PDA

View Full Version : ZM weapons questions

Seth Harness
04-06-07, 14:54
Can anyone tell me how the ZM weapons gas system works? Ive read a little bit about it and dont quite get it all.
&
Is the rifle worth over $1700.00 for this type of system?

Seth Harness
04-06-07, 20:41
No, no, no... apparently just no wouldn't do, 5+ characters as required

Sorry man, you lost me, I dont get it. :confused: Does that mean you dont know how it works?

Dport
04-06-07, 21:17
I think there is a minimum 5 character limit for a post. So he couldn't just say no and move on.

I'd like to play around with one, but they're too expensive and the wait is too long for me.

caporider
04-06-07, 21:28
Can anyone tell me how the ZM weapons gas system works? Ive read a little bit about it and dont quite get it all.
&
Is the rifle worth over $1700.00 for this type of system?

The ZM uses a modified direct impingement (DI) gas system. The only difference between the ZM and an AR is that the ZM uses a recoil spring attached to the front of a modified bolt carrier, whereas the AR uses a spring behind the bolt carrier (thus necessitating a buffer tube). The ZM eliminates the need for a buffer tube so you can use a folding stock, but the gas system still vents directly into the action. There is no piston involved.

If you're lookiing purely at whether the ZM is a better rifle, it is not worth $1700. If you just want something different, then it's your call.

Seth Harness
04-07-07, 12:07
I think I can invision it. In some of the reading I did it said that it did not use a piston (as you said), but it also said as a result of where the system was located (up high) there was significantly less crap deposited in the receiver.

mike240
04-07-07, 20:22
I just shot one last Wed with a Surfire can. Shot great but cannot add much more. It is still direct gas with a bobbed carrier to allow a folding, and in the case of the one I shot, also collapsible stock.