PDA

View Full Version : Citizenship

13F3OL7
02-09-10, 21:33
My wife passed her citizenship interview with the USCIS today. Her interviewer said unless there are any complications after finger printing & biometrics are done, she should be good to go for taking the oath to become a U.S. citizen sometime around April. I'm very proud of her.

Bowser
02-09-10, 21:49
Less paperwork to buy guns!

NoBody
02-09-10, 21:52
My wife passed her citizenship interview with the USCIS today. Her interviewer said unless there are any complications after finger printing & biometrics are done, she should be good to go for taking the oath to become a U.S. citizen sometime around April. I'm very proud of her.

Tell your wife congratulations for me. It's always good to welcome a new American citizen! :)

LHS
02-09-10, 22:02
Tell your wife congratulations for me. It's always good to welcome a new American citizen! :)

Agreed. It's always nice to see someone choose to be an American.

chadbag
02-09-10, 22:12
Yes Congrats! My wife took the oath in Sept 2008. Was a big and monumental day for us.

HES
02-09-10, 22:51
Congrats to you and your wife.

RudyN
02-09-10, 22:59
Congratulations to you wife.

SeriousStudent
02-09-10, 23:07
Congratulations to you both!

Now tell her to go out and vote every chance she gets. :)

the Bamster
02-10-10, 00:49
Congratulations, I remember when I became a U.S citi.................. nevermind.

jvencius
02-10-10, 02:00
Congrats to the both of you! It reaffirms my faith in this country (not that my faith has ever wavered...) when I read about people who are willing to give up their previous citizenship to accept the responsibility of being Americans.

FWIW, one of the women I work with is studying for her citizenship and it's good review for me, a natural-born citizen, to go over the test questions with her--seeing how many I can answer (99/100--I didn't know what form is used to apply for citizenship) made me feel pretty good.

13F3OL7
02-10-10, 02:25
Thanks to all. I'll say it again, I'm very proud of my wife. It means a lot to me that she is going to become a citizen of the country I've spent the last 10 years in service to. It makes serving in the Army that much more worthwhile. Hopefully our sons will feel the same way when they're older.

xfyrfiter
02-11-10, 22:45
Congrats.

Spade
02-12-10, 01:06
Awesome, good to hear & congrats

citizensoldier16
02-12-10, 09:27
Congratulations! I have a co-worker (formerly from South Africa) who is waiting to take the test himself. As one poster above said, don't forget to encourage her to take part in the most sacred of American rights...the right to vote, and the right to bear arms!!

GermanSynergy
02-12-10, 09:54

Congrats!

JLSKIP
02-12-10, 10:50
Congratulations! How was your overall experience with USCIS?

My wife just received her permanent resident status a couple of weeks ago. Now the 3 year countdown for citizenship begins. People look at us funny when I tell them she's an immigrant, it's almost like people don't consider Canada to be a different country.

CDDM416
02-12-10, 11:20
Congrats and great job, to your Wife.

LegalAlien
02-12-10, 11:23
Congrats to your wife. A BIG step forward.

It is on my 2010 Resolution list. I have already completed the application forms and now trying to scrape together the $600+ app fees. Damn Toyota recall messed up sales and commissions, now it is going to take a little longer to get the app fee together. But, . . IT WILL BE DONE THIS YEAR!!!!

randolph
02-12-10, 11:24
Congratulations !

My Fiancee is from Brasil and has been a citizen for 20+ years. Im very proud of her.
The woman also HATES illegals from anywhere :p

13F3OL7
02-12-10, 11:46
Congratulations! How was your overall experience with USCIS?

My wife just received her permanent resident status a couple of weeks ago. Now the 3 year countdown for citizenship begins. People look at us funny when I tell them she's an immigrant, it's almost like people don't consider Canada to be a different country.

Congrats on your wife receiving her permanent resident card.

Overall experience with USCIS has been shitty. It shouldn't take 20 months from the time of an interview to the time you receive your card in the mail. 16 months of that time in Iraq. Not even emailing my senators office helped speed it up.

chg380
02-12-10, 11:48
Congrats

GermanSynergy
02-12-10, 11:50

When my friend's wife (from Germany) became a US citizen she bought a Glock 19 in celebration. :cool:

Are you guys planning on doing the same? :)

JLSKIP
02-12-10, 11:59
Congrats on your wife receiving her permanent resident card.

Overall experience with USCIS has been shitty. It shouldn't take 20 months from the time of an interview to the time you receive your card in the mail. 16 months of that time in Iraq. Not even emailing my senators office helped speed it up.

Sorry to hear that! I bet you're glad you don't have to deal with them anymore! Our experience has been pretty good so far, but I'm sure our situation was different than yours. My wife was in country on a student visa. From when we submitted our change of status application to when we had our interview/approval for green card was only about 3 months. I think that 20 months is a little ridiculous, especially for the fees that they charge.

Ghostrider_911
02-12-10, 12:52
Congratulations! I have a co-worker (formerly from South Africa) who is waiting to take the test himself. As one poster above said, don't forget to encourage her to take part in the most sacred of American rights...the right to vote, and the right to bear arms!!

You can make that two South African's then...*s* Just waiting to get my application back from S1 in Juneau so we can submit it to USCIS. They say the process is expedited as ARNG but we'll see...

As soon as I have my Citizenship I can make a bee-line to get back into Law-Enforcement. :D

To the OP, congratulations brother, I know it is never an easy road to get there, but it is a worthwhile one!

13F3OL7
02-12-10, 15:23
Sorry to hear that! I bet you're glad you don't have to deal with them anymore! Our experience has been pretty good so far, but I'm sure our situation was different than yours. My wife was in country on a student visa. From when we submitted our change of status application to when we had our interview/approval for green card was only about 3 months. I think that 20 months is a little ridiculous, especially for the fees that they charge.

Your situation doesn't differ much from mine. My wife had been in the country since '98 on a student visa and had already completed her bachelor's and was taking advanced classes working on a master's I believe.

Her green card interview was just over 4 months after we mailed her application in. After that we didn't hear anything until her card arrived in the mail 20 months later. Calls to USCIS would yield nothing more than "still waiting on background checks". Basically laying the blame with another agency.

13F3OL7
02-12-10, 15:37
When my friend's wife (from Germany) became a US citizen she bought a Glock 19 in celebration. :cool:

Are you guys planning on doing the same? :)

I wish. I did buy her a 1911 in 9mm to use for self defense around the home when I'm away for long periods of time. Because of the kids we have been able to get to the range together so she can fire it. She has done a little dry firing and practice loading & unloading it. One of the local gun store owners is instructing a couple of handgun training classes later this year. He placed 10th in the Western States Single Stack Championships this year, so I believe that he would be able to provide a good foundation.