PDA

View Full Version : What is your AR for??

ztf HITMAN
02-09-10, 13:38
It seems that when knowledge-seeking people ask the question here about 'Which AR should I buy?' There seems to be replies along the lines of 'Well, what is the intended purpose?'
Well, What is your AR used for?? And to that particular answer, what attributes do you look for in a rifle/carbine??
Personally, my AR use is geared to Home/Personal Defense. I don't care about 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I want combat accuracy. The ability to consistently, and quickly put shots into the Kill Zone at Urban Combat distances. 100yds and less. I want a carbine that'll go bang every time. I want a carbine that'll cycle and fire shitty ammo, because that may be the only option at a given time. I want my gun to have a 1/7 bbl twist, because I want to be able to shoot heavier ammo, as well as light. I do want Chrome lined barrels and chambers for durability, even though some degree of accuracy is sacrificed as opposed to SS barrels. I want my Go To Gun to be of a quality manufacturer, so that it can be relied on. I don't want something so heavy and loaded down with crap that it becomes a hinderance to carry/use.
That's my purpose, in a nutshell.

Cameron
02-09-10, 13:44
In a particular order:

1. Plinking
2. Training
3. Competing
4. Hunting
5. Self-Defense

rifleman2000
02-09-10, 13:51
Mine is a mechanical device that uses chemical energy to propel 55 grain chunks of metal at 3,200 (or thereabout) fps, in a relatively straight, predictable, and controllable path. This tool is an advanced hole puncher; and is capable of transfering energy where I deem necessary, amplifying the mechanical energy of my arm exponentially.

ztf HITMAN
02-09-10, 13:52
Mine is a mechanical device that uses chemical energy to propel 55 grain chunks of metal at 3,200 (or thereabout) fps, in a relatively straight, predictable, and controllable path. This tool is an advanced hole puncher; and is capable of transfering energy where I deem necessary, amplifying the mechanical energy of my arm exponentially.

Awesome!

tuff
02-09-10, 13:57
Mine are used for a abundance of things but the main things are:

1. personal defense
2. Defense of others
3.Training
4. Work

citizensoldier16
02-09-10, 14:05
propel 55 grain chunks of metal at 3,200 (or thereabout) fps, in a relatively straight, predictable, and controllable path.

Steerable bullets!!! Where can I buy those?!?!? Hahaha, just yankin ure chain. :D

c0b2a
02-09-10, 14:10

1. personal defense
2. Defense of others
3.Training
4. Work

yep that just about sums it up for me too.

whiterabbit05
02-09-10, 14:17
3-ring hole puncher

sadmin
02-09-10, 14:28
In a particular order:

1. Plinking
2. Training
3. Hunting
5. Self-Defense

ETA: im not good enough to compete yet.

rifleman2000
02-09-10, 14:58
Steerable bullets!!! Where can I buy those?!?!? Hahaha, just yankin ure chain. :D

Aim-able... :)

But to answer the question more in depth. I bought my first AR when I was 18 because I had just got back from Basic Training and wanted one. That is also what prompted me to do some research into the pro- and anti-gun issue; which convinced me that owning one was a very important part of my freedom.

But as noted above, it is a tool. I use my firearms for recreation, to teach responsibility and self-reliance, and ultimately I can and will employ energy delivery in my defense and in my family's defense if needed.

JBecker 72
02-09-10, 15:03
My AR is for picture taking and flexing the e-penis ;)

seriously tho, its just for range use and training. I fire around 3000 rounds a year probably out of it.

Marty916
02-09-10, 15:05
Home defense
Training
Skill set development

fdxpilot
02-09-10, 15:59

1. personal defense
2. Defense of others
3.Training
4. Work

Just a slight change in my priorities

1. Personal Defense
2. Defense of others
3. Training
4. Fun

lomp64
02-09-10, 16:03
Aim-able... :)

But to answer the question more in depth. I bought my first AR when I was 18 because I had just got back from Basic Training and wanted one. That is also what prompted me to do some research into the pro- and anti-gun issue; which convinced me that owning one was a very important part of my freedom.

