PDA

View Full Version : Mag-well for SA Operator?

Pappabear
02-09-10, 12:11
I want to put a mag well on my SA Operator. Its the Full sized OD green one. What mag well do you suggest?

Also, I know there is a custom 1911 shop owner (Phx AZ area) that criuses this sight, could you PM me if you view this post?

Thanks guys.

Sidewinder6
02-09-10, 13:14
Cant help you with the color, but the Smith and Alexander integrated Mainspring housing and mag well is quite nice. You may want to have it fitted but it is fairly painless.

glockshooter
02-09-10, 13:24
Smith and Alexander is what Springfield uses on their factory guns with magwells

Pappabear
02-09-10, 13:34
Cant help you with the color, but the Smith and Alexander integrated Mainspring housing and mag well is quite nice. You may want to have it fitted but it is fairly painless.

The color is not an issue. Black is perfect. It has black parts that look very cool which accents the OD green. I only mentioned the color to help people identify the gun from other Operators. Also, I did a search and found one of the gunsmiths in Phx. I still want feedback on "best" magwells.

Should I ditch that mainspring housing with lock while I am at it? It has never caused a problem, can it?

Business_Casual
02-09-10, 13:40
Do you need a magwell? It does mean you have to use pads or bumpers on your magazines to do a quick reload. Have you thought about just having the existing metal beveled?

M_P

Wally
02-09-10, 14:56
Try www.heirloomprecision.com. They use the Stan Chen magwell often. Also the Heinie magwell option, but both of those require a gunsmith to install. The S&A is a good drop-in. Wally

Pappabear
02-09-10, 16:46
Do you need a magwell? It does mean you have to use pads or bumpers on your magazines to do a quick reload. Have you thought about just having the existing metal beveled?

M_P

The Operator is slightly beveled and polished a bit. Which may make the fitting more of a hassle?? I have been spoiled by the larger magwells. However, it would probably be good to practice more without. I know after a I shoot my DA/SA pistols which require more concentration on my part, I shoot my 1911's better.

Sidewinder6
02-09-10, 20:04
You may want to buy the spring, follower and a pin kit and rebuild the MSH from scratch. Use the same spring tension for the new stuff. Everything discussed here is on Brownells.

maximus83
02-10-10, 01:42

M_P

Amen to this. If the gun is being carried or using for serious defensive work, I'd think twice about using a magwell. That's just me--many folks have magwells on carry guns and like them ok. But they'll have a slimmer profile without.