PDA

View Full Version : Kids Playing Airsoft Stab and Mortally Wound K-9

bulbvivid
02-09-10, 22:32
Elizabethton, Tenn.—An Elizabethton K-9 officer was stabbed Saturday afternoon; its wounds so bad, the dog needed to be put down.
According to the Carter County Sheriff’s Department report, a group of sixteen year old boys stabbed the Elizabethton Police dog, Yoris.
The three boys told deputies they were attacked by the dog while playing a shooting game called “air soft,“ which uses rifle-like air-guns, and light pearl-sized pellets.
A viewer e-mailed 11 Connects saying that her son was the boy who stabbed the dog. He told her the dog first jumped up as if he wanted to play, but then became aggressive, biting him and two other friends. He used a knife to get the dog off his friend, accidentally stabbing his friend in the chaotic fight.
A witness, David Ward, told the responding sheriff’s deputy a different story. He said when he first saw the interaction, the dog did not appear aggressive. Ward said he watched the teenagers strike and kick the dog.
Elizabethton Police confirmed that Yoris’ partner and caretaker, Officer Shane Darling, was in Florida over the weekend. After the incident, the officer’s wife told the responding sheriff’s deputy that the dog was not in his kennel.
Elizabethton Police Standard Operation Procedures for Police Canine Operations state: “The canine handler shall have immediate control of his or her canine at all times when on or off leash, either at home or any other location.“ Handlers “will be held responsible for the control of their canines on and off duty.“
Since the police dog was involved in the incident, local police called in the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. A TBI spokesperson said there is no investigation filed at this time. Elizabethton Police Chief Matt Bailey says he spoke with the District Attorney, and a TBI agent has been assigned to the investigation. Both the Carter County Sheriff’s Department and the Elizabethton Police Department declined to comment until the investigation is conducted.

Teenagers say they stabbed K-9 dog as self-defense (http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/teenagers_say_they_stabbed_k-9_dog_as_self-defense/41185/)

SeriousStudent
02-09-10, 23:02
Prayers sent for the fallen K-9 officer. :(

Cascades236
02-09-10, 23:10
for those who haven't had the privilege of working around police dogs...sure they are trained to bite but they are so disciplined that they know when it is ok and that is under very strict and specific circumstances. ive never known one to bite unprovoked.

ditto on the prayers

variablebinary
02-09-10, 23:14
Needs more detail.

I dont like loose, unleashed dogs. They need to be leashed or locked up at all times, not running around free on property the handler doesn't own

I regard all dogs running around, not directly regulated by a handler, as wild and dangerous

Mac5.56
02-09-10, 23:57
Needs more detail.

I dont like loose, unleashed dogs. They need to be leashed or locked up at all times, not running around free on property the handler doesn't own

I regard all dogs running around, not directly regulated by a handler, as wild and dangerous

Second that. I am not going to be running a background check on a dog if it attacks me. I can see it now: "Sit fiddo, sit... Are you a dog owned by the state? Yes, well then, bite away."

thopkins22
02-10-10, 01:06
Needs more detail.

I don't know if I fully agree with that...I run my dog off leash in violation of my city's leash ordinance literally every single day, usually in the company of five to ten SWAT officers who do their morning workout in the same place, and if I go in the afternoon then I'm sometimes within sight of K9 officers doing their thing. The police here generally have actual crime to attend to. Then again I know many of the officers from my volunteer work, and I'm in control of my extraordinarily gentle dog...so maybe I'm getting a pass, but I don't believe so.

I don't like to see people running dogs off leash that are not obedient or are aggressive in the slightest, and I hate to see dogs of any sort that are simply "let out." This case sounds like the dog was simply let out, or kept in a kennel that was not dog proof...that's not acceptable dog ownership by anyone, much less a police dog. Any dog that has ever bitten a human(well trained or not,) should be kept under extraordinarily tight control. Still, if the report is true that they were kicking the dog, then I'm happy one of them was accidentally stabbed as well.

"Air soft." lol

Submariner
02-10-10, 01:25
I run my dog off leash in violation of my city's leash ordinance literally every single day, usually in the company of five to ten SWAT officers who do their morning workout in the same place, and if I go in the afternoon then I'm sometimes within sight of K9 officers doing their thing.

I am shocked - shocked!

mr_smiles
02-10-10, 02:04
I don't know if I fully agree with that...I run my dog off leash in violation of my city's leash ordinance literally every single day

So you wouldn't have any hard feeling if a bigger dog on a leash killed your dog when it came over to sniff it's ass?

