PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Texas?

jhs1969
02-08-10, 21:06
How is the job market there? I have a background in manufacturing and security. What region are you in? I kind of like the idea of moving to one of the last free states;)

Signel
02-08-10, 21:20
I am from texas.. The job market must be good. In dallas, I have been counting all the out of state plates I see on the highway. I've counted upwards of 50 out of state plates in a 2 hour drive around town one weekend.

It sure seems like people are moving here for work in droves.

SeriousStudent
02-08-10, 21:35
What kind of manufacturing? And what kind of security?

Is there a particular area of the state you wish to live in?

jhs1969
02-08-10, 22:01
What kind of manufacturing? And what kind of security?

Is there a particular area of the state you wish to live in?

I've got about 20 years automotive manufacturing exp., which includes stampings, assembly welding, fab welding, electronic manufacturing, material handling (OH crane, fork truck, shipping & receiving). I think this should transfer over to nearly any type of manufacturing, I think:cool:

I worked for an armored truck company and won the state wide handgun competion with them. And I've had my CCW for over 15 years. This is where I've had the most enjoyment with my work. It didn't pay as well as the manufacturing in this area but in this economy I don't think I would mind at all.

Being from E TN I would prefer the hills and mountains of W Texas but would explore other regions if that is where the jobs are. Things are getting very tight here and I'm just begining to look over the horizion.

SeriousStudent
02-08-10, 22:11
There is a GM plant in Arlington. I know they just restarted after a month of so shutdown. They make SUV's, I believe.

I would say the best way to start looking is to hunt through Monster, Dice and Hotjobs.

The job market is better here in Texas than most other areas, I believe. I'm not familiar with any openings right now. But there are plenty of armored truck companies here.

jhs1969
02-08-10, 22:18
There is a GM plant in Arlington. I know they just restarted after a month of so shutdown. They make SUV's, I believe.

I would say the best way to start looking is to hunt through Monster, Dice and Hotjobs.

The job market is better here in Texas than most other areas, I believe. I'm not familiar with any openings right now. But there are plenty of armored truck companies here.

Thanks. I will dig deeper into it, thanks again.

Artos
02-08-10, 22:19
I've got about 20 years automotive manufacturing exp., which includes stampings, assembly welding, fab welding, electronic manufacturing, material handling (OH crane, fork truck, shipping & receiving). I think this should transfer over to nearly any type of manufacturing, I think:cool:

What area of mfg do you want to get into?? If you wouldn't mind living along the border, there are opportunities.

I'm a sales rep for the mfg industry down here and would be glad to help in any way I can. I will warn you right now the terrain and culture will not be what you are used to.

BTW...my roots on my Dad's side are in and around Dixon TN.

jhs1969
02-08-10, 22:50
What area of mfg do you want to get into?? If you wouldn't mind living along the border, there are opportunities.

I'm a sales rep for the mfg industry down here and would be glad to help in any way I can. I will warn you right now the terrain and culture will not be what you are used to.

BTW...my roots on my Dad's side are in and around Dixon TN.

I don't guess I am looking for a certain type of manufacturing, I think I would be an asset to nearly any type of mfg. I recently sent a resume to a couple of firearms manfactors in Nashville and another in Georgia. I haven't heard anything yet. My exp. has been with stampings and welded componets weighing 70-80 lbs down to the smallest electronic componets used in automotive control units.

What industry do you work in? I would be interested in learning more about these opportunities. Feel free to PM me if you think that would be better. I've already told my family I'm ready to move to the South West after all the rain we have had in the past two years. My wife and I have long talked of moving near the Flagstaff AZ area so I think I could adapt OK.

We just looked at the TN map and couldn't find Dixon, we did find Dickson. Just west of Nashville, and my wife and I both thougt there was a Dixon but couldn't find it, but my map is over 20 years old:)

brit
02-08-10, 23:01
Caterpillar is planning on opening an engine building plant in Seguin, TX

they're currently hiring 800 new employees.

