PDA

View Full Version : Weight: Carbine versus Middy

Jitterbug
02-10-10, 11:04
Forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, I'm a newb, but I'm going back and forth between AR's and one of my deciding factors is weight...does a Mid length upper weigh more then a carbine? Any specifics?

I've been considering a BCM middy with plastic hand guards. Versus a Carbine length...if I can find one. 16" barrel.

Cincinnatus
02-10-10, 11:15
I know the middie is heavier than the standard carbine of same barrel length, assuming both are govt. contour, but I don't know by how much the middie is heavier. Most middies drop the M203 notch, not sure how much weight that can really add. It would almost seem that a middie would be light since the skinny part of the barrel under the handguards is extended a little farther than on a carbine length system, but alas, when lifting a middie in one hand and a carbine in the other, there is a significant weight difference detectable.

bkb0000
02-10-10, 11:27
assuming a fixed front sight post, the added weight comes from the handguard. mid-length handguards are going to be about 27% heavier than carbine handguards from the same manfer in the same style. if youre using plastic handguards, this is inconsequential.

other variables can exist, like the regular availability of barrel profiles between carbine and mid... most of the middys out there are "medium," which is a little heavier than the common "govt" profiles found on a lot of carbine 16s... but these are totally controllable variables.

Cincinnatus
02-10-10, 11:47
Not to get off topic, but is the BCM standard 16" middie government or medium contour?

Amicus
02-10-10, 11:57
Not to get off topic, but is the BCM standard 16" middie government or medium contour?

Their literature states both the regular and the BFH midlengths are "gov't."

bkb0000
02-10-10, 11:58

depends if you want SS or CMV- their CMVs are govt-ish, their SSs are mediumish. the vast majority of SS mids, and professional-grade SS in general, are mediumish profiled.

the only middys i've used have all been SS, so that's still generally what i think of when i think mid.

ForTehNguyen
02-10-10, 12:15
isnt the govt middy slightly lighter because of the longer taper than the carbine

Jitterbug
02-10-10, 13:39
I'm thinking of going with the 16" Stainless, for an extra accuracy edge, but I got to thinking about shooting from a standing position, which I intend to do a bit of.

And got to wondering about the weight difference. I've been looking at the "advertised" weight of a few carbines that are already put together, anywhere from 5.75-7pounds.

Even an extra pound or so can make a difference. I'm not too concerned about other positions or carrying.

So if I'm understanding, all else being equal, the SS middy is probably going to be the heaviest of all configurations?

Are we talking 1-2 pounds...WAGs are ok.

bkb0000
02-10-10, 13:46
HO no... 7lbs is a light-weight build, and no stainless midlength 16" with FF handguards is going to be 7lbs. for a weapon like this, and before you hang a bunch of shit on it, you're looking at about 9lbs minimum. by the time you put an optic, light, VFG, a bunch of rail guards, and try to balance all that forward weight with a heavy stock- you're over 10lbs easy, and possibly approaching 11 or 12, configuration depending.

Amicus
02-10-10, 14:32
Although I am far from even knowledgeable on the subject, I do know from reading up here on M4C that BKB is entirely correct. You are not talking about a lightweight build.

To get a true lightweight you have to shave ounces off everywhere (the following are suggestions): old style tapered plastic handguards (not Magpul), you can try a plastic (Cav Arms) or carbon fiber upper or lower; lightweight bbl profile; the standard FSB is pretty light, but you can look around; consider substituting a XS tritium front sight post for a RDS or other optic; if you have to have a light (a good idea), then add a 2" GG&G rail and use a Streamlight TLR-3; use a Magpul BUIS rear as a main sight or BUIS, or buy a small fixed rear sight; if you need magnification for an optic, use a compact ACOG with an AD or LaRue base; if you want a RDS, use an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 with an AD or LaRue base, or perhaps a Dr. Optic or similar RDS; how about an A1 stock? ...

And you can forget about aluminum rails/handguards, lasers, VFGs, and anything else.

That kind of thing. The above is just a list of suggestions for a lightweight build and not meant to be comprehensive.

Todd.K
02-10-10, 17:21
If both are govt profile the difference in weight would be very small. I wouldn't worry too much about the 2oz the Mid handguard will add.

no stainless midlength 16" with FF handguards is going to be 7lbs.

This one is 6lbs with no BUIS, contour is about the weight of a 16" M4 profile.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=r-16rh-68&cat=53&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Jitterbug
02-10-10, 18:09
I found one of Jeff's posts with one of his BCM Middys, he said 8 pound 4 oz IIRC, and that was with rail, light etc.

DD advertises their carbine at 6 pounds.

I'm still going back and forth between BCM, 16 SS ML, LMT carbine, DD carbine. Overall weight is just one consideration, mechanical accuracy is important to me, hence the interest in the SS.

I see BCM is going to come out with a LW Middy...soon.

Thanks for the input guys!