But as noted above, it is a tool. I use my firearms for recreation, to teach responsibility and self-reliance, and ultimately I can and will employ energy delivery in my defense and in my family's defense if needed.

Well said.

Wilco
02-09-10, 16:16
1. Zombie Holocaust
2. home defense
3. classes (so far Paul Howe, Steve Moses, TDSA, next Spartan T and Tiger Valley)
4. plinking
5. investment (A quality AR is worth its weight, imho, esp in the future) Look at it this way. If I buy three 2000.00 guns, or a 6,000.00 stereo system, what will be worth more in five years?
6. collecting (what can I say, guns are to me like shoes are to women).

William B.
02-09-10, 16:23
Mine is a defensive tool to be used in the event of a criminal attempt against myself or my loved ones, a natural disaster, a terrorist attack, etc. I also train with it as much as $ will allow. I chose the AR15 because it's reliable (assuming you bought a good brand); I know its manual of arms well; and parts, magazines, and ammuntion for it are plentiful.

I also just love firearms. They fascinate me and I love learning about them.

I have an AK47 variant as well for all the same reasons.

p345duc
02-09-10, 16:26
1. Zombies
2. Home defense
3. Hunting
4. looking cool:D

William B.
02-09-10, 16:26
I want a carbine that'll go bang every time. I want a carbine that'll cycle and fire shitty ammo, because that may be the only option at a given time. I want my gun to have a 1/7 bbl twist, because I want to be able to shoot heavier ammo, as well as light. I do want Chrome lined barrels and chambers for durability, even though some degree of accuracy is sacrificed as opposed to SS barrels. I want my Go To Gun to be of a quality manufacturer, so that it can be relied on. I don't want something so heavy and loaded down with crap that it becomes a hinderance to carry/use.
That's my purpose, in a nutshell.

+1 ztf

ztf HITMAN
02-09-10, 16:43
Mine is a defensive tool to be used in the event of a criminal attempt against myself or my loved ones, a natural disaster, a terrorist attack, etc. I also train with it as much as $ will allow. I chose the AR15 because it's reliable (assuming you bought a good brand); I know its manual of arms well; and parts, magazines, and ammuntion for it are plentiful.

I also just love firearms. They fascinate me and I love learning about them.

I have an AK47 variant as well for all the same reasons.

I, also, am fascinated by firearms and love learning about them.
And how could I have forgotten the zombies???? As the commander of the world's most ruthless and efficient zombie killing organization (ZTF)????

jmaxiom
02-09-10, 16:58
Curing progressives

Artos
02-09-10, 17:02
Mine is evolving slowly...and pretty much along side with my wallet. Today, it would be in no particular order & in all honesty just called: Black Gun Disease

Fun
Hunting
General Protection
Enhanced Gun Collection

Training & Competition is a BIG want and certainly in the future.

The modern firearm has always fascinated me as well and probably affected our world in the same way the enternal combustion engine has. I like everything from Pre-64 Winchester to Colt wheel guns to big bore doubles. Accurate and quality iron really float my boat.

gogetal3
02-09-10, 17:31
Training-for worst case scenerio of defending my life and my family.

Competitions

DocRod
02-09-10, 17:38
I have 2 that are set up differently. One is for face to face zombie confrontations. The other is set up for disabling vehicles that many of our local zombies drive, thereby forcing a face to face confrontation. I have added a backup contingency of a 1911 in every room of the house in case of an up close and unexpected personal confrontation inside my home.

pierce195
02-09-10, 17:40
Repost, please delete.

