PDA

View Full Version : CRPC Shoot No. 3 - April 24 - Debrief

bkb0000
02-10-10, 01:18
Howdy, gentlemen.

Don't have a slot reserved just yet, but I'll be getting something reserved in the next few days.

Anyone have a preference between late March/early April? I'd rather get it together sooner than later, but if people are planning on heading out to USFAR's Douglas Ridge shoot (soon to be announced) in early March, and want more time to recoup money/ammo, then we can push it back a bit.

A couple of members have suggested moving the shoots to Saturdays, to accommodate church. I'm down, and agree- so likely shoot dates are March 27 or
April 3.

please check in here, and give me a preference.

also- and this is just a note/reminder, not a complaint- if you're bringing homies to the shoots, have them sign up for an M4 account and have them sign-in the Roster/Intro thread. active PNW participation is required to participate in the shoots! this rule isn't for any other reason than the benefit of the members- active participation in the group sub-forum adds a small level of commitment and motivation to train, which benefits the individual's own training. and that's what it's all about, gentlemen- improving our ability to gunfight.

troyn123
02-11-10, 10:28
I've never been to Douglas Ridge, I never realized it was so close! I'd be interested if it was early April, but again, I'm low on ammo so won't commit to anything until some stuff shows up at home. :)

-Troy

carl20320
02-11-10, 11:43
The more spread out, the better stocked I can be. 2 more shoots like last weekend and I'm out of practice rounds. Must save up some funds to restock.

Titleist
02-11-10, 12:01
I will be there. Also I will have something very special in tow. All I can say is if anyone wants some trigger time on said "special" thing to bring a few dozen rounds of 7.62.

That is all. Over.

USAFR
03-23-10, 13:58
next shoot will be? Looking forward to to getting out to a different range, DR has a boat load of rules which doent allow for alot of movement.

Be safe all.

bkb0000
03-23-10, 14:32
thank you for asking- I need to push this back, April 3rd is my little sister's birthday, and i'm a tard for forgetting.

probably be one weekend back, but i need to check for schedule conflicts- sorry gentlemen, and for the short notice. i'll update ASAP

wichaka
03-25-10, 14:49
Sorry its been awhile since I've posted on here. But the snow is melting and thoughts of us men children turn to shooting again!

I try to be around here more, and hopefully make it out for the training.

bkb0000
04-01-10, 12:13
Update -

firstly, want to make sure everyone knows the shoot is OFF for the 3rd, right?

i wanted to push up to the 7th, but we're having some scheduling issues, mostly on my end. the 10th doesnt look like it'll work either, and we'll have to see about the 17th or 24th...

all of this could have been avoided with better forsight on my part- scheduling for the 3rd was boneheaded. i apologize.

will update as soon as i have something

bkb0000
04-01-10, 12:13
Sorry its been awhile since I've posted on here. But the snow is melting and thoughts of us men children turn to shooting again!

I try to be around here more, and hopefully make it out for the training.

good to see you back!

carl20320
04-01-10, 12:26
Personally, I'm glad this is not happening on the 10th. I'm planning to shoot action pistol at CRPC on the 11th (first outdoor match of the year) and SWMBKH (She Who Must Be Kept Happy) would not appreciate me bailing on the family for the whole weekend, shooting hundreds of dollars in ammo over the course of the weekend, and not progressing on the tons of work we ahve to do around the house/property.

Thanks for the update.

Carl

Titleist
04-01-10, 12:35
Magpul Carbine II got canceled, so I can make this for sure if it's indeed the 17th or later.

USAFR
04-01-10, 17:01
Unless I win the lottery the 17 or 24th will work as of today. However we all know "All is subject to change"

Be safe

bkb0000
04-12-10, 13:50
OK.. range is reserved for the 24th of this month.

New condition, however- there's now a $50 usage fee to reserve the range. I don't expect anyone to pay anything to get together for these informal training events, and i think i will try to argue with range leadership to get the fee waived for us. the justification is that since they charge OSP, CCSO, CCSO and all the other "organizations" that use us, they need to charge PNW too. but we're obviously a lot different- none of us are getting paid to attend, and our group doesn't have a "budget." unfortunately, i didn't have the energy/mental capacity to argue about it on the phone this morning, as i've been fasting for the last 28 hours and can barely think straight to begin with.

for now, however, we need to decide if ~$10 per head is worth it. it doesn't bother me much, when i figure i'm already spending an average on $20 in gas, $300-400 in ammo, some minor costs to built targets/obstacles/etc... what's another hamilton? but, as i said, paying anything is outside the original parameters of PNW's intent- FREE TRAINING.

so who's in?

