PDA

View Full Version : best length for a 16" free float hand guard

john1022
02-08-10, 22:14
I am doing a from scratch build of my first AR.

its based on a

1 mega billit matched set
2 Noveske 16" SS mid-len gas system with low profile GB

The Larue 11" free float looks best on paper and they claim it just covers a mid length gas system.

Would that be the length / vendor you would recommend ?

I promise to post pics when done

John

Boss302
02-08-10, 22:21
Daniel Defense Lite 12" IMO.

S391
02-08-10, 23:01
Daniel Defense Lite 12" IMO.

I would have to agree!

sewvacman
02-08-10, 23:05
I believe 11" is about as short as you want to go if you don't want the GB exposed. The longer the rail the heavier it will be and the slower you'll be at whipping it around. That said you will also have a longer sight radius which gives better accuracy, which is why you free float to begin with.
What's the best length?
What are you going to do with it?

Benchrest shooting? Zombie killin'?

I've had only experience with the DD lite rail. I liked it and it was well made. LaRue makes great stuff as well. I didn't buy LaRue because the rail did not come flush with the upper like the DD which gave me more optics mounting options without getting into specialized mounts. Can't go wrong with either company and if you don't like it I'm sure someone will be glad to take it off your hands.

just my uneducated opinion. btw there are gobs of threads comparing these two manufacturers and it all comes down to personal preference.

FWIW I'm going to try out the VTAC/Troy extreme on my next one. The 11" model.

seb5
02-09-10, 07:04
12 looks better than 11 on middie. Or a new Troy 13" extreme wouls look good also.

smokey0118
02-09-10, 07:42
thought of going full? gives you nice long sight radius and plenty of room for stuff. Makes it look badass too. does tend to make it a little front-heavy though...but you can get a better extension with your support hand...you can't really get a full extension with a mid-length rail system unless you're a midget

john1022
02-09-10, 07:48
use is just paper and rare hunting

Based on this I will look hard at the 12" DD system. It's a SS barrel and it is not coated so longer is better.

Did not know that the LaRue rail would not be on the same plane with the upper rail.

And it's almost 100 dollars less as I see it.

Thanks

John

Selftest
02-09-10, 16:12
I just installed a Larue 12 on my BCM midlength. I really like the fact that the lower rail section is "tucked in" closer to the barrel. The rail is pretty light, and has served well so far. 12 inches, in my opinion, is the perfect length for a 16" gun. I have a picture somewhere around here...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_D1EY9mmfYI8/S3Hap3u1vlI/AAAAAAAAACM/5zn8eRF9YNo/s800/P2040148.JPG

BJV
02-09-10, 16:26
Troy TRX Extreme 13". It's slim, lightweight, easy to install, and you only have rails where you want them.

Rated21R
02-09-10, 16:28
12 inch DD Lite imo.

thopkins22
02-09-10, 16:33
Did not know that the LaRue rail would not be on the same plane with the upper rail.

It's on the same plane, there's just a gap between where the upper receiver starts and the where the rail begins. I almost never see anyone utilizing that space, so I believe that for most people it's simply cosmetic preference.

All of my rails are continuous and from Daniel Defense, but that's mostly due to not wanting to screw around with the FSB.

ColdDeadHands
02-09-10, 21:12
thought of going full? gives you nice long sight radius and plenty of room for stuff. Makes it look badass too. does tend to make it a little front-heavy though...but you can get a better extension with your support hand...you can't really get a full extension with a mid-length rail system unless you're a midget

Ditto! I love my 14" SWS Rail on my Noveske Recon. It works great with the AFG!

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/mw1311/My%20Guns/DSC_0093.jpg

YVK
02-09-10, 21:55
My first 16 inch middy had 10 inch rail. My second 16 inch middy, built 2 years later, had 10 inch rail.

Depending on type of gasblock, it will be either mostly or halfway covered, enough of protection, IMO. Of course, my gasblocks are pinned anyway.

I don't need extra-weight unless unless I need extra-length, and I don't need more than 10 inches of rail. And, yes, I've trained with LAV and Magpul, and I do subscribe to aggressive support arm position up forward, and I am 6'1''.

But yes, 10 inch rail doesn't look as cool as longer ones.

yallknowho
02-09-10, 22:34
12" FTW. I actually like the aesthetics of something shorter, but the longer rail lets me get a grip closer to the muzzle which I prefer.

Belmont31R
02-09-10, 22:37
I think 12" is good. Ive had two 16" mid-lengths with 12" rails now.

Personally I like the profile of the LaRue more than the DD Lite, and it has built in QD cups with anti-rotation. If I were to get a DD I'd like the RIS II which has a slimmer profile, and removable bottom rail.