PDA

View Full Version : The Worlds Best Gun Cleaner

LongRider
02-10-10, 12:30
I have posted this on other forums. I am so enthusiastic about this product that I have been accused of being a shill for Gunzilla. I am not. I have no affiliation, association or connection with Gunzilla. Other than being a very satisfied customer. This is not only a product that will make your life easier and your guns run better. It may very well save your life if you are in harms way. Once you try it I am willing to bet you will be as impressed and pleased with it as I am.

I read these two posts about a year ago at Gunzilla, The Worlds Best Gun Cleaner (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/general-firearm-discussion/58155-gunzilla.html) It is rather long but for the time and money it will save you well worth the read. I have a cabinet full of gun cleaning and lubricating products collected over forty years that now sit gathering dust replaced by one bottle.

Folks....I may end up eating my words. That's not always a bad thing in my book. We can learn something new.
Again......I'll continue to use four chemicals to care for all of my firearms. A one shot does it all don't set too well with me. Hoppes #9, CLP, Zero-Friction, and Shooter's Choice rust prevent. I'll use these products as long as they are available......tried, tested, and true for me. Not joining the wagon for something new and a one time does everything product. In my mind, something like that isn't possible. It can't be.
So...the story begins. Since I saw the post, and replied to it, I've decided it's best to accumulate knowledge

Okay then. I didn't want this to be short, but I shouldn't wait any longer. I'm in the middle of my 40 hours in three day work stint, but I received my 1.9oz squirt bottle yesterday afternoon. Just a sample for the skeptical at $6.95 figuring I can't go wrong. The test subject is just the beginning actually, and the best thing available was my EDC Glock G27 which has seen a mere 200 rounds since it's last cleaning. My first test was to spray one squirt on my index finger just to get a feel for it and compare it with that CLP feeling I'm so accustomed to. I rubbed it around on my finger with my thumb and it felt with less 'texture' than CLP. I smelled it, and for the life of me, I can't pinpoint the scent other than a hint of pine, then I thought of Mellalucca oil? Well, can't try to explain that other than it's a more pleasant smell than CLP, or the Hoppes which I am addicted to. The spray on my fingers dissipated faster than the other chemicals I've used, but remained slick even after the shine and moisture was gone.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q25/redrider02/gunsmithing/113_0558.jpg
First up was the barrel....one spritz on a dry patch through the bore back and forth one time. The Glock nylon bristle bore brush down and back ten times then laid the barrel aside. 1 spritz on the frame internals as they always collect carbon and I like them shiny. 6 regular q-tips and all was good there. Two squirts to the slide bottom and top, q-tips over the slide internals, wire brush to the breech face, then wipe down with the old virgin rag 100% cotton t-shirt. One spritz on the end of a q-tip to hit the frame rails and done. Back to barrel.....I sprayed one squirt right down into it and let it soak about ten minutes. Four patches later, and they were coming out clean, and the bore looks better than I can remember since it was new. With the Gunzilla, and the job accomplished, I didn't feel the immediate need to run inside the house and wash my hands like I do with the other stuff. And the pistol looks and feels clean with no hint of excess liquid anywhere, like I'd be wiping off some areas the next day with my other brands. This stuff has an invisible slickness to it. I quite possibly used half of the liquids I normally would have on this task alone.
The product came with plenty of information, history/development, and some how-to's.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q25/redrider02/gunsmithing/113_0559.jpg
One product did do everything I needed to do, and replaced these four in this particular instance.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q25/redrider02/gunsmithing/113_0560.jpg
My choice of patches will always remain the same for any caliber I have and work well without cutting or folding in my 9mm's, 40's and 45.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q25/redrider02/gunsmithing/113_0561.jpg
To sum things up, I like this product very much. I didn't feel the need to get into the gun safe and do more, and they should already be clean enough? I'll be putting the Gunzilla through the real hoops in the days ahead with the likes of the 10/22 after 500 rounds (the nastiest thing you'll ever want to see in a dirty firearm), and the AR-15 after one or two hundred rounds. Those will be the real tests for sure, and from now until this bottle is empty, I'll be using the Gunzilla exclusively just to see if I feel the need to use another one of my in stock products.
My job not only requires me to be an electrician, but a heavily involved maintenance tech as well. I/we use a lot of cleaning/lubricating products and for specific purposes. To think of one product doing everything and being non-hazardous at the same time would be changing the world, but it might be possible. My first test gives Gunzilla a decisive thumbs-up, and the rest of the stuff will remain in the cabinet collecting dust for now...the real tests are still to come, and I'll post those as well when they come about.
A special thanks to TapRackBang for the enlightenment and all the help and NCFIA for the quick shipment. I think you guys are really going places with this product!