Titleist
04-12-10, 13:57
I'm still in, Ben. Count me down.

carl20320
04-12-10, 14:35
I'm out but it has absolutely nothing to do with the $10. That part would be just fine.

My son is palying baseball and he has games every Saturday through May.

Dutchy556
04-13-10, 19:56
I'm planning on being there. No problem helping to pay.

bkb0000
04-13-10, 23:17
you ma niggas. who else?

troy? jeff? bobbery? rob?

wake.joe
04-14-10, 00:02
Joe? :confused:

bkb0000
04-14-10, 00:30
Joe? :confused:

JOE? you in? come on out, hones. gonna be a good one. and i want to see that 6004 mod of yours- i still haven't done anything with mine yet, got my 17 in a lame ass uncle mike's padded thumbsnap, still.

wake.joe
04-14-10, 19:55
Don't see why I couldn't. :D I think I have a babysitter that weekend.

What do I need to do? Range memberships? Waivers?

MookNW
04-14-10, 20:12
Little bit of a drive, but I should be able to manage.

Titleist
04-14-10, 20:46
If anyone brings some spare .308 be my guest. I'll bring the SR-25 battle rifle for anyone who wants to give it a whirl.

bkb0000
04-15-10, 00:09
Don't see why I couldn't. :D I think I have a babysitter that weekend.

What do I need to do? Range memberships? Waivers?

Please read the intro and sign in:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40494

and show up with $10 in $1 bills.

USAFR
04-15-10, 16:27
10.00 ant no thing, where and when.

Be cool

Rob

USAFR
04-15-10, 16:30
Now what else they got going on in the club house?

Just asking, what evers cool with me.

Be really safe, just hope I dont get a job that weekend.

Rob

bkb0000
04-15-10, 16:41
HAH! no girls on the range, sorry. dont think we'd get too much training done, but then again- $10 would be gone in about 3 sets.

$10 in ones 'cause i dont know what everyones' share will be till we get a headcount.

bkb0000
04-22-10, 22:23
Dont forget !

i meant to post a reminder update last night, but the site was down.. so here it is

we'll start shooting at 11, so you'll probably want to show at 10:30 or earlier. earlier if you want to zero or otherwise **** with your shit. i'm taking tomorrow off to prepare, so hopefully i'll all ready to roll saturday morning and be at the range by 8. since this NEVER actually happens, you may or may not be able to get in before 10ish. you're welcome to come any time after 8, whether anyone's there or not, but if the gate's closed, you'll have to park on the road and hike up.

bring a bit more pistol than we usually shoot- i'd suggest 200 rounds. i'd also suggest 400 of rifle- we may or may not shoot that much. also, bring your CCW gear and clothing similar to what you usually wear- we'll be doing some good CCW drills.

checklist:
Pistol ammo
rifle ammo
ear pro
eye pro
EMPTY mags and loose rounds to load into them for round limit drills
knee/elbow pads if youre a pussy :p
food/drink- hopefully it'll be warm, so gatoraid might not be a bad idea. no whiskey.
TA50 and CCW rig/gear
Form 1s and 4s, if you got 'em
and dont forget $10 in ones!

lastly, we try to be as respectful of the neighbors as possible. please slow to well under 25mph as you pass the last house on the left before you get to the range.. you'll see a SLOW/CHILDREN type sign as you approach. basically the only traffic these folks have to deal with is range traffic- so if you go whizzing by and kick up dust and run over their dog/kids, the range will get bitched at.

looking forward to it, gentlemen. any questions/concerns/problems/whatever, feel free to PM me or email me at bkb0000@comcast.net

ETA- almost forgot! bring some .308, if you want an opportunity to rock out with an SR25- Titleist's made-out-of-money-ass will be bringing one for us all to enjoy. but you'll need some .308, 'cause nobody likes a mooch.

USAFR
04-23-10, 18:00
to it, if I get all my BS done I'll be there.

Be safe

rob

MookNW
04-24-10, 10:46
Short ammo funds are keepin me out today. Sorry yal. I wanna see some pics tho.

bkb0000
04-25-10, 00:35
Excellent day at the range. we really got some good training in today.

one weird thing, though.... ONLY 2 SHOOTERS??

you guys suck!