Seguin is 20 miles East of San Antonio. The city of seguin isnt the best, but every other city in the San Antonio extended metro area is nice.

Housing is cheap, 1700sq ft, 4bed, 2bath, basement, down the street from me in New Braunfels is going for 145,000

LMT42
02-08-10, 23:11
Texas is filling up fast since we have a few jobs and no state income tax. At least you're not from California. ;)

ForTehNguyen
02-09-10, 07:45
Toyota Tundra factory in San Antonio, Caterpillar Engine Factory in Seguin. Oil and gas is the big thing in Texas especially Houston.

Artos
02-09-10, 08:04
I don't guess I am looking for a certain type of manufacturing, I think I would be an asset to nearly any type of mfg. I recently sent a resume to a couple of firearms manfactors in Nashville and another in Georgia. I haven't heard anything yet. My exp. has been with stampings and welded componets weighing 70-80 lbs down to the smallest electronic componets used in automotive control units.

What industry do you work in? I would be interested in learning more about these opportunities. Feel free to PM me if you think that would be better. I've already told my family I'm ready to move to the South West after all the rain we have had in the past two years. My wife and I have long talked of moving near the Flagstaff AZ area so I think I could adapt OK.

We just looked at the TN map and couldn't find Dixon, we did find Dickson. Just west of Nashville, and my wife and I both thougt there was a Dixon but couldn't find it, but my map is over 20 years old:)

I'm an independent sales rep for the mfg / maquila industry. I spend most my time across the border in Reynosa and focus mostly in the wiring harness / value add (electronic assemblies) but I rep all sorts of commodities from stampings to die castings to injection molding.

I see lots of folks get transfered to the various plants and border areas are just different. I would say it's 50/50 with a love - hate feeling once they are here and the hate group can't wait to return north. My advice if you are serious would be to come visit the area to see if it suits you and the wife before kicking any tires for a job. It's gotta be home first (expecially since you are married) I'm located in the Rio Grande Valley and close to South Padre Island and the mouth of the rio grande river....to give you an idea, I have to drive 3.5 hours to visit my sister in san antonio (thus, deep south tx)

I'm sure you are correct on the spelling...I've only been to TN once 20+ years ago for family reunion and had a blast. My GrandDad visited this area with a buddy of his, went back to TN and pulled Dad and my uncle out of school and just moved. He HATED the cold but be warned you will have 4-5 months of 100+ weather and it only snows every 100 years and only a trace at that. Our winters rock though & one of the best places in the greater 48 if you like to hunt and fish.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info and we can exchange emails.

tuff
02-09-10, 13:48
The Security industry here in Texas is directly regulated by the Dept of Public Safety. Depending on what level of work you want will determine what commission from the state you will need, there are four levels.
Level 1 and 2 you can do online then turn in via your employer Level 3 is for armed security work and involved some class time. Level 4 is a Personal protection officers commission for doing "body guard" work...it also takes some class time. If you want to know the ins and outs of the guidelines head over to this url.... http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/

Good luck in your endevors..

DragonDoc
02-09-10, 15:33
How is the job market there? I have a background in manufacturing and security. What region are you in? I kind of like the idea of moving to one of the last free states;)

The Toyota plant here in San Antonio is opening a new assembly line for Tacomas. The Tundra line has been running two shifts for a while now.

jhs1969
02-09-10, 20:56
I'm an independent sales rep for the mfg / maquila industry. I spend most my time across the border in Reynosa and focus mostly in the wiring harness / value add (electronic assemblies) but I rep all sorts of commodities from stampings to die castings to injection molding.