I have very gentle dogs as well, but extremely dog aggressive. If some ones dog came over to either of them I can pretty much guarantee the dog would be killed if I can't break it up.

Not to mention it puts me at risk having to break up a dog fight, and yes this has happened in the past. If you're not in a confined place, and your dog isn't working at the time, keep it on a leash. If not don't bitch when it ends up dead and you end up with a lawsuit.

Belmont31R
02-10-10, 02:27
for those who haven't had the privilege of working around police dogs...sure they are trained to bite but they are so disciplined that they know when it is ok and that is under very strict and specific circumstances. ive never known one to bite unprovoked.

ditto on the prayers

Its still an animal which means they are unpredictable. If it was running around lost maybe it was stressed out....maybe the kids as the "witness" says hit the dog like some sadistic punks.

thopkins22
02-10-10, 03:05
So you wouldn't have any hard feeling if a bigger dog on a leash killed your dog when it came over to sniff it's ass?

I would be crushed, but certainly no blame could be placed on the other party. Fortunately I have enough control over my dog that he comes when I call him...I do not let him get near people or dogs that I don't know.

Perhaps I should state that I'm fortunate that the park I frequent is very large and the area I use is really quite far from roads, walking trails, homes, and stray dogs. Any time I can't be sure of what other dogs/people are around, my dog stays leashed.

I've been bitten by a mastiff who was trying to attack my dog while I was walking it on leash in another part of the city. If I hadn't been able to break it up I would have killed it...I'm happy that I did not have to.

I believe in personal responsibility. If after five years of life, my dog sprouts a second personality and attacks someone or their dog, I'll accept a lawsuit.

I am shocked - shocked!

I occasionally drank alcohol as a minor too.:eek: Actually I'm not sure if you're just kidding me or if you think I'm the type to flaunt laws(I'm not...well with the exception of one city ordinance.)

variablebinary
02-10-10, 03:37
I run my dog off leash in violation of my city's leash ordinance literally every single day...

...I don't like to see people running dogs off leash

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/SatansButtFungus/RickJamesCocaine.jpg

bkb0000
02-10-10, 03:51

looks like satan's butt fungus needs to adjust something..

bulbvivid
02-10-10, 07:13
Another story with a little more information: K9 Yoris dies after attack by juveniles (http://www.starhq.com/news/html/news/articles/articles.asp?day=Tuesday&article=nw-k9.html)

An Elizabethton Police Department K9 reportedly died this weekend following an alleged attack.

The Saturday afternoon incident began around 3 p.m. along Sunrise Drive in the Hunter community. Details leading up to the death of K9 Yoris are sketchy, with differing witness statements.

Carter County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Brian Durham was called to investigate a report of juveniles shooting a dog. While en route, Durham received another report that a juvenile had been attacked by a dog.

On arrival, Durham observed a male subject in the field along Sunrise Drive. The subject, identified as David Ward, stated that the dog was alive but lying in the field bleeding and appeared to be suffering.

The officer then found the three 16-year-old dog bite victims. One juvenile was transported to Sycamore Shoals Hospital by the Carter County Rescue Squad due to his injuries. Two other juveniles, who were also bitten, contacted their parents and were advised to go to the emergency room as well. One of the boys suffered bites to his lower back, spine and buttocks. One boy also was reportedly stabbed accidentally by the others during the incident.

One of the juveniles told Durham "that he and his friends were playing air soft in the empty field when the dog came up and started attacking them."

The first individual said when he saw the dog start biting his two friends, he ran over to help. He added that they stabbed the dog several times in an attempt to get away.

Durham said that as he was returning to his cruiser, he was flagged down by a female, whom he identified as Amy Darling. She told the officer that her husband's dog was not in his kennel. The dog, which had stab wounds, was identified as K9 Officer Yoris, an Elizabethton Police Department K9 handled by Officer Shane Darling.

Ward said he witnessed the incident from his home. "I was looking out the back door and saw three individuals huddled around a German Shepherd," Ward said. "At first, it looked like they were playing."

Ward said he got a pair of binoculars to get a better view. The individuals then began to beat the dog with an air soft gun. At that time, he called 911. "It fell to the ground and they started to kick it," Ward said.

Ward said one of the individuals then walked away from the scene with bloody arms. After all of the individuals left the field, Ward went outside to check on the dog. "The dog was alive at that time, but he was lying in the field in a pool of blood," he added.

The witness said that the dog did not appear to be aggressive. "This is very unusual for this neighborhood," he said.