Thanks for coming out, Isaac and Piet.

rundown of the day-

started with a quick zero confirm, then isaac's benelli- very nice shotgun. i did a quick mag dump with the last of the 10-15 rounds he'd brought, and was pretty impressed. no more shotshell, after that...

then moved into some basic line-firing.. up drills on failures, transitions, etc. once warmed up, i think we pretty much went straight into shoot n move. We each ran a few courses of fire emphasizing shooting from or to cover, transitioning to get to cover to reload, doing manips from cover, etc.

then we switched over to CCW drills- did some El Presidentes, some Deputy Blanks (action/reaction drills), and some head-to-head shootouts. the shootouts are my favorite line drills. put the carbines and TA50 back on and did some off line-of-attack movement drills.

next Isaac busted out the SR25, which none of you couch-sitters got to shoot, and we moved back to some carbine shoot n move cover runs. topped everything off with some more line drills- X-drills, some more head-to-head, ****ed off a little, shot my 700 for a couple shaky groups, policed our estimated 2250 rounds of brass between the three of us, shot the shit for a bit and took off, tired and satisfied with an excellent day at the range.

now for the lecture:

the disappointment associated with the ridiculously low turnout isn't for us- we did fine with just the three of us. there were a couple of drills we couldnt do because we didn't have enough people- but really, having only 3 of us allowed for a much more rapid day, much higher round expenditures through real training, etc. thats NOT to say i'm glad you assholes didn't make it- i'm just leading up to the point that my disappointment isn't a selfish one, it's disappointment that you people missed out on an excellent opportunity to improve your own gunfighting ability.

from a training perspective, 3 is probably the absolute least i'd want to train with for a group-geared event. but it doesn't matter to me if it's 3 or 15, for those who actually show. YOU get NO training in if you don't commit yourself, and fight adversity. these events are "fun," but they're primarily, secondarily, and tertiarily to help you survive a gunfight. you're forced into drills/positions/equipment trials/etc that you wouldnt'/couldn't find on your own individual range time. i made several mistakes today that i won't make again- things i wouldn't have discovered if not forced out of my element and pressed for performance. you just cant get that on your own.

i take this shit very seriously. you don't have to, but know that i WILL flick mad shit at people who dont. :p:) COMMIT YOURSELF! IT MAY SAVE YOUR OR YOUR LOVED ONES' LIVES SOMEDAY!

Fontaine
04-25-10, 03:01
LOL, the last time I drove down for a M4C event, it was just Isaac, Piet, Me and USAFR, haha.

Seeing the videos online though... you can bet your ass i'll make the drive down from Seattle for it! I had to go to a very good friend's wedding today, and that's my excuse. Otherwise, would've loved to train with ya'll.

lfromsalem
04-25-10, 15:14
I really wish I could have made it. I just don't have all the gear.
Mabey next time!

bkb0000
04-25-10, 15:43
I really wish I could have made it. I just don't have all the gear.
Mabey next time!

what are you lacking? i'm pretty thrifty when it comes to gear- might be able to offer some less expensive but good suggestions

Dutchy556
04-25-10, 15:51
Good write up Ben, I had a great time yesterday.

Really is a shame that more folks didn't/couldn't show up but prior engagements and lack of funds/ammo are understandable. Though if anyone just sat on the couch or something yesterday... for shame!

lfromsalem- It was just asked but what sort of gear are you missing? Depending on what you need someone might be able to hook you up with some loaner stuff for a shoot. I personally have plenty of extra tactical gear laying around and generally speaking am not opposed to the idea of loaning out weapons either so long as the shooter is squared away.

Jay Cunningham
04-25-10, 17:39
Good job guys. You'll eventually get more sissies to come out with you.

Titleist
04-25-10, 22:35
Good job guys. You'll eventually get more sissies to come out with you.

Yeah it was 3 of us, kind of lame, but kind of awesome. Ben, Piet, and myself are all competent shooters, so the drills were still great to keep up on the move and shoot skillsets. I wish I hadn't forgotten my 12ga and 9mm at home, because shooting the pistol is the key area I need to work on for my shooting skills (especially before I spend 3 days in june on the Magpul Dynamics Handgun 1 rodeo).

Pretty decent weather, mixed showers on and off (every time I ran my drills the weather was actually okay, haha). Again it's a really nice little range, I hate saying cute, but it's small and just enough for what we need. That and the ROs let us use big boy rules, which is a big advantage over Douglas Ridge. As long as we're safe we get carte blanche!

