PDA

View Full Version : Safety switch on colt vs LMT ?

Pappabear
02-11-10, 10:38
I have noticed the safety on my colt will go on safe even if I have not charged the gun. On my LMT's, it wont let me put on safe unless I rack the charging handle?

Any signifigant point here? I just find it curious in such a well defined world of AR's? Or is something wrong with my Colt? Its been bugging me for a while and I keep forgetting to ask. Mostly concerned about making sure all is working perfect with my safety (s).

a308garand
02-11-10, 11:38
If your rifle is functioning right, the safety selector should not move to safe unless the hammer is cocked.

Eric
02-11-10, 13:46
Take that weapon out of service until it is repaired.
You should not be abble to apply the safety unless the hammer is cocked. Has the FCG been taken apart? Grip removed?

rifleman2000
02-11-10, 14:02
Based on what you say, your Colt is broken. It should not go on safe unless it is charged, hammer cocked.

Peanut
02-11-10, 15:14
Open up your upper, so you can look down into the lower receiver.

1. With the hammer cocked, make sure the selector rotates from safe to semi.
Note that the rear tail portion of the trigger should be in the down position.

2. rotate the selector to semi. Pull the trigger to slowly release the hammer (do not allow the hammer to slam forward onto the bolt catch, this can cause the receiver to crack if done repeatedly) look for the rear tail portion to rise up into the selector.
Now try to rotate the selector to the Safe position. It should not rotate.
If it does rotate, take the rifle out of serves and consult your local armorer.

3. Disconnector. With the trigger pulled and held to the rear. Cock the hammer. which will be captured on the disconnctor. release the trigger and the rear portion of the trigger will drop down and also release the hammer for the disconnector onto the trigger. The selector will now rotate to Safe.

Now that you know what to look for and feel for, you can perform the same safety check with the upper put back in place utlizing the charging handle to cock the hammer.

I hope this helps and I hope that it is a simple case of the hammer was never released thats why the selector was rotating on your Colt.

Pappabear
02-12-10, 16:46
Thanks guys, out of town, stuck in snow storm in Atlanata trying to get home to my loved ones- Colt, Springfield, LMT....:D just B-shitting around.

I'll check it out. And report back and see if you can get me straightened out.

Pappabear
02-14-10, 01:36
Open up your upper, so you can look down into the lower receiver.

1. With the hammer cocked, make sure the selector rotates from safe to semi.
Note that the rear tail portion of the trigger should be in the down position.

2. rotate the selector to semi. Pull the trigger to slowly release the hammer (do not allow the hammer to slam forward onto the bolt catch, this can cause the receiver to crack if done repeatedly) look for the rear tail portion to rise up into the selector.
Now try to rotate the selector to the Safe position. It should not rotate.
If it does rotate, take the rifle out of serves and consult your local armorer.

3. Disconnector. With the trigger pulled and held to the rear. Cock the hammer. which will be captured on the disconnctor. release the trigger and the rear portion of the trigger will drop down and also release the hammer for the disconnector onto the trigger. The selector will now rotate to Safe.

Now that you know what to look for and feel for, you can perform the same safety check with the upper put back in place utlizing the charging handle to cock the hammer.

I hope this helps and I hope that it is a simple case of the hammer was never released thats why the selector was rotating on your Colt.

Let me say this: The safety works perfect, well is works. When safe is on, it will not fire. Thats about all I know. FYI, JP trigger-maybe thats it.