Elizabethton and county K9 officers arrived on scene and transported the dog to an emergency veterinarian. EPD Chief Matt Bailey said due to the extent of his injuries, Yoris was euthanized on Sunday.

Representatives with the EPD and CCSD said the case has been turned over to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. However, on Monday afternoon, TBI Public Information Officer Kristin Helm said, "Actually, as of today, the District Attorney General has not requested TBI to open a criminal case file. As new information becomes available that may change, but right now we're not investigating."

Officer Shane Darling was in Florida this weekend during the incident. He has described Yoris as a sociable, friendly dog but that he knows there is a difference when it is time to work. He added. "Obedience is key. Obedience is the corner of everything we do. He is a very obedient dog."

Darling also said that at home, Yoris was part of the family.

Yoris, a four-year-old Belgian malinois, joined the city police department in June of 2008. He was the first K9 the department had in six years and cost $10,500, paid for through the city's drug fund. A second K9 joined the force on Jan. 15. K9 Kero works with his partner Sarah Ellison.

CryingWolf
02-10-10, 08:09
"Obedience is key. Obedience is the corner of everything we do. He is a very obedient dog."

But without a handler the dog is on it's own; in which case it is the dog's own personality will come out. With that said I can imagine that the kids did shoot the dog etc... this may have then led to the dogs aggressive behavior to come out thus attacking the kids. Witnesses seem to be after the kids were already attacked.

In the end though it should fall under the responsibility of the owner. The dog, K9 dog, pet dog, or whatever dog shouldn't have been able to get out. I know shit happens but if the dog was properly secured this would not have happened.

poak
02-10-10, 09:08
I want to know exactly what type of knife was used.

Just a pocket knife one of these kids happened to be carrying? Or was it an SOG SEAL Pup he was carrying while playing airsoft so he could re-enact COD4's dog attack scenes?

I'm in full agreement that the dog shouldn't have been freely roaming without an owner, but I disagree with the sentiment that some have posted that ANY dog sans leash and/or owner is an immediate threat...

That's the kind of thing a cat owner would say.

BiggLee71
02-10-10, 09:32
I've own (and have owned several other) Schutzhund German Shepards. They ARE NOT the type of dogs thats should EVER be off the leash WITHOUT the handler being present. PERIOD. Totally irresponsible. These are big, scary looking dogs. People are petrified when they see these dogs. Whomever was responsible for this animal in the handlers absence should be held responsible for the dogs death...not some young boy out playing with his friends.:rolleyes:

lomp64
02-10-10, 09:36
It sounds like we are missing some information here. I find it hard to believe a well trained police dog would randomly attack a group of kids.

On an unrelated note airsoft is gay.

Alric
02-10-10, 09:53
I wonder if airsoft being involved affected the situation? Are K9s taught to respond to seeing guns?

ForTehNguyen
02-10-10, 09:58
im pretty sure they respond to seeing a weapon

bjw182005
02-10-10, 11:01
Yes, K-9 are sometimes taught to agress at the sight of a weapon weilded by an individual other than it's handler. However, most initial training has moved away from this. During gunfire training a dog is really only taught to accept the sound of gunfire and not agress toward it. Some dogs are better at this than others. There are dogs that will agress toward the weapon, the individual firing(even if it is their handler) or even anyone in the immediate area.
While the dog getting loose is completely the fault of the handler, more information is needed as [I]most [I] trained working dogs will not agress without some form of provocation.
The scenario i see as most likely is that 3 16 year old kids see a big dog running around in the field and think that it would be really funny to shoot said dog. The dog, taking offense to this, decides he thinks it would be funny to chew on a few idiots. Chaos ensues. Is this what happened? I dont know, but I was 16 once and did quite a few stupid things myself, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility in this case. Either way, damn shame. RIP Friend.

mrbieler
02-10-10, 11:09
As usual, not enough info to go on and accounts are contradictory.

Boys seen huddled around dog hitting/kicking it sounds like sadistic kids, but then you have a boy with attack marks on his back and lower back which doesn't jibe with a peaceful dog .

It's lose lose. Either you have a police dog gone bad or a you have a bunch of kids with serious issues. :(

thopkins22
02-10-10, 11:38
I'm in full agreement that the dog shouldn't have been freely roaming without an owner, but I disagree with the sentiment that some have posted that ANY dog sans leash and/or owner is an immediate threat...

That's the kind of thing a cat owner would say.

That's all I'm saying.

I also think it's neighborhood dependent. Where I live it's strange to NOT see dog owners playing frisbee in their front yard sans leash.

I can only think of one mean dog in my neighborhood, and it's owner is an asshole too.