Photos:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4553510578_09d2ab6468_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3247/4552871959_d0d401331a_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/4553512492_9a6137f1c6_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4553513966_9d27c46499_b.jpg

Note muzzle flash and Ben's awesome face in this!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/4553515596_6304852822_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3543/4553517196_a223231db2_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3444/4552879737_9e1f7dfa35_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3616/4553519384_7a91368cda_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/4552882901_241beff9f7_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/4552876411_3d074dcb09_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaac_marchionna/sets/72157623932843466/

And here's some photos and video:

Video:

Piet, Dutchy, running the move and shoot drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il2crT_5um0

Ben, BKB, running the move, urban prone, and shoot drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7y9-8j15o

Just doing a move while shooting drill with the SR-25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5neqSU23Wc

bkb0000
04-25-10, 23:10
AAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

this has got to be the single worst photograph ever taken of me. its been 15 minutes, and my wife is still making noises...

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/stuff/benfaceGIF.jpg?t=1272254811

in my defense, this is a Deputy Blank drill- i'm roll playing as a hopped-up "bad guy."

bkb0000
04-25-10, 23:10
good stuff, Isaac- thanks for posting, and for being photographer

Titleist
04-26-10, 00:00
AAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

this has got to be the single worst photograph ever taken of me. its been 15 minutes, and my wife is still making noises...

It takes skill to pull off that look. Good on you! bwahahaha

lfromsalem
04-26-10, 11:44
what are you lacking? i'm pretty thrifty when it comes to gear- might be able to offer some less expensive but good suggestions

Well, It might be a shorter list if I tell you what I DO have.
Rifle, pistol, MAV, 3 mag rifle pouch, ear and eye protection.

Yep, I got along ways to go.:(

Titleist
04-26-10, 12:01
That'd actually have been fine for the shoot. You just need a holster, and that's good to go.

bkb0000
04-26-10, 12:05
Well, It might be a shorter list if I tell you what I DO have.
Rifle, pistol, MAV, 3 mag rifle pouch, ear and eye protection.

Yep, I got along ways to go.:(

so you need a holster, sling, and pistol mag pouch? sounds like you're not nearly as far off as you think. i've got an assload of old-school GI 3-mag pouches i could GIVE you, and you can get 2-mag pistol pouches for like $10 at Aloha surplus or similar (watch out for chicom shit). that just leaves a sling and holster... a GI 2-point sling is perfectly fine, otherwise even a BF sling is only like $40 shipped. i'd recommend getting a good holster- but a good belt holster still shouldnt set you back any more than $80, and possibly as little as $50, depending on what you get.

have you seen the gear i sport? basically all GI surplus.

MookNW
04-26-10, 12:11
Awesome pic/vids. I'm in for the next one no problemo. I'm waiting on a new cheaper to shoot pistol than my .45, but that should be gtg in a few weeks.

bkb0000
04-26-10, 12:18
That'd actually have been fine for the shoot. You just need a holster, and that's good to go.

aside from a sling (not sure if he has one or not), he probably could get away with nothing more than a pistol holster.

what pistol you got, Salem?

the whole point of the PNW training meet is to increase your gunfighting skill- since we're not soldiers, your carbine gear doesn't need to be THAT squared away. t-bone187, for instance, just runs a belt pack full of magazines, a kydex belt holster, and single-point sling... talk about simplicity. and the fact of the matter is, if he needs to gear up for a real-life carbine emergency, he's more prepared with that gear than the rest of us with our bigass belts/LCEs/carriers/etc.

the important thing is that you run what you're gonna use back on the block- whatever system that's gonna be. simple is not a negative here.

lfromsalem
04-26-10, 14:20
I do also have a sling now(MS2).
Pistol is a G19 w/X300.

And...Only have 1 20rd and 4 30rd mags.

bkb0000
04-26-10, 14:51
Pistol is a G19 w/X300.

http://www.blade-tech.com/Tactical-Light-Holster-w-Tek-Lok-pr-953.html#product_images

http://www.blade-tech.com/Tactical-Light-Holster-w-DOH-SR-Loop-pr-952.html

Dutchy556
04-26-10, 14:55
Pistol is a G19 w/X300.

As the others have said, you're more prepared than you think. As Ben mentioned, it should be fairly easy for you to to pick up the few things you need even on a short budget.

OR, If you come out to the next shoot I've got a couple G19 holsters you can try/borrow (not light compatible holsters but they'd work for the day) and I have plenty of pistol mag pouches sitting around. Figured I'd offer so you have the option to try some different stuff before you buy.

Dutchy556
04-26-10, 15:05
http://www.blade-tech.com/Tactical-Light-Holster-w-Tek-Lok-pr-953.html#product_images

http://www.blade-tech.com/Tactical-Light-Holster-w-DOH-SR-Loop-pr-952.html

I was replying while this was posted - The blade tech light bearing holsters would be a good choice. RCS is good too, but the wait time is nuts right now.

