PDA

View Full Version : First post - First AR

erogers
02-10-10, 13:19
Hi guys. I just joined the forum (after many months of lurking) because I finally bought my first AR. It's a Colt LE6920 that I got new for $1099. I think it was a pretty good deal at that price. I don't have much else to say right now other than I look forward to talking with you guys from time to time and learning more about these great carbines. I know training is important, so I plan on getting into a class as soon as one is offered in my area. In the meantime, I guess I could get the discussion going by asking everyone what was the first accessory/addition you made to your AR/M4? I have a tendency to splurge on all kinds of crap for my guns, but I've decided to really take it slow this time. Your responses would be appreciated.

William B.
02-10-10, 13:26
Congrats on the new Colt! That was a good deal for $1099. I would buy either an optic or a weapon light first.

bkb0000
02-10-10, 13:39
welcome..

do you have any experience with the platform?

first things i'd buy is a 5 or 10 pack of pmags, a case or two of ammunition, and a good 2-point sling. next thing i'd do is get with someone who's got some BRM experience- preferable an infantry veteran friend or, i suppose, anyone who's been through military BRM. they can easily show you the basics to AR shooting... breath control, trigger squeeze, holdovers, shooting positions, etc. learn the irons, and once you're consistently getting 3cm or less groups at 25m, or 12" or less groups at 300m, upgrade to an RDS- aimpoints are the "best," in my opinion- they break less and have ridiculously long battery life.

William B.
02-10-10, 13:43
first things i'd buy is a 5 or 10 pack of pmags, a case or two of ammunition...

Yeah, he's right. Definitely get the mags and ammo first.

erogers
02-10-10, 14:22
I already have a dozen P-Mags and 1,000 rounds of Federal Tactical 5.56 ammo, so I'm in good shape there. Even though this is my first AR, it's not my first tactical rifle. I have owned a SIG 556 SWAT for the past two years, and that's why I already have the supply of ammo and mags. I'm pretty handy with the SIG, beating the criteria bkb000 mentioned for open sights at both 25 and 300 meters (actually at 50m and 300m). However, I realize the M4 is much lighter and a different animal altogether, so I'm treating this like I'm a complete novice to these types of weapons in general. I really appreciate the thoughts and advice so far.