Leash violations are $50 here(big deal:rolleyes:)...though I don't know a single officer who has written a ticket for it as long as there was a person actively watching it.

thopkins22
02-10-10, 11:45

I can tell from the title of your image what you did. It's funny, but I did go on to qualify what I said with "that are disobedient or are aggressive in the slightest."

10MMGary
02-10-10, 12:11
Sad situation all around. Having not been there I won't begin to guess who is wrong and what went sideways, I'll leave that to the TBI. I am betting his partner is devastated

ditto on the prayers

FWIW I know of several instances where K-9s have bitten without command or provocation. I have personally witnessed a K-9 attack an officer that was assisting the K-9s partner. Right here in FL we had one that was the PR K-9 for the depts program and while at a local middle school it bit a child in the face.

Volucris
02-10-10, 16:44
Needs more detail.

Same. It's a dog; not a human being. If it bites me I don't give a damn how much training it had or who owns it. I do not agree with the law defining a police dog as a human police officer. It's just a dog like any other mutt you see apart from some special training. They still snap and do irrational things. I think everyone here has seen at least one case of a police dog viciously attacking a person without reason.

dbrowne1
02-10-10, 17:45
A lot of information missing, here.

Clearly the dog should not have been running around on its own, and apparently it was if the report about the handler being in Florida is accurate. It doesn't get a pass just because it's a police dog and it's unclear whether these teenagers would have even know that it was a police dog.

Even if it shouldn't have been loose, however, it's generally unlawful to kill a dog unless it's attacking or acting in a threatening manner toward you, or is killing or harassing your livestock. If it did indeed get loose and act aggressively toward these folks and they can explain that, I don't see why they should be in any hot water. That would be the K-9 handler's screw-up. If they taunted or provoked the dog, or worse yet went after it because they knew it was a K-9, then they are in the wrong and should be punished.

Submariner
02-10-10, 20:28
I do not agree with the law defining a police dog as a human police officer.

Caligula made his horse a Roman Senator. What's the difference?

bkb0000
02-10-10, 20:39

some states prosecute killing a police dog as Murder, or close enough

ra2bach
02-10-10, 20:44

the horse was smarter??

variablebinary
02-10-10, 20:48
I can tell from the title of your image what you did. It's funny, but I did go on to qualify what I said with "that are disobedient or are aggressive in the slightest."

Lost some of it's humor but let me try again :p

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__F-958QSnNc/Sd82kRGQO7I/AAAAAAAAACA/F5cS8iwL8M4/s400/RickJamesCocaine.jpg

bkb0000
02-10-10, 20:52
Lost some of it's humor but let me try again :p

"satansbuttfungus" was humorous.

RyanB
02-10-10, 20:54
Caligula was a tyrant.

CBTech
02-10-10, 22:10
A lot of information missing, here.

Clearly the dog should not have been running around on its own, and apparently it was if the report about the handler being in Florida is accurate. It doesn't get a pass just because it's a police dog and it's unclear whether these teenagers would have even know that it was a police dog.

Even if it shouldn't have been loose, however, it's generally unlawful to kill a dog unless it's attacking or acting in a threatening manner toward you, or is killing or harassing your livestock. If it did indeed get loose and act aggressively toward these folks and they can explain that, I don't see why they should be in any hot water. That would be the K-9 handler's screw-up. If they taunted or provoked the dog, or worse yet went after it because they knew it was a K-9, then they are in the wrong and should be punished.

Word up! This is the most clear response on the matter. I see some are viewing the dog as if it died in the the execution of a drug raid or defending the life of it's owner. It wasn't so it then becomes just a DOG. Without its master, without supervision, the animal does not have the critical control measure which is its owners command words and his instruction.

The boys will have to explain themselves, the handler will have to explain himself, and his wife will need to explain herself for screwing up and letting her husbands partner go solo.

Whether these three boys, who were out in the woods by themselves playing a game, turned sadistic upon seeing the dog or were attacked by a stressed out pup who was sufforing major seperation anxiety over his partners absence, someone will probably have to suffer litigation due to the neglegence of the care of a dangerous animal.

I have worked with MWD's and can tell you first hand that the "Caution:K9" "Beware of Dog" decals on cruisers and SUV's are legit. K9's and MWD's are dangerous. That is their strong point and what makes them effective. I have seen some real beasts.