Thanks

pierce195
02-09-10, 17:42
I use mine for the following:

1. Work
2. Training
3. Fun

BushmasterFanBoy
02-09-10, 17:48
1. Fondling
2. Playing army
3. Picture threads
4. Dry firing
5. Excuse to buy new gear
6. An added weight for gear hikes/runs
7. Accessory to Magpul DVD's
8. Actually shooting stuff

:D

Bill Bryant
02-09-10, 17:49
In no particular order:

plinking
fascination with, and enjoyment owning and messing with, complex mechanisms
less expensive than a red sports car
supporting my son's early enlistment in the USMC
hunting
interest in military history
duty as a free citizen to own a musket
desire to play with man LEGO's
self defense
increase in personal testosterone level when handling dangerous weapons

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-09-10, 17:52
Poodle shooting.

michschi
02-09-10, 17:54
Hmm, well the reason I bought it was because I wanted one, and I thought they were cool to look at, but now I realize after having one, I need another, and another and this could go on for a while. In all seriousness it has become my go to weapon in that worst case senario. I will without a doubt be able to use it in defense of my self and or anyone in my family. On a lighter note, I like to blow up water containers, milk jugs and paper targets. So I would say, in this order:

1. Personal Defense
2. Home Defense
3. Fun

Artos
02-09-10, 17:56
Poodle shooting.

i lol...

Cameron
02-09-10, 17:59
4. looking cool:D

YES!

Cameron

CMFG
02-09-10, 18:03
1. Fondling
2. Playing army
3. Picture threads
4. Dry firing

LMAO!!! Well spoken, sir.

ztf HITMAN
02-09-10, 18:28
OK....I didn't want to say anything about fondling, but since you brought it up, BMFanboy, lol

glockeyed
02-09-10, 18:34
OK....I didn't want to say anything about fondling, but since you brought it up, BMFanboy, lol

hehe yeah his and jmaxiom's

mine started as fun, and post 'cane defense

i hope to get some training in this year, so i can better the fun and defense.

DrBackJack
02-09-10, 19:13
1 Work
2 Putting a big hole in hogs
3 HD

telecustom
02-09-10, 19:15
Holds up my wall.

Artiz
02-09-10, 19:19
Because I only have one AR-15 (mainly because I'd rather have a very good AR and spend money on ammo than having five ARs and not enough $ to shoot them and become proficient with them), it covers every task it could be used for.

Unfortunately, hunting isn't covered, it's a restricted firearm and can't be used for hunting in Canada.

02-09-10, 19:24
1. Training classes
2. HD
3. SHTF/TEOTWAWKI

troyn123
02-09-10, 19:26
In mixed order of importance or how often it happens:

1. Exercising my rights.
2. Killing paper, cans, and the occasional watermelon.
3. Varmints.
4. Want to try deer hunting sometime soon, and that caliber is legal in Oregon.
5. Extreme self-defense / SHTF gun.

For general "self defense" or "home defense", my pistol and shotgun make the list of things I'd grab a lot higher than my AR.

-Troy

ztf HITMAN
02-09-10, 19:46
hehe yeah his and jmaxiom's

mine started as fun, and post 'cane defense

i hope to get some training in this year, so i can better the fun and defense.

Yeh. I forgot about 'cane defense....I live SW of NOLA....Katrina, Gustav, and more to come...

Stickman
02-09-10, 19:54
Most of them are for pictures. The important one is for duty, the others, training.

tonesurfer
02-09-10, 20:44
Giving "The Bird" to Obama.

goodoleboy
02-09-10, 21:08
1. Personal Defense
2. Training
3. Plinking
4. Defense of our nation when China finally decides it's time to take us over when we can't pay back our debts and the government doesn't have the money to buy one for me.

cop1211
02-09-10, 21:25
Duty/SWAT

DoomOnYou
02-09-10, 22:01
Paper Target Destroyer
Training
Self Defense (Cause my family is a bunch of sissies.)
Getting in touch with my gun happy father
Better my knowledge for when i join USMC

arizonaranchman
02-09-10, 22:39
Home defense, training, duty weapon, recreation, pests and predators, societal collapse and for the primary reason of the 2nd Amend - resistance to tyranny.