I see lots of folks get transfered to the various plants and border areas are just different. I would say it's 50/50 with a love - hate feeling once they are here and the hate group can't wait to return north. My advice if you are serious would be to come visit the area to see if it suits you and the wife before kicking any tires for a job. It's gotta be home first (expecially since you are married) I'm located in the Rio Grande Valley and close to South Padre Island and the mouth of the rio grande river....to give you an idea, I have to drive 3.5 hours to visit my sister in san antonio (thus, deep south tx)

I'm sure you are correct on the spelling...I've only been to TN once 20+ years ago for family reunion and had a blast. My GrandDad visited this area with a buddy of his, went back to TN and pulled Dad and my uncle out of school and just moved. He HATED the cold but be warned you will have 4-5 months of 100+ weather and it only snows every 100 years and only a trace at that. Our winters rock though & one of the best places in the greater 48 if you like to hunt and fish.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info and we can exchange emails.

Thanks for the replies. My wife says she will follow me where ever I go/ where ever there is work but she does hold some concern for the border regions. I believe it comes from all the news coverage of the drug violence along the borders. This may be kind of a silly question, but we have a German Shepard, would the border region be too much heat for her? I've been digging through maps/atlas's and so far we think we might like the Lubbock/Amarillo region. Do you or anyone else here know anything about this region?

jhs1969
02-09-10, 21:01
The Security industry here in Texas is directly regulated by the Dept of Public Safety. Depending on what level of work you want will determine what commission from the state you will need, there are four levels.
Level 1 and 2 you can do online then turn in via your employer Level 3 is for armed security work and involved some class time. Level 4 is a Personal protection officers commission for doing "body guard" work...it also takes some class time. If you want to know the ins and outs of the guidelines head over to this url.... http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/

Good luck in your endevors..

Thank you. I will look into this site. If I persue another armored truck job, do I need to do anything online first or let the company send me for training. Also, what is Texas's laws on CCW? I've had my permit for over 15 years, would I have any difficulties getting a Texas permit?

jhs1969
02-09-10, 21:05
The Toyota plant here in San Antonio is opening a new assembly line for Tacomas. The Tundra line has been running two shifts for a while now.

Do you work for Toyota? Some of our major contracts from both companies I worked for were Toyota contracts. I have been to Georgetown KY's Toyota Camry plant a half dozen times for work.

Artos
02-09-10, 21:20
Thanks for the replies. My wife says she will follow me where ever I go/ where ever there is work but she does hold some concern for the border regions. I believe it comes from all the news coverage of the drug violence along the borders. This may be kind of a silly question, but we have a German Shepard, would the border region be too much heat for her? I've been digging through maps/atlas's and so far we think we might like the Lubbock/Amarillo region. Do you or anyone else here know anything about this region?

Have a neighbor who has a gs that is a 100% outdoor dog and I guess all breeds get used to their area like us...I have two labs and know guys who say theirs sleep outside in the snow!!! Heck, mine get a little heater pointed at their igloo if it gets below 40.

Border violence is here but it's restricted to the thugs and where they hang and happen to let loose. Not gonna lie, there was shootout in Reynosa last week. My choice of occupation takes me to a country where the 2nd ammendment doesn't help and where I need it the most...it's something I deal with. I go from the point of entry to the maquila parks and back across. It's Not like the days back in high shool where we went to go party every weekend. I was born and raised here and I guess that helps with the path I've chosen. I understand why many will not cross.

Gonna have to pass on the lubbock region knowledge amigo...a looong way from me.

I think tuff would agree that you will have NO issues getting your tx chl once you are a resident;-)

brit
02-09-10, 22:18

Due to decreased demand, Didn't they go for a month without producing tundras, say about, 6 months ago?

DragonDoc
02-10-10, 01:33
Do you work for Toyota? Some of our major contracts from both companies I worked for were Toyota contracts. I have been to Georgetown KY's Toyota Camry plant a half dozen times for work.

No I'm active duty military. Toyota is a major manufacturer in this city. The city has bent over backwards to make them comfortable and stay in the city. There are also steel working jobs available on Fort Sam as they are building new structures.