For anyone who says "RIP, Officer" or views these animals as LEO's, keep in mind that they are tools in the tool bag. They are not humans and humanizing an animal is a dangerous proposition. Sure, a handler will become very close and have a close bond but would you give your life for an animal if you don't have the handler/K9 relationship? If you would then you need to re-evalute how much sense of self-worth you have.
I realize there should be a penalty for killing a K9 while it is doing its duty or malicious slaughter while off duty.

In a situation where it is without its human link to harness the deadly training they recieve it must be viewed as possibly rogue and, always, dangerous.

jaholder
02-10-10, 22:31
Word up! This is the most clear response on the matter. I see some are viewing the dog as if it died in the the execution of a drug raid or defending the life of it's owner. It wasn't so it then becomes just a DOG. Without its master, without supervision, the animal does not have the critical control measure which is its owners command words and his instruction.

The boys will have to explain themselves, the handler will have to explain himself, and his wife will need to explain herself for screwing up and letting her husbands partner go solo.

Whether these three boys, who were out in the woods by themselves playing a game, turned sadistic upon seeing the dog or were attacked by a stressed out pup who was sufforing major seperation anxiety over his partners absence, someone will probably have to suffer litigation due to the neglegence of the care of a dangerous animal.

I have worked with MWD's and can tell you first hand that the "Caution:K9" "Beware of Dog" decals on cruisers and SUV's are legit. K9's and MWD's are dangerous. That is their strong point and what makes them effective. I have seen some real beasts.

For anyone who says "RIP, Officer" or views these animals as LEO's, keep in mind that they are tools in the tool bag. They are not humans and humanizing an animal is a dangerous proposition. Sure, a handler will become very close and have a close bond but would you give your life for an animal if you don't have the handler/K9 relationship? If you would then you need to re-evalute how much sense of self-worth you have.
I realize there should be a penalty for killing a K9 while it is doing its duty or malicious slaughter while off duty.

In a situation where it is without its human link to harness the deadly training they recieve it must be viewed as possibly rogue and, always, dangerous.

My money's on some neighborhood punks letting the dog out of the cage and screwing with him until he bit one of them, giving them an excuse to kill it.

CBTech
02-11-10, 09:32
My money's on some neighborhood punks letting the dog out of the cage and screwing with him until he bit one of them, giving them an excuse to kill it.

I've never known a MWD or K9 to be kenneled outside. With this speculation it would have to be assumed that they broke into the house in which it was housed. The wife of the traveling K9 handler was home at the time and didn't report a break in but only that the dog was gone.
If this is a bet, my money is on the woman being innatentive and the dog went in search of it's handler.

My dog, a Yellow Lab named Molly, would do that with my wife. We lived 2 blocks up from the beach which has a 4 lane running along the beach. If she got off leash with my wife while out doing the duty she would bolt straight to the water ignoring the fact that the beach avenue was very busy. She didn't do that with me because I was the authority figure that did all of the training with her.
She knew what I expected of her and was eager to please and knew that she would dissappoint who she loved most. My wife was just another bitch to her.

bulbvivid
02-26-10, 08:55
Since there hasn't been any news from the investigation into Yoris's death, my local paper ran a story on the front page about the Internet chatter surrounding the matter.

Lo and behold, they referenced this thread:

There are even some national blogs in which a thread on Yoris has developed. One example is M4Carbine.net, in which one poster is curious about what type of knife was used.

Opinion on K-9’s death voiced online (http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?ID=74091)

ELIZABETHTON — Emotions remain strong about the death of Elizabethton police dog Yoris and may reach a peak during a memorial service planned for him. The service will be at Tetrick Funeral Home on March 4 at 5:30 p.m.
Yoris remains a topic of conversation in the community almost three weeks after he was euthanized on Feb. 7. Part of the conversation involves the unresolved manner of his death, which is the subject of an intensive investigation by Brian Fraley of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

The investigation revolves around what happened in a grassy field off Sunrise Drive on property that is part of the Elizabethton Municipal Airport. What is known is that Yoris got out of his kennel and encountered five teenage boys in the field around 3 p.m. Feb. 6.

The boys were playing airsoft, a sport similar to paintball in which special guns fire plastic pellets. In the encounter that followed, three of the boys suffered dog bites and Yoris was stabbed with a knife. One of the boys was also accidentally stabbed with the knife.

Kristin Helm, public relations officer for the TBI, said the investigation should take a few more weeks. The investigator is awaiting lab results from forensic evidence.

While awaiting the results, there have been several Web sites created to discuss Yoris and the teenagers.

Many of the posters have already reached their own conclusions without the benefit of the official inquiry.

One example is a Facebook page titled Knowing the truth about the murder of K-9 Officer Yoris.