ARJJ
02-09-10, 23:14
I have two ARs currently. One is strictly a duty patrol rifle, the other is a fun/plinking/recreational gun.

ColdDeadHands
02-09-10, 23:56
Training-for worst case scenerio of defending my life and my family.

+1 ;)

variablebinary
02-10-10, 00:02
Shooting stuff and fun.

Training, and killing jacks, and scumbags breaking into my house all fall under both shooting and fun

SWATcop556
02-10-10, 00:25
Work
Training
Work
Fun
Work
Plinking
Work
Collecting
Work
SHTF/TEOTWAWKI
Work
Work
Work
Blah
Blah

My wife says I spend more time with my rifle than I do with her. I tell that if I didn't HAVE to I wouldn't. :D

Failure2Stop
02-10-10, 00:28
Creating holes.

Jerm
02-10-10, 01:25
In-law repellent.

Works on various other undesirables as well.

jp0319
02-10-10, 03:23
Paper Punching
Training
Fun (I say this because I have shot and owned guns since I could hold one by my self, I think guns of all types are fun and I enjoy shooting)

In a pinch I would use mine for Home Defense but I have handguns, and a 12 guage I use primarily for this function.

As far as your requirement of "firing shitty ammo" if you are putting crap ammo through an AR you might as well own an AK, because crap ammo will keep a DI AR from running very long, If this is something you expect maybe a piston AR would fit your bill. I would never purposly put crap ammo through one of my guns, but that may just be me.

WARLOCK
02-10-10, 04:50
"for all lawful intents and purposes."

gtmtnbiker98
02-10-10, 09:32
1. Competition
2. Training
3. HD
4. Competition
5. Training
6. Fondling
7. Competition

dashotgun
02-10-10, 10:10
did you all see Schindler's list where a bunch of guys are kneeling down while the nazi shoots them in the head they waited patiently while he reloaded? I bought because I will not die on my knees.....

ztf HITMAN
02-10-10, 11:26
did you all see Schindler's list where a bunch of guys are kneeling down while the nazi shoots them in the head they waited patiently while he reloaded? I bought because I will not die on my knees.....

:eek:

uwe1
02-10-10, 11:37

You mean that the technique for curving bulltets in that movie "Wanted" was all just hollywood special effects?!?!:D

uwe1
02-10-10, 11:46
1. Fondling
2. Playing army
3. Picture threads
4. Dry firing

You forgot:

9. Posing in front of the mirror and looking cool:D

Chris Rhines
02-10-10, 12:18
First purpose is for shooting 3-gun and practical rifle competitions. I'm an unrepentant gamer. :D

Second purpose is self-defense, in such circumstances where a carbine is appropriate.

Training, for both of the above, isn't really a purpose. It's just something you have to do, or else you're a weenie.

-C

LMTRocks
02-10-10, 14:07
TOTP!!!

1. Licensed by my state police to fill out a 4473, take possession of my weapon, and not have to make a call to FBI NICS.

2. Hitting a watermelon at 200yd is fun.

3. Hitting a waterjug at 200yd is fun.

4. I get to reload!

5. Home Defense

6. Family Defense.

7. The Japanese Admiral Yamamoto said there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass in the Lower 48. Guess I should do my part to make it so...

Belmont31R
02-10-10, 14:12
1. Interested in guns since I was a little kid even though my parents didn't own any.

2. I enjoy shooting.

3. I enjoy training with guns.

4. Self & Home defense.

5. Community and national defense if ever needed.

rjb_213
02-10-10, 14:35
Tannerite doesn't go boom without it...

uwe1
02-10-10, 17:50
It is my opinion, as a relative firearms newbie, that if a person were to only own one AR, that it should be built with self defense/shtf in mind. Therefore, a person should try to purchase as high quality as it is initially affordable/available. Second, third, fourth rifles could be customized with different purposes such as gaming. With that said, my guns are, first and foremost, for defending myself and my family. Training (second purpose) will let me accomplish the first with a higher degree of success.