PDA

View Full Version : CH4D 502 Micrometer Powder Measure, opinions?

Mat
02-11-10, 09:12
Anyone have an opinion of the CH4D 502 Micrometer Powder Measure (http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/?p=70)? I'm going to start loading 55&77gr .223 on a CO-AX and I'm debating between the CH4D and the Redding BR-30 powder measure. Thanks for the help :)

Artos
02-11-10, 12:16
I know many guys who use the br-30 and like them just fine. Cannot comment on the ch.

If you plan to reload a bunch of different rounds then you would be well served with a Harrell's or Neil Jones but your wallet will cry. I use a Bruno that I bought years ago but they quit making them.

The repeatability on the upper in culver type measures are really a treat but not needed if you only load for a few cals.

Mat
02-12-10, 05:34
Thanks Artos. I had looked into the Harrell's but like you said it might be more than I need right now since I'm only planning on 223 and eventually 45acp. I think I'm going to end up pulling the trigger on the CH4D 502, when I get it and some powder actually makes its way onto the planet I'll post some throws. Thanks again for your input :D

williejc
02-19-10, 20:11
You might email these folks. The owner will respond promptly and answer your questions. I like their stuff but have'nt used the powder measure.

Over the last 40 years I have observed that name brand measures will throw charges within acceptable ranges like +or- .1 grain IF the operator takes certain steps:

1--Use ball powder
2--Mount measure solidly to bench
3--Learn to operate measure in a consistent manner so you do it the same way each
time

Measures usually offer a choice of cylinders designated for pistol(smaller cavity) or rifle
reloading. Also both types can be ordered for the same measure.

I like ball powders but don't shun other granulations. For your caliber choices there are some superb ball powders to consider.

Best of luck to you.

Mat
02-19-10, 21:46
1--Use ball powder
2--Mount measure solidly to bench
3--Learn to operate measure in a consistent manner so you do it the same way each
time

Thanks Williejc. I just ordered some TAC, that's fine ball if I recall correctly. I should be up and running in a couple weeks. I've searched all over and can't find anyone with a solid review of the 502, I'm really surprised. I'll give it a shot, it's not terribly expensive so worst case scenario it'll be a secondary powder drop.

chadbag
02-19-10, 22:43
Giving the powder measure a few small whacks each time helps the powder settle and can lead to much more uniform drops.

I had a customer who invented a device that would vibrate the powder measure. In his tests at his gun club (lots of old time reloaders were his testing subjects) they were getting under .1 grain on extruded powders in terms of consistency in throws. I started to sell his device but soon thereafter he unexpectedly was called home to his maker in some sort of accident and so that device withered on the vine. But the idea is sound. If you can settle the powder consistently, your drops will be more consistent.

The reason that extruded powders do not drop as consistently as the ball or very short extruded powders is that the extruded powders leave random air gaps like spaghetti noodles or pickup sticks. Ball powders, and very short extruded powders, have a much more uniform set of air gaps (think a cylinder full of ball bearings -- they basically fill up the cylinder the same each time)... Settling the extruded powders through vibration will make the air gaps more uniform.