Another site is at Topix, where at least 567 comments have been posted.

Many of the posters believe the teenagers antagonized the dog, perhaps shooting it with the airsoft pellets.

One such example is found on the Facebook site: “Personally, I think these boys should be tried as adults and serve at least 2 years.” There are others who suggest they be convicted of a capital crime.

Others argue the trained police dog should not have been able to get out of its kennel. The two sides have argued it out on Topix for the past few weeks without resolution.

There are even some national blogs in which a thread on Yoris has developed. One example is M4Carbine.net, in which one poster is curious about what type of knife was used.

The majority of the posters appear to be animal lovers who are bothered by the extremely painful death Yoris suffered. Some say the incident is just one example of a disturbing trend of teens and children abusing animals.

Others are searching for ways to pay tribute to Yoris.

On that score, there is an answer.

There are several donation sites. Two of the funds are being managed by the city of Elizabethton. One is a fund for the Elizabethton Police Department to replace Yoris with another dog.

The other is to provide funds for the animal shelter operations. In both cases the checks should be made out to the city of Elizabethton with “animal shelter operations” or “police dog replacement” in the memo line. Checks may be mailed to City of Elizabethton Finance Director, 136 S. Sycamore St., Elizabethton, TN 37643.

Donations can also be made to the Carter County Animal Shelter Building Fund, P.O. Box 1583, Elizabethton, TN 37643, the Humane Society, P.O. Box 134, Elizabethton, TN 37643, or East Tennessee Spay and Neuter, P.O. Box 2171, Elizabethton, TN 37643.

Honu
02-26-10, 10:36
But without a handler the dog is on it's own; in which case it is the dog's own personality will come out. With that said I can imagine that the kids did shoot the dog etc... this may have then led to the dogs aggressive behavior to come out thus attacking the kids. Witnesses seem to be after the kids were already attacked.

In the end though it should fall under the responsibility of the owner. The dog, K9 dog, pet dog, or whatever dog shouldn't have been able to get out. I know shit happens but if the dog was properly secured this would not have happened.

my thoughts exactly

its a sad story that has a sad ending and some unknown circumstances ?
did the dog react to the kids shooting or did the kids shoot the dog which then reacted ?
if it was your kid and he was innocent and just playing airsoft and the dog freaked at the guns its a tragedy for sure

if the kids shot the dog the kids deserve punishment

hope the truth comes out on this one

bottom line was it was a police dog and not a normal dog ? which sadly kinda puts it in another league and the dog should not have been out

cobra90gt
02-26-10, 15:27
RIP Yoris...

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/images/Pics/Articles/YorisElizaK9Officer.jpg

BiggLee71
02-26-10, 15:34
RIP Yoris...

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/images/Pics/Articles/YorisElizaK9Officer.jpg

What a good looking dog. Its a shame for everyone involved. I'm sure no one who is involved with this incident is happy with the outcome.

variablebinary
02-26-10, 19:07
What a good looking dog. Its a shame for everyone involved. I'm sure no one who is involved with this incident is happy with the outcome.

The dog's owners better have some good answers

xfyrfiter
02-26-10, 21:38
I have been following this thread closely and I am of the opinion that the officer's

wife has a lot of explaining to do. Very sorry for the loss of a loyal partner. That

being said, I have seen an unprovoked attack by a K9 . A 3 yo boy was seriously

mauled by this dog .The owner / handler had enough pull in the local area to

prevent the dogs destruction .Just goes to show that a dog is a dog and w/o

direct supervision cannot be trusted to always do the right thing ,after all he's

still just a dog, K9 or not.

JonnyVain
02-26-10, 21:57
I have been following this thread closely and I am of the opinion that the officer's

wife has a lot of explaining to do. Very sorry for the loss of a loyal partner. That

being said, I have seen an unprovoked attack by a K9 . A 3 yo boy was seriously

mauled by this dog .The owner / handler had enough pull in the local area to

prevent the dogs destruction .Just goes to show that a dog is a dog and w/o

direct supervision cannot be trusted to always do the right thing ,after all he's

still just a dog, K9 or not.

That's what I thought. The dog was probably not even supposed to be out of the kennel.

Mjolnir
02-27-10, 01:55
A dog is a "gun" that is fully capable of pressing his own trigger...

