PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using "Bug Juice"?

Col_Crocs
02-09-10, 07:31
"Bug juice"(1 part STP Engine oil Treatment, 1 part ATF, 1 part Fully synthetic oil - 10w Mobil 1 was the specific oil mentioned and finally 10% Hoppes 9) came about months ago in one of the threads on lubes and was curious if anyone around the site is actually running their weapon systems with it... I have been and have so far been pretty happy with it. It's nice and thick and stays in place bec of the engine oil treatment, Lubes bec. of the fully synthetic oil and ATF as well as penetrate due to the Hoppes 9 and, again, the ATF.
Ok for the second and actual query... Has anyone actually observed any settling of some sort during storage? I store mine in a translucent squeeze bottle as well as an old jelly jar and have noticed some white stuff settling on the bottom. Im suspecting it's the Hoppes 9 solvent as the haze on the bottom appears to be approx. 10% of the entire solution but upon use (without shaking), the whole thing is still dominated with the Hoppes aroma or stench -- depending who you ask... :)
The reason I ask is that Im a bit reluctant to do away with the solvent component as it gives it a CLP like quality in a sense but at the same time am wondering about it's effectivity due to its inability to mix with the rest of the solution.

ST911
02-09-10, 09:46
With excellent CLP products like Slip 2000, EWL, WS-CLP, and others available, why even mess with home brews like that?

NMBigfoot02
02-09-10, 10:24
I mixed some up after reading that thread, but I messed with the proportions. My mix was like this:

1 x 32 oz bottle of Mobil 1
1 x 32 oz bottle of ATF
1 x 16 oz bottle of STP Oil Treatment
1 x 4 ox bottle of Hoppes

I put it in an old clear wine jug, and at the beginning it looked like tomato juice. It eventually settled out and started to look like blood. That's when I noticed the sediment you mentioned.

I've used it on my handguns and my AKs, and it seems to stick pretty well and keeps the carbon build up fluid. Kind of like a heavy CLP type oil.

Overall, it's probably no better than any other lubricants out there, but it does cost less per oz than others I've seen. I've also used it as a cutting oil and case lube with decent results.

Thomas M-4
02-09-10, 10:48
The sediment is most likely from the transmission fluid it has friction modifiers to allow the clutches in the automatic transmission to work in oil.
I never had much luck with home brews alot simpler for me just to use straight 5w-20w mobil1 synthetic.

Col_Crocs
02-09-10, 18:24
With excellent CLP products like Slip 2000, EWL, WS-CLP, and others available, why even mess with home brews like that?

Well, some do it for cost while some out of necessity, if I may say. Sorry to forget his username but the guy who shared the formula said it was formulated by the guys out in the sandbox saying it kept their weapons well lubed as well as repelled dust very well -- something he also said he noticed but I have yet to give a full on test personally.
In my case, I just like to mess with everything. :D Im the type that likes to learn details and even learn how to park and anodize, will modify parts if I think it would improve it, put together a weapon on Photoshop prior to a build plan, design rails with my personal preferences on SketchUp, all the way down to alternatives to cleaning patches -- washed and cut up baby wipes. I just cant help it... :p

Col_Crocs
02-09-10, 18:28
I mixed some up after reading that thread, but I messed with the proportions. My mix was like this:

1 x 32 oz bottle of Mobil 1
1 x 32 oz bottle of ATF
1 x 16 oz bottle of STP Oil Treatment
1 x 4 ox bottle of Hoppes

I put it in an old clear wine jug, and at the beginning it looked like tomato juice. It eventually settled out and started to look like blood. That's when I noticed the sediment you mentioned.

I've used it on my handguns and my AKs, and it seems to stick pretty well and keeps the carbon build up fluid. Kind of like a heavy CLP type oil.

Overall, it's probably no better than any other lubricants out there, but it does cost less per oz than others I've seen. I've also used it as a cutting oil and case lube with decent results.

Definitely cost less for me. THe only thing I bought out of the listed ingredients was the solvent. Everything else I had in the garage. :D
As for your proportions, nothing wrong with that IMHO. I personally think the amount of engine oil treatment can be subjective as to how thick you want you batch to be.

Col_Crocs
02-09-10, 18:30
The sediment is most likely from the transmission fluid it has friction modifiers to allow the clutches in the automatic transmission to work in oil.
I never had much luck with home brews alot simpler for me just to use straight 5w-20w mobil1 synthetic.

Thanks! Im contemplating pouring it into another jar leaving the sediment in the bottom of the original jar or sticking a BB or marble in my squeeze bottle. :)