Having read Ram Rod's posts for awhile his words have some credibility with me but really a one stop clean lube protect product not likely. But I bought some to try. A year later having used Gunzilla exclusively on all my guns, all of my XD's, Bersa, Cougar, 1911, ARs, shotguns, 10/22 and hunting rifles. I now put NO lube on any of my guns. I clean them with Gunzilla wipe them dry, done. Period. All of my guns without exception run better and CLEANER. My cleaning regime now takes less than half the time it used to AND my wife now actually LIKES the smell and no longer banishes me to the shop to clean my guns. The original thread above now has over 200 posts with nearly that number of new users of Gunzilla. Without exception everyone who has used it is a convert. It does everything Gunzilla's website statement below says and more.

Gunzilla BC-10 is a patent pending gun cleaning formula which was developed for the military, made from agriculturally based chemicals.

Gunzilla is a one step cleaner designed to clean, lubricate, and protect, all in one formula.

Gunzilla removes rust, lead, copper, plastic, carbon and even cleans corrosive ammo. It performs this quickly with a natural-base chemical, which is faster, more effective, and safer than water based formulas or petroleum based solvents. , cleaning is faster and easier

Gunzilla can be used on all smokeless and black powder guns, and eliminates the need to use soap and water when cleaning black powder guns. It also eliminates oiling after cleaning.

You will find among its benefits:

• Low odor
• No Phenol
• No Teflon
• Non-corrosive
• No ammonia
• Non-flammable
• Airline safe (in checked baggage)
• Natural chemical base (from plants)
• No petroleum solvents
• No hazardous chemicals
• Soap and water cleanup
Read the original thread Gunzilla, The Worlds Best Gun Cleaner (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/general-firearm-discussion/58155-gunzilla.html) and the website testimonials (http://www.topduckproducts.com/testimonials.aspx).

But the best test I know of is clean your gun as best you can. Than clean it again. Be positive, it as clean as you can get it. Cleaner than you have ever had it. Now clean it with Gunzilla and tell us what do you see. Shoot your gun as many rounds as you can. How does it perform for you? How dirty is it when you clean it again? How hard is it to clean the second time with Gunzilla? I'm curious to hear what your impressions

William B.
02-10-10, 13:29
deleted

LongRider
02-10-10, 15:36
So you're telling me if I clean my weapons with Gunzilla I don't have to lube them anymore?
Exactly. I know it sounds weird and even wrong but it is an excellent lubricant that repels carbon keeps it from bonding to the metal. It can be a dry or wet lube. I have just wiped my weapon down after cleaning leaving a dry film and they have run excellent cooler and cleaner

Razorhunter
02-10-10, 16:11
So this stuff apparently dries completely, and leaves no oil or lube behind, but still lubricates?
IOW's, it's similar to Tuf Glide which has been around for years? I'm not comparing this products performance with Tuf Glide or anything.
Rather, I'm just asking if it's similar, given that Tuf Glide is also a product that dries completely, and apparently leaves a dry but slick lubricant "film" behind.

bkb0000
02-10-10, 16:18
so what do you do 600, 700, 800 rounds into a session when your weapon starts to bog down and hiccup? i assume this "cleaner" cannot then be squirted into the action to damped and loosen up all the cake thats baking in there... or would you just start loobing as normal at that point?

nothing is going to keep a weapon from accumulated shit deposits, and if the weapon's dry, those shit deposits are going to accumulate hard, rather than soft.

William B.
02-10-10, 16:22
so what do you do 600, 700, 800 rounds into a session when your weapon starts to bog down and hiccup? i assume this "cleaner" cannot then be squirted into the action to damped and loosen up all the cake thats baking in there... or would you just start loobing as normal at that point?

nothing is going to keep a weapon from accumulated shit deposits, and if the weapon's dry, those shit deposits are going to accumulate hard, rather than soft.

Yeah, I'm kind of skeptical of this, too.

Belmont31R
02-10-10, 16:40
No thanks, and sounds like BS.

Makes the gun run cooler? Keeps the carbon from bonding? So where is this carbon going to go? Dry film instead of lube that is spray on?

Slip Carbon Cutter, brake cleaner, and Slip EWL work just fine without any extravagant claims.

nozzle13
02-10-10, 18:38
Is this what they are using for the barrel coating on the ACR?!?:D

LongRider
02-10-10, 22:28
So this stuff apparently dries completely, and leaves no oil or lube behind, but still lubricates?
IOW's, it's similar to Tuf Glide which has been around for years? I'm not comparing this products performance with Tuf Glide or anything.
Rather, I'm just asking if it's similar, given that Tuf Glide is also a product that dries completely, and apparently leaves a dry but slick lubricant "film" behind.
I am unfamiliar with Tru Glide so I can not say for sure but it sounds a little alike. After cleaning you can wipe Gunzilla down dry it and leave it or you can give it a little lube spray and leave it wet. I like my bolt to be a bit wet to I give it a a little squirt. On my XD I put a drop on a Q tip and wipe the rails.
For the skeptics and doubters I get your point I was like you did not believe it. I actually bought the $6 bottle to prove the claims wrong and I was not the only one. Read the one thread I posted. More than a few of the 200 posters thought it was BS too. Until they tried it. There really is only one way to prove the claims wrong. Do what I did. If you really enjoy the time you spend cleaning your weapons keep on doing what you are doing now.