LockenLoad
02-27-10, 06:10
some states prosecute killing a police dog as Murder, or close enough

that's about as stupid as hate crime laws

Jackhammer1065
02-27-10, 08:01
I live in johnson city, which is next to Elizabethton. I have some friends that work for EPD, and it is thought that the K9 was antagonized and got out of his kennel. Not sure if the boys were shooting at him or what.

bulbvivid
04-26-10, 11:07
No criminal charges to be filed:

No criminal charges will be filed in connection to the death of K-9 Officer Yoris of the Elizabethton Police Department. That word came today from District Attorney General Tony Clark.
A report, released by Clark’s office, said on February 6, officers of the Carter County Sheriff’s Department responded to a call about a dog bite in the Hunter Community.
Officers interviewed six juveniles said to be involved in the incident. The juveniles said they were playing with toy air rifles that resembled weapons used by law enforcement.
The report said the dog jumped on and bit one of the juveniles. A second juvenile tried to help his friend and kicked the dog. The dog tried to bite another juvenile trying to stop the attack. The dog then latched on and began biting another juvenile.
The report said after several attempts to remove the dog, one juvenile threw a pocket knife to another juvenile. That juvenile stabbed the dog.
Later, the dog involved in the incident was identified as K-9 Yoris. Yoris’ partner, Officer Shane Darling, was in Florida at the time of the incident. It was determined wind caused the kennel door to become ajar and K-9 Yoris escaped from his pen.
A veterinarian report showed K-9 Yoris suffered multiple stab wounds. One of which punctured Yoris’ lung.
K-9 Yoris died February 7.
Again, District Attorney General Tony Clark announced today no criminal charges will be filed in the death of K-9 Yoris of the Elizabethton Police Department.

No Criminal Charges Will Be Filed In The Death of K-9 Yoris (http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/breaking_news_no_criminal_charges_will_be_filed_in_the_death_of_k-9_yoris/45059/)

Mac5.56
04-26-10, 11:59
What a sad story all around.

CarlosDJackal
04-26-10, 12:25
I'm late to this dance. But IMHO, if the dog had marks consistent with Airsoft pellets then chances are it was antagonized. If not, then chances are it got out of its pen and may have attacked the boys because they were holding "weapons" (the Airsoft guns).

Dogs, even the best trained ones, can sometimes switch into their predatory or attack mode without provocation. Despite thousands of years of domestication, there is still enough of the Wolf in them to make them unpredictable.

I personally hate dog owners who think I'm a dog-hater just because I view their "babies" with reservations and give them a wide berth. If I don't personally know the dog I don't make any assumptions that it is friendly until it proves itself so. I hate it when I have to cross or walk into the street just so some pet wonder thinks that it is okay to keep their dogs on a long leash or untethered. And when their dog bites someone who came to close, it's not their or their dog's fault. :rolleyes:

Either way it's a tragedy all around.

SIGguy229
04-26-10, 12:25
Does anyone know if it was determined how the dog was able to get out of its enclosure?

A friend of mine is uniformed secret service and K9 handler. The rules for keeping his K9 at home (in general terms): 1- fenced yard AND 2-fenced enclosure for the K9...I'm wondering if the same rules applied here.

Speculation:
1 - Dog was kept in the home; somehow, got outside (I had a German Shorthaired Pointer that learned how to turn door knobs/latch handles to get outside)

2 - Dog was kept kenneled outside and AirsoftBoyz thought it would be cool to take down a dog like COD/COD2....but nearly had their ass handed to them by a K9...in fact, I bet one of them tried to run, thus having bites and scratches on his back and buttocks.

Daemonbane
04-26-10, 15:06
Has anyone considered that they may have shot at the dog with the airsoft guns? Those pellets aren't exactly painless, and if you shot a police dog with them, I doubt it would sit there and take it. Also, that place they were playing airsoft at, was it property they were allowed on? I, too, would like to know the kind of knife that kid had.

Sad that the dog died.

LockenLoad
04-26-10, 15:21
I am greatly sad that the dog died, The only negligence that can really be proven here is that the dog was not contained properly, I would hazard a guess this has something to do with the K-9 officer being out of town. Someone let him down, who ever was watching the dog, I really feel sorry for him he has lost his best friend.

motorolahamm
04-26-10, 15:21
sad story anyway you look at it.

10MMGary
04-26-10, 15:32
Do any of you actually believe that if there was one scintilla of evidence that those boys were doing anything wrong at all the DA/SA would have not filed charges. Hell five boys can't keep their stories straight when their telling to truth for petes sake, Do you really think that at least one of them would not have broke or slipped up during questioning and writing their statements? Come on guys I am betting they looked at these 5 real hard and simply could not find anything.

