PDA

View Full Version : Iraq orders ex-Blackwater contractors out

Iraq Ninja
02-11-10, 15:16
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/02/10/blackwater.iraq/

Interesting development, considering that some BW guys simply changed company T-shirts and stayed in country. Not sure how they can enforce this, but I suspect most companies will not want to risk loosing their MOI license over this.

On a related note, contractors are not allowed to carry smokes or flashbangs anymore. Makes it kinda hard to call in a chopper when you need one, but we will sort it out...

Baghdad, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraq has ordered former employees of the private military contractor once known as Blackwater to leave the country, its interior minister announced Wednesday.

Contractors who once worked for Blackwater, now known as Xe, have seven days to leave Iraq, Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani told the state television network al-Iraqiya. The move follows a January declaration by Iraq's government that former Blackwater employees were no longer welcome in the country.

Blackwater became the target of widespread Iraqi outrage after its contractors were involved in the September 2007 shooting in Baghdad's Nisoor Square that left 17 civilians dead. That outrage was renewed in December, when a U.S. judge dismissed manslaughter charges against five guards involved in the shootings on constitutional grounds.

The company's last contracts in Iraq have been transferred to other companies. But Iraqi authorities say about 250 former Blackwater employees remain behind, some working for other security firms.

"I don't think the Iraqi government is willing to have any Blackwater member, even if they are working in other companies," government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh told CNN in January. "We don't like to see them here working in any company."

Blackwater had about 1,000 contractors working in Iraq at the height of its involvement, guarding diplomatic convoys and supply vehicles around the country after the U.S. invasion in 2003. At least 10 of its employees were killed, including four whose burned and mutilated bodies were dragged through the streets of Fallujah after an ambush in 2004.

Lobo103
02-11-10, 15:54
So much for a card reading "thanks for helping liberate our shithole country".....

GermanSynergy
02-11-10, 18:06
How can the MOI enforce this? Does this mean that anyone previously on a WPPS contract is PNGed from Iraq?

civilian
02-11-10, 21:57
My guess is they are looking for any names that were previously listed as BW employee. A watchlist/no-fly kind of deal.

Iraq Ninja
02-12-10, 12:12
How can the MOI enforce this? Does this mean that anyone previously on a WPPS contract is PNGed from Iraq?

Yes. At least that is what the MOI is saying publicly on Iraqi TV. Oh, and we got to turn in all illegal weapons too. Most of those are long gone anyhow, except with the low tier PMCs.

PMCs now run the risk of loosing their MOI license if the don't obey it. So, they may get rid of former BW folks and more probably not hire anyone with a BW background. You could remove that part of your past, but the problem is if BW was your only experience in Iraq, you won't have much of a CV.

WPPS and State seem to operate under different conditions. Not sure if the MOI even has a list of names. They got mine, because we had to register for those silly weapon cards back around 2005, and last year when we submitted our passports for visas.

We all know how corrupt the MOI and most Iraqi government officials are. The last time this land had any form of respectable government leadership was when Alexander the Great was in charge. Who knows what will happen. They may just be playing it up in the press due to the elections.

Contracting in Iraq is drawing down anyhow. Pay is dropping and there are less jobs these days. We are all waiting for A Stan...

GermanSynergy
02-12-10, 12:30
Thanks Iraq Ninja. I'm convinced the MOI is run by Iran, but that's another story...

Iraq Ninja
02-12-10, 12:37
I agree. Lots of Iranians in Karbala too. I even saw some Iranian PMCs guarding some pilgrims. They were squared away to say the least.