John Hearne
02-11-10, 11:31
While I can't speak to the lubricating properties of Gunzilla, I clean with it then lube with something else, it is an excellent cleaner. It seems to treat the metal so that everytime you clean with it, it's a little easier than the last time.

When I was at Rogers, we were shooting ~500 rounds a day. I stripped and cleaned my Sig every night and even though the round count went up every day, it was easier to clean each time. Now that I've been using the product for 18 months or so, my stainless (can see any crud) Sig requires very little brush work.

We ended up buying Gunzilla for work and put it in a parts cleaner. If you can soak your barrel for several hours, it cleans up remarkably well.

tracker722
02-11-10, 15:04

RogerinTPA
02-11-10, 17:55
No thanks, and sounds like BS.

Makes the gun run cooler? Keeps the carbon from bonding? So where is this carbon going to go? Dry film instead of lube that is spray on?

Slip Carbon Cutter, brake cleaner, and Slip EWL work just fine without any extravagant claims.

Agreed.

marh415
02-12-10, 15:32
Just to caution some of you with this product, I used this to clean my T/C black powder, and it blistered the camo finish on my foregrip along the barrel.
T/C was nice enough to send me a replacement, but I didn't tell them what caused it. This stuff also removed the red fire/safety paint from my Sig Mosquito.
I'm not trying to say it doesn't work, I'm just saying to be careful around those types of finishes. As for myself... I will stick with the CLP.

LongRider
02-14-10, 22:29
Just to caution some of you with this product, I used this to clean my T/C black powder, and it blistered the camo finish on my foregrip along the barrel.
T/C was nice enough to send me a replacement, but I didn't tell them what caused it. This stuff also removed the red fire/safety paint from my Sig Mosquito.
I'm not trying to say it doesn't work, I'm just saying to be careful around those types of finishes. As for myself... I will stick with the CLP.

That is a new one on me as I had not experienced that in the year I have used it. So I wrote Don Kettles the developer and maker of Gunzilla. Turns out you are absolutely right. Here is what he had to say

Subject: RE: Gunzilla paint stripper?
Date: February 14, 2010 4:53:06 AM PST
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Good morning,

Generally speaking Gunzilla will not harm paints that have been baked on or
powder coated. But paints that have been sprayed out of can, dipped, or
painted with a brush can be removed by Gunzilla. For example, on my son's
car I removed road paint and tar from his car but it left the paint finish
fine. We recommend testing Gunzilla first on any special finish. In
regards to camo finishes they are all done differently and we recommend
testing a non-noticeable area first. Also on painted surfaces we recommend
wiping Gunzilla completely dry after cleaning. We also recommend wiping
Gunzilla completely dry after cleaning wood surfaces.

We appreciate having you as a valued customer and please let me know if we
can be of any further assistance.

Don Kettles

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:32 PM
To: Don Kettles
Subject: Gunzilla paint stripper?

Mr Kettles,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply to my questions. Looks like I
will be stock piling a little Gunzilla and rotating my supplies. As
this really is a product I would hate to run out of. I have shared my
enthusiasm for your product on several fire arm message boards. Some of
course voice doubts about any one step clean and lubricate product or a
dry lubricant working especially on an AR format. The solution of
course is for them to prove it for themselves. One issue that was
posted
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46976&goto=newpost
Is that Gunzilla blistered the camo finish on the foregrip along the
barrel and removed the red safety paint from his Sig Mosquito. Is that
correct? Should caution be used using Gunzilla around painted surfaces?
Again thank you for your time and assistance.

Previously I had asked him what the shelf life of Gunzilla is. Something the dealer could not tell me. To date it is five years. Beyond that they do not know. An aside I have been told he is a great guy who is very supportive of our military. If you are active duty military he will send you a free sample of Gunzilla to use as you see fit. There are four units that I know of that are using Gunzilla in Afghanistan and Iraq because their CO's bought a supply of pocket. Because they say it made their weapon run cooler and cleaner. So there must be some validity to the claims if they are willing to bet their guys lives on it. My experience says they are true but than I don't shoot under the conditions they do. Nor have I done any verifiable testing I can only say that my guns AR included seem to run cooler and are cleaner now than before I started using Gunzilla.