PDA

View Full Version : Any good factory 9mm 1911s out there?

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-08-10, 19:46
Hey guys,

I am toying with the idea of buying a range toy 9mm 1911. Anybody make a decent one these days?

rjacobs
02-08-10, 19:57
Springfield EMP or there is a model by STI that I have heard good things about. Not sure if there are others.

John_Wayne777
02-08-10, 19:58
Hey guys,

I am toying with the idea of buying a range toy 9mm 1911. Anybody make a decent one these days?

LAV's 9mm 1911 from Wilson seems to be working OK for him.

Shawn.L
02-08-10, 19:59
I have a Sprigfield Loaded Full size 5". Came with a craptastic trigger, but new sear and some sring work, little polishin here and there and its passable now.

runs 100% so far

I got it just a couple months ago used, prob have 600+ rounds through, HP's, mixed ammo, factory reloads, WWB, cheap crap.

I put an aluminum buff in it and it just sits still while slide reciprocates.

Ive heard of bad examples as well, mine runs.
Ive heard good things about the STI single stacks as well.

I was in a class with a guy running a DW that had a few issues,

p7fl
02-08-10, 20:11
Picked up a new STI Legacy in 9mm about 2 years ago. Gun is at 3K rounds now without a single failure. ;) Running CCI Blazer 115 ammo and Tripp 10 round magazines.
Ejector broke at 1k but was easily replaced.
Pistol is used mostly in USPSA and Steel matches.

Fly'nBuff
02-08-10, 20:46
On a lark I picked up a STI Trojan in 9mm a couple of months ago. I didn't want to drop big money on a Wilson and have a 9mm 1911 turn out to be a dud, so I took the middle ground and went with the STI. Boy, does this gun shoot like a house on fire! I went through Dawson Precision and had them perform their voodoo, install an S&A magwell, and a DP FO front sight. I was a little unsure how I would like the chain link stippling, but I've become a fan.

I've run about 1200 rounds through it and she just got her first cleaning the other day. Filthy on the inside, but she didn't miss a beat. She cleaned up real nice too! The Trojan worked right out of the box, but I'm sure the good folks at DP had something to do with that.

They only thing that I don't like about the gun are the "thick" grips. I changed those out with some Wilson's I had laying around. I also thought I was having some mag issues, but I think it's operator error. I found myself occasionally riding the slide stop and not allowing the slide to lock back on an empty mag. The supplied Metalform and my Wilson ETM mags work just fine.

Knowing what I know now, maybe I should have ponied up for the Wilson, but for half the price, I don't have any regrets. Good luck with your search. There are few things more fun than shooting a nice 1911 at half the price and half the recoil.

MarshallDodge
02-08-10, 21:27
I have a Springfield Loaded 9mm that I picked up slightly used about 5 years ago. It is as accurate as any 1911 and runs like a Swiss watch. I keep hearing how 9mm is the wrong choice for a 1911 but my sample of one has been excellent.

The barrel is ramped which may aid in the reliability. My 11 year old son shoots it when we go to the range and after the last range session he informed me that he would like one for his birthday.

milosz
02-09-10, 02:19
I recently traded for an older Springfield Loaded 9mm - black Novaks instead of the three-dots they're using now, but post-whenever Springfield started putting the lock in the mainspring. Fantastic shooter, completely reliable with ball. Balked at some 147gr Gold Dots I had sitting around, but I'm not terribly concerned with it's hollowpoint performance.

I need to order a GI guide rod setup and new recoil spring for it...

NCPatrolAR
02-09-10, 02:20

Didn't know he had one in 9mm

13F3OL7
02-09-10, 05:50
It's not really a production 1911, but I have a Fusion commander in 9mm. It has worked well for me through the 400 or so rounds I've fired. I had a few occaisions were it did not fully extract spent casings from some reloads with a low powder charge & a 14# recoil spring. 3.8 grains I believe. Factory ammo & reloads with a higher charge are no problem. Nothing wrong with the firearm itself.

Don't know if that will help you any.

v/r
Aaron

d90king
02-09-10, 06:50
I think in all honesty it is a crap shoot... It seems that for every one "happy" owner of a 9mm 1911 there are many others who are not as "happy"...

Wilson IMHO would be one of your better options to try. You can get them to run, but sometimes it takes a little work, that being the case Wilson's service is excellent so that would be my choice... Best of luck!

Baer also makes a few models in 9mm and depending on your use he might have a build that will work....

PlatoCATM
02-09-10, 07:22
Not sure if you want a custom for a range toy, but I know a 1911 'smith who made one that got a favorable review in combat handguns. When I shot it, which was minimal to be honest, it ran well and shot soft. He said the hard part is getting good mags for it.

http://www.defensivecreations.com/

Mr. Smith
02-09-10, 08:52
Wilson solved the mag problem with their tactical elite 9mm mags the guns.
We do lots of guns in 9mm it just takes some tuning and proper parts.
First the mags then the extractor. The STI product is what we suggest.

trukreltrog
02-09-10, 08:54
A friend of mine has a kimber aegis 9mm, nice gun. Very accurate and has run flawless so far. I'd like to have one myself,,,:)

bigb4015
02-09-10, 10:06
The S&W pro series is pretty bad ass.

