PDA

View Full Version : BCM Midlength help

Crawdaddy
02-11-10, 08:54
I'm in the market for my first AR. After researching and reading opinions and of course studying "The Chart" I've decided to go with a BCM Mid-length. The only real experience I have with an AR is qualifying with an M-16 for watch standing purposes in the Navy. I was hoping I could get someone more knowledgeable than myself to help make sure everything I get is compatible.
I plan on getting a complete BCM lower with BCM stock from G&R Tactical. For the upper I want the 16" mid length, the BCM BCG, the BCM MOD 4 CH and Troy rear sight. The hand guards I'm not sure about. I don't really want a rail but I would like to possibly mount a flashlight to it. I know the term Mid-length refers to the gas system but what hand guards are compatible? I do like the idea of the Magpul MOE but not sure if it will fit. By the way I would order the complete rifle but they're out until the end of the year.
Sorry for the long post.

ztf HITMAN
02-11-10, 09:02
After having different black rifles over the years, I recently bought a BCM Mid Length with BCM BCG, mid length handguards, and a Magpul MBUS. Mid Lengths have a longer sight radius and longer gas system, which add to (iron sight) accuracy, and longevity of the moving parts (BCG). If you want an aftermarket handguard/rail, you would have to go with a 9" as opposed to a 7"(carbine length). Magpul has a midlength MOE in the works, I just don't think it's available yet.

ForTehNguyen
02-11-10, 10:09
midlengths require midlength handguards. Magpul will come out with a middy MOE in summer. You can attach rails on MOE handguards to attach a flashlight

MarshallDodge
02-11-10, 10:49
If you are only going to mount a flashlight on the gun with standard handguards, there are several options on the market that will allow you to mount the flashlight to the front sight base.

arizonaranchman
02-11-10, 12:12
No-one can poke any holes in your choices of upper and lower. You've done your homework here and it shows. Send us some pics when you get it!

Crawdaddy
02-11-10, 13:20
Thanks for the responses. As I said I don't have a lot of experience with the platform but I figured I couldn't go wrong with BCM. I don't need the rifle for professional reasons but I would like to get the best I could afford. I really just want "plain" hand guards...not to much of a fan of all the gadgets hanging off rifles.
Is the rail that attaches to the front sight worth looking into...for some reason it doesn't seem like a good idea....I guess I could always go "old school" and tape the damn flashlight to the hand guards...but don't want to bubba it up to bad.

Thanks again for all the replies.

drivingforce77
02-11-10, 13:39
Here is an option for midlength handguards. Cavalry Arms Midlength Handguards (http://www.cavalryarms.com/C8.html) These are tapered and built well. They will work on a BCM Upper. I currently have them on mine, but I am switching to a rail now.
An option for mounting a light to the FSB is Midwest Industries FSB Light Mounts (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=94) Of course, you will need a mount for the light itself, but those will give you the rail space and a solid place to mount it. Hope this helps.

moyler
02-11-10, 13:45
...Is the rail that attaches to the front sight worth looking into...for some reason it doesn't seem like a good idea...

I am currently using one of these on a FSB to mount a light: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21194/Product/AR_15_M16_MX_SERIES_TACTICAL_LIGHT_MOUNT

Seems to work fine.

9DivDoc
02-11-10, 15:36
I'm in the market for my first AR. After researching and reading opinions and of course studying "The Chart" I've decided to go with a BCM Mid-length. The only real experience I have with an AR is qualifying with an M-16 for watch standing purposes in the Navy. I was hoping I could get someone more knowledgeable than myself to help make sure everything I get is compatible.
I plan on getting a complete BCM lower with BCM stock from G&R Tactical. For the upper I want the 16" mid length, the BCM BCG, the BCM MOD 4 CH and Troy rear sight. The hand guards I'm not sure about. I don't really want a rail but I would like to possibly mount a flashlight to it. I know the term Mid-length refers to the gas system but what hand guards are compatible? I do like the idea of the Magpul MOE but not sure if it will fit. By the way I would order the complete rifle but they're out until the end of the year.
Sorry for the long post.

Sound like the Cav Arms tapered handguards and the El Zeta light would
fit your wants pretty good..

Until Magpul comes out with their MOE mid length handguards later this year

El Zetta Flashlight (http://elzetta.com/web%20ZFH1500%20&%20Stuff.JPG)

Icedaddy56
02-11-10, 15:48
If all you need is a rail for a light, I just put this on m BCM lower handguard. Required some fitting because of the double heat shield, but put on with some good locktite. Hope this link works otherwise have to cut and paste.

http://www.mountsplus.com/blogers/blogers_add-a-rail.html

ztf HITMAN
02-11-10, 16:44
No-one can poke any holes in your choices of upper and lower. You've done your homework here and it shows. Send us some pics when you get it!

Well said