PDA

View Full Version : Second Generation VFG from Daniel Defense

Sam
02-11-10, 11:57
At the SHOT show, I received this prototype VFG from Eric Rice of Daniel Defense to test and evaluate.

Twist on knob that you can tighten with a screw driver or knife blade. It's shown in its stubby configuration, but has an "extender" piece that slips in the middle section between the top piece and bottom piece to form a full length VFG. The slip on extender has a flat portion where you can attach a pressure pad from the weaponlight or other accessories. I don't care for the extender nor the pressure pad platform, I prefer the stubby grip. This piece is light and should help keep the excess weight off the front end of the gun.

I will give it a work out at the Ken Hackathorn carbine class at the end of March.

This item is shown on the Daniel Defense new paper catalog but not yet on their website.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/dd02.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/dd01.jpg

Extender piece with the flat part for attaching pressure pad.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/dd03.jpg

Bowser
02-11-10, 17:21
Looks llike a Tango Down and attaches like a Troy aluminum. I wasn't a big fan of the first gen. DD VFG.

Col_Crocs
02-11-10, 18:15
How does that attachment work? Is it a sleeve that secures onto the ridges of the grip?
I have to admit, I wasnt too impressed the first time I saw this one the net after SHOT but that attachment has a lot of potential for accommodating different grip styles. THis would be an easier version of the possible MIAD type feature I had mentioned else where for the Magpul RVG.

subzero
02-11-10, 19:39
I got a look at one last weekend and I'm really impressed. Long or short grip? Neat. Indexable flat spot to put a pad wherever you want? Nifty. Captured mounting screw that allows the grip to be put on without tools or having to remove anything else on the rail? Supercool. And it's light as all heck too.

252actual
02-12-10, 01:26
sorry but i gotta say... i dont care how well it works if it looks like a damn dildo hanging off the end of my rifle its gotta go. same thing with one of the tango down grips i ended up with... what is it with the design departments of these companies... :rolleyes:

ColdDeadHands
02-12-10, 11:12
sorry but i gotta say... i dont care how well it works if it looks like a damn dildo hanging off the end of my rifle its gotta go. same thing with one of the tango down grips i ended up with... what is it with the design departments of these companies... :rolleyes:

LOL I never even had the thought that VFG's look like a dildo. :confused:

252actual
02-12-10, 15:44
LOL I never even had the thought that VFG's look like a dildo. :confused:

hehe well you will now, every single time you wrap your hand around that grip hahaha :D

ColdDeadHands
02-12-10, 16:01
well, I'm glad I'm using a AFG :p

252actual
02-12-10, 16:36
well, I'm glad I'm using a AFG :p

hah Touché

Sam
03-31-10, 08:57
Finally got a chance to use the new DD VFG in a class environment. It worked out really well, the short stubby grip provided a good anchor point for my support hand without adding too much weight or getting in the way.

Col_Crocs
03-31-10, 21:33
Sam, did you test it with the sleeve as well?
How was it, compared to the Non-QD TD Stubby in terms of weight savings and ergonomics and possibly stability? -- Both with and without the sleeve...

KentuckyWindage
04-01-10, 00:29
Did Daniel Defense give a ETA on the release date? I am willing to fork out some cash to try it.

Sam
04-01-10, 05:35
Sam, did you test it with the sleeve as well?
How was it, compared to the Non-QD TD Stubby in terms of weight savings and ergonomics and possibly stability? -- Both with and without the sleeve...

I didn't use the sleeve during the class or actual shooting. Without the sleeve, in its short form, the grip is very secure and stable. Comparing it to the full size black Daniel Defense VFG that they included with their M4 carbine, I prefer this new version. I don't have the Tango Down stubby so I can't compare. But from looking at pictures of the TD, the TD looks like it has more parts and wider so it would be slightly heavier.

Robb Jensen
04-01-10, 06:42
These grips are pretty cool.

The exclusive 'Jensen-Ready/VaArmsCo' aka 'Robb/gotm4' spec'd Mk18'ish Daniel Defense 10.3" factory SBRs with have these on them.

Specs:
Daniel Defense upper and lower
Daniel Defense standard charging handle
Daniel Defense M16 bolt carrier group
Magpul triggerguard (black)
A2 pistol grip (black)
Magpul ACS stock (black)
Daniel Defense lower receiver QD end plate
10.3" hammer forged Daniel Defense barrel with A2 flash hider
Daniel Defense pinned low pro gas block
Daniel Defense sights front and rear
Daniel Defense RIS II Mk18 rail (black)
Daniel Defense Convert Grip (new forward grip, black)

subzero
04-28-10, 12:38
Bumping because I just saw these over at AIM and boy am I disappointed in the price.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDD81613&groupid=6

I should have held on to the one Eric handed me at the Invitational class...if I had know it was going to be so much to replace, I wouldn't have given mine away!

Dos Cylindros
04-28-10, 13:44
$83 for that? Glad I got the RVG.

Falkon
04-28-10, 13:51
Bumping because I just saw these over at AIM and boy am I disappointed in the price.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDD81613&groupid=6

I should have held on to the one Eric handed me at the Invitational class...if I had know it was going to be so much to replace, I wouldn't have given mine away!

$84! For realz?!? I love my XVM, but my wifes supped up, gas powered, self-lubricating, with clit attachment, Dildo did'nt even cost that much. :D

Alex V
04-28-10, 15:16
$83 for that? Glad I got the RVG.

amen... for $24 and free shipping I love mine...

Sam
04-28-10, 15:25
It's interesting that AIM has it up on their site before DD. I would like to see if DD's direct price is any better than AIM's. I guess I got lucky to test it out.

252actual
04-28-10, 16:09
maybe its the vibrating version..... just saying :)