Shawn.L
02-09-10, 13:29

the Wilson ETM's for my 9mm have have run without issue

mourneblade
02-09-10, 14:28
I have a STI 4.15 that's very reliable. I have a STI Guardian in 9mm that's having issues with return to battery. The choices for officer size magazines aren't that great.

misanthropist
02-10-10, 01:40

Pardon me, when you say the STI product is what you suggest, is that the extractor you're referring to or the entire gun?

mike benedict
02-10-10, 07:02
I have several (I know hard to believe)
A Springfield loaded 9mm runs well no issues
A STI top end on a Wilson frames which is my favorite
A Ed Brown Class A which runs perfect but will not work with Wilson mags

Mike

ccoker
02-10-10, 08:19
Larry Vickers is running a WIlson CQB in 9mm
I emailed him yesterday, says it runs like a champ and he loves it

seriously considering one

htxred
02-10-10, 09:55
i have a STI ranger II that originally started out as a single stack and had just about close to 9k rounds through it. then i bought a wide body frame from STI and had my local gunsmith convert it, 16k rounds later still running.

mags are a big issue with 9mm 1911s, everyone is saying that wilson fixed the problem with their ETM mags, but trip research mags have been out for a very long time, the ETM mags look similar to them......

Sone
02-10-10, 11:56
I shoot a STI Trojan 9mm that works great I am using the Springfield mags with it

dtibbals
02-10-10, 22:58
Greg,
I have 3 friends shooting IDPA with STI Trojan 9mm that have been running great. I also have a buddy who bought a Les Bear P2 9mm that I shot last week and man its awesome!!! You can have a STI Trojan for around $1200 and the Bear is right at around $2k. Both are good choices....I did email LV about a new 1911 in 45 and when given the choice of Wilson, Bear, Ed Brown and Nighthawk he told me hands down Wilson is the current top dog. I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it.

David

tip2oo3
02-11-10, 07:54
drool.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/images/specops9.jpg

ccoker
02-11-10, 08:15
I have the Spec Ops and love it
I am also "this close" to ordering a custom WC Elite in grey

very similar to this

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7181/img2393h.jpg

flush cut barrel and reverse crowned
ooh...

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9548/img2400e.jpg

TOrrock
02-11-10, 08:21
Larry Vickers is running a WIlson CQB in 9mm
I emailed him yesterday, says it runs like a champ and he loves it

seriously considering one

He's used it in several classes that I've attended and it has run like a top.

However....

It's being run by Larry Vickers......;)

ccoker
02-11-10, 08:24
He's used it in several classes that I've attended and it has run like a top.

However....

It's being run by Larry Vickers......;)

are you implying that we won't be able to shoot like him just by buying the same gun as he has?

TOrrock
02-11-10, 08:28
are you implying that we won't be able to shoot like him just by buying the same gun as he has?

Hah! Far be it from me to imply that.....:D

ccoker
02-11-10, 08:59
I am a lifelong guitar player, a long time ago there was an article where Ted Nugent was quoted as saying he did a gig with Van Halen and he played through Eddie's rig... said "I still sounded like me!"
he couldn't coax that elusive early VH "brown tone"

GermanSynergy
02-11-10, 09:02

That thing was a work of art!

ccoker
02-11-10, 10:54
That thing was a work of art!

that's one of the reasons I want one :)

Same thing with my Wilson 6.8, it's gun art
the fit of everything, zero play between upper and lower receiver, the clean machining on the parts. The fit and finish is top notch.
And the TTU trigger is PERFECT

John_Wayne777
02-11-10, 11:53

The implication is that if there is any individual on the planet who can take a 9mm 1911 and make it work, it would be Larry Vickers. You know...seeing as how he's one of the foremost experts on the platform. For mere mortals a 9mm 1911 can be an invitation to disaster.

...which is why Mr. Vickers himself has said on many occasions that he regards 9mm 1911's as range toys only.

ccoker
02-11-10, 12:40
I know who Larry is, and my post was intended as a joke in regards to buying one enabling me to shoot as well as him.

I want a 9mm 1911 for a range/IDPA/Steel/fun

But I trust Wilson to make one that runs right...

trg42
02-23-10, 18:00
I have a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm, and two customer 1911 single stacks in 9mm and a STI double stack in 9 Major

All the people who crap on 1911 in 9mm have bad experience on feeding issues ( especially with a non ramped barrel )

I have tried every brand 1911 single stacks and by a wide wide margin the best are the "Springfield style mags " that has a little ramp on the front to catch the round and force it up back in line with the follower. These are better than even the expensive Colt mags. Even the Wilson mags don't have this little ramp

Here is a link ( http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=44075/sku/Standard_Mag_w_bumper )

As far as double stacks go, the STIs / SVIs are a great choice. The Mags in 9mm are flawless feeding

My STI in 9 Major ( 124Gr at a sizzling 1400 fps ) has about 200 to 400 rds per range session and only gets cleaned every 1500 . As the slide starts to run sluggish I dump in some CLP and it keeps chugging away. Runs like Swiss watch

Anyone who says 1911s are unreliable has not shot a STI 2011 / 1911

Matt-man
02-23-10, 21:40
Another Springfield Loaded owner here. Mine has the ramped barrel and runs fine with ball (I've never tried HPs in it). The trigger on mine is pretty good - light with just a little bit of creep. I use Metalform mags, both the ones with the spacer in the rear and the ones with the crimp in the front, with no issues.