IMO the only one that has any responsibility for this K-9 officers death is his handler/partner or maybe his wife(and that is a big maybe). If one of my dogs gets out for any reason and attacks anyone I am totally and completely responsible plain and simple. If while out and attacking someone my dog is killed I am the only one responsible plain and simple. I am getting the feeling the due to the Airsoft factor many want to assume these boys were at fault.

In any case like someone else already stated, sad situation all around.

bkb0000
04-26-10, 15:57
we dont know, we'll never know, and all that can be posted from here on out is speculation or "lame for all involved," and similar.

i'm not saying dont- just that that's really all there is left to say.
:p

dmanflynn
04-26-10, 17:22
Jeez, just teach your kids basic german. They'll be fine:D I know several people (LEO's) that are K-9 officers and their dogs. They dont just up and attack someone like that. Its like its been ingrained in their brain to be a certain way no matter what. Im not saying that its impossible or anything, but I know the ones Ive seen would get run over by a steam roller if their trainers told them to. And are surprisingly obedient when they are away from their actual master.

francis
04-26-10, 17:29
looks like satan's butt fungus needs to adjust something..

I'm RICK JAMES BITCH!!!!

Someone had to do it. :p

10MMGary
04-26-10, 21:35
Jeez, just teach your kids basic german. They'll be fine:D I know several people (LEO's) that are K-9 officers and their dogs. They dont just up and attack someone like that. Its like its been ingrained in their brain to be a certain way no matter what. Im not saying that its impossible or anything, but I know the ones Ive seen would get run over by a steam roller if their trainers told them to. And are surprisingly obedient when they are away from their actual master.

Better do a bit of research, more than one case of a K-9 attacking unprovoked. Including a K-9 attacking a child while doing a PR appearance at a school and multiple cases of K-9 attacking another officer when on duty. As great an asset they are to law enforcement they are alpha males high strung and no matter what name title or rank WE give them they are dogs and all dogs bite. Additionally if they were
surprisingly obedient when they are away from their actual master how would they be able to send them into buildings to find the BG?

LockenLoad
04-26-10, 21:56
we dont know, we'll never know, and all that can be posted from here on out is speculation or "lame for all involved," and similar.

i'm not saying dont- just that that's really all there is left to say.
:p

this he is right and I am guilty of it, were pretty much done here

obucina
04-26-10, 22:07

I house sit for a friend from time to time who has GSD, and Baron only responds in german, ja! That being said, his neighbor is a K9 officer whose four legged buddy is young and has some "teenage angst" built up and is a bit too aggressive for his own good. Said K9 busted through a fence and decided to play muncho on Barons face and refused to respond to any commands. A few weeks later, said K9 played coy and nipped my friends arm which necessitated that the Palm Beach County Sheriff come out. Safeguards to the fence have been made, but when I watch Baron, I dont let him use zu toiletten without my SF light and a blade at night. Ironically, the municipality that the K9 officer serves in has a very high violent crime rate and drug problem, the powers that be in the dept have decided that the dogs demeanor is acceptable .....As for the german, I have a friend who was a City of Miami K9 officer and chose to command his fury crime fighter in dutch.

bulbvivid
04-26-10, 23:15
It was determined wind caused the kennel door to become ajar and K-9 Yoris escaped from his pen.

Elizabethton is a quiet town all things considered, and, sans any evidence beyond speculation, I would give the boys the benefit of the doubt before I would condemn them. People here tend to raise their kids well more often than not. Sure, boys will be boys, but around here you would more likely find kids who would want to meet and play with the dog than mess with it.

It's a sad story, but the fact of the matter is that the dog was not secure in its enclosure. The victims here are the boys who were attacked by the Yoris. Though there is a possibility that they antagonized the dog, it's likely that some type of criminal charges would have been filed had there been any evidence of such (pellet welts, etc.).

As a former dog owner (he passed away last year), I understand that dogs have a tendency to get out despite your best efforts. In this case it led to a truly unfortunate situation.

The only variable I speculate on is whether the dog's training would make it more aggressive in a situation where guns are present.

10MMGary
04-27-10, 01:30
The only variable I speculate on is whether the dog's training would make it more aggressive in a situation where guns are present.

I have been told by trainers and handlers/partners that guns are not part of the training equation other than to train the K-9 to not be gun shy in regards to the report of gunfire. If one were to think about it, as trainable as a K-9 may be they can't be trained to distinguish between a BGs gun and a good guys gun, the same as they can't be trained to distinguish between clothing(plain clothes vs uniform). They attack the BG due to a command from their (alpha)partner. If guns were a trigger to attack, the dog would/may attack LEOs as well as BGs during a confrontation/situation.