If you're looking to carry solely OWB on a duty or battle belt set up have a look at the Safariland ALS series as well (I run 6320s on my battle belt).

I'm sure some others might chime in with suggestions.

And like I said, you're more than welcome to try out an MTAC or Kramer #3 at the next shoot but no dice on the x300 with those.

lfromsalem
04-26-10, 16:35
Wow.....

I must say, you guy's are freakin awesome! Everybody seems really nice, and fast responses too!
I will start savin' ammo for the next time now.

Oh yea, and sorry if I got the thread off track.

bkb0000
04-26-10, 16:43
Ben, BKB, running the move, urban prone, and shoot drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7y9-8j15o

the benefit of video of yourself is crazy.. i cant believe i never really thought to do so before. that FTF, for instance- after about the 5th time watching the vid, i finally noticed it's one of my brownell's mags that hung up- again. with all our topping-off, i bet i topped that one and the one before up to 30.. i'll have to keep an eye on that.

also need to be making better use of cover.. i did fine on the reload, but should have ducked back again for the malf clear.

gotta better anticipate those shoulder transitions.. have the weapon shouldered before peeking the corner.. :rolleyes: , and making sure my thumb is all the way around so i dont have to reach for the safety so far once i'm eyes-on.

and i did no search nor assess at the end.

bkb0000
04-26-10, 16:47
Wow.....

I must say, you guy's are freakin awesome! Everybody seems really nice, and fast responses too!
I will start savin' ammo for the next time now.

Oh yea, and sorry if I got the thread off track.

its cool. if we wanted to get into the detailed merits of one holster or other piece of kit over the other, a new thread should be started- but right now, but this one's in back-fill mode.. doesn't really matter.

Dutchy556
04-26-10, 17:17
the benefit of video of yourself is crazy..

I was thinking the same thing last night, the vids are a good learning tool. I've been going over mine a few times and picking up areas I can improve in as well.

I think we should make it a habit to film as many drills as possible for the purposes of reviewing stuff after the fact, could be a very valuable learning tool not only for ourselves but for our whole group if we're willing to be open and honest about our strengths and weaknesses as shooters.

Not to mention you get to look cool on the internet. :cool:

lfromsalem - Always happy to offer advice or assistance, glad to hear you're gonna get some ammo set aside, looking forward to meeting you at the next get together!

lfromsalem
04-26-10, 17:52
Just watched the vid's.:eek:
Now I really can't wait!

Titleist
04-26-10, 18:04
I think we should make it a habit to film as many drills as possible for the purposes of reviewing stuff after the fact, could be a very valuable learning tool not only for ourselves but for our whole group if we're willing to be open and honest about our strengths and weaknesses as shooters.

Let me run this through my translator app...here goes...

BEEP BOOP WHIR BOOP BING WONKA SPROING!

Result: We want Titleist to do more work at the shoots, and less shooting of guns.

Well screw you guys! :p

Dutchy556
04-27-10, 01:21
Nah I'll actually bust out my camera as well... for real the next time! I know I almost always say I'll take pictures and either forget my camera or am too lazy...

Still think its a good idea...

Fontaine
04-28-10, 01:31
Yeah, videos of my matches up here have definitely helped me spot my weaknesses with shooting/moving, and see how i actual react under the "stress" of a timer, and has helped me identify problems I never had.

I'll help video tape with my point and shoot next time. I'd just kindly ask that the next one of these M4C events is on the 1st or 4th saturday of the month. 2nd Saturday of the month is tactical rifle matches up in Custer and Practical Rifle down in Portland (Tri County Gun Club), 3rd Saturday is IDPA/USPSA for Seattle area shooters, etc etc.

USAFR
04-28-10, 13:36
Looks like a good day, just didnt have it all covered on the home front.
Salem guy, I also have a boat load of gear, so dont let that slow ya down with the training.

It looks like my turn to set up another meeting. How does the 22 of May work for everyone? Enought time to get ammo, and if I get more then four and myself I'll have to do a letter to DR to get us all in.

What I do need is a group name in order to do that: So what do we call ourselfs? We also need to make sure no one else is using the name.

Glad ya all had a good training.

Be safe

Dutchy556
04-28-10, 15:36
22 May is a no-go for me - I'll be in the middle of a wilderness survival class.

Weekend of the 15th & 16th I also have another class... other than that I should be open but obviously this thing ain't riding solely on yours truly.

Maybe start a new thread for figuring everything out?