02-24-10, 11:46
Some years ago I had a Springfield loaded in 9mm. It ran great, no complaints but I sold it just because I didn't like shiny stainless and I had a friend with small hands who really wanted it. I now have a older blued Springfield in the mil-spec configuration that now runs great due mainly to a extractor change. It is of the non-ramped variety.

User Name
02-24-10, 14:12
I was looking for the same thing back in 03. I stayed away from the Trojan STI as they had one or in the end several in the rental booth at the range. They kept going back to STI. In STI's defense they kept working at getting it's issues corrected (I forget what they were) but the things just had issue after issue. I bought a Springfield "Loaded" after having a gunsmith smooth it up it ran like a top. It was a "range" gun but it ran extremely well. Out of the box the best way my memory can recall is simply gritty. In the end I wish I had kept it. It was a great gun in the end.

User Name
02-24-10, 14:15
Oh on the subject of ball ammo. Mine ran like a top with Speer Gold Dots. No issues.

cdunn
02-24-10, 16:55
I USE to own a kimber 9mm,that's all I'm saying,I was taught if I didn't have something good to say ,don't say anything.I'm in line for a Berryhill 9mm

awmp
02-24-10, 18:05
STI Ranger II , Commander size 9mm 1911, never a problem. I like it so much I purchased an STI Ranger II in 45acp

Pappabear
02-24-10, 22:29
The barrel is ramped which may aid in the reliability. My 11 year old son shoots it when we go to the range and after the last range session he informed me that he would like one for his birthday.

Now thats what Pappabear likes to hear. My 11 year old shot my 1911, being a 45, he had all he wanted for a while. The 9 is the ticket for the boys. You get a vote from papabear to get him one- then sell yours and you'll have a new one:D

maximus83
02-24-10, 22:52
I don't see it often, and know it's not common (some of the reasons have already been indicated in this thread), but I'm curious how many folks have a 9mm 1911 that they are confident enough in to carry it?

WillBrink
02-25-10, 08:51
Hey guys,

For the $$$, the new S&W seems a winner. I have shot one at a an IDPA match (borrowed from a friend for the day) and I wouldn't hesitate to own one. It was a joy to shoot, and for the $$$, fit/finish, trigger, pull, etc was great. Obviously, depends on what you plan to use it for, but for matches, range time, courses, = winner. For other more serious uses (CCW, duty, etc) have not worked with the gun enough to comment there. Some would avoid on the schwartz-like safety system alone if intended for SD/Duty.

WillBrink
02-25-10, 08:57
drool.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/images/specops9.jpg

I put up a thread on it if interested:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=45298&highlight=spec-op

Personally, I want one.

ShipWreck
02-26-10, 20:47
I have a 9mm full rail operator - sweet gun. But, it is a Custom Shop Springer. So, it was rather expensive.

This thing weighs approx 50 oz with the thick 9mm bull barrel. While it's not QUITE like shooting a 22, it is somewhat close. Low recoiling gun.

I did just order another 9mm custom shop gun in Dec 2009 - a Custom Carry (5" non railed 1911 in 9mm). I hope to have it in by the end of the year.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Operator-red2.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Operator-red1.jpg

ccoker
02-26-10, 22:17
I put up a thread on it if interested:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=45298&highlight=spec-op

Personally, I want one.

Everytime I shoot mine, I love it more and more
the grip is ever so slightly bigger than a singlestack of course, but it just points so naturally and now with well over a thousand rounds through it the thing is broken in and is very, very smooth. Great trigger and just feels very, very solid and tight.

I may very well sell my Springfield loaded stainless 45 as I don't really have much desire to shoot it any more

Pappabear
02-27-10, 08:21
I have a 9mm full rail operator - sweet gun. But, it is a Custom Shop Springer. So, it was rather expensive.

This thing weighs approx 50 oz with the thick 9mm bull barrel. While it's not QUITE like shooting a 22, it is somewhat close. Low recoiling gun.

I did just order another 9mm custom shop gun in Dec 2009 - a Custom Carry (5" non railed 1911 in 9mm). I hope to have it in by the end of the year.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Operator-red2.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Operator-red1.jpg

Shipwreck, That gun is so badass. wow.:cool:

ccoker
02-27-10, 08:53
it is a bad ass looking gun isn't it?

ShipWreck
02-27-10, 11:14
Thanks. I really like it. I was almost tempted to buy another with the Black T finish, but I ordered the 9mm custom carry instead.