PDA

View Full Version : Long term EBR storage while behind enemy lines?

Thirdeye
02-11-10, 17:26
I may end up doing my post-doctoral work in California. This could take anywhere from 2-4 years. Obviously, EBRs can't go, but I like my guns and want to keep them. Is there such a thing as long term storage units or something for firearms? I do have family that I could leave them with but they're all out of state. Plus, a professional storage place should be more secure and have insurance. Anyone know?

mrbieler
02-11-10, 17:53
You do have some options bring the EBR's to California. Some are banned by name, but if they are not on the list you just need to install a bullet button. Your mags need to be dissembled. You can only use 10 round mags with a bullet button.

The bullet buttons are easily reversible.

What make are the rifles?

jakjakman
02-11-10, 18:28
Read this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

I took my AR15s with me when I had to work in Cali for a year. No problems.

Thirdeye
02-11-10, 19:26
You do have some options bring the EBR's to California. Some are banned by name, but if they are not on the list you just need to install a bullet button. Your mags need to be dissembled. You can only use 10 round mags with a bullet button.

One is an LMT standard 16" carbine. The other two are AKs. One is a Yugo M70 underfolder and the other an Arsenal SGL 21.

Didn't realize I could bring them.

mrbieler
02-11-10, 19:31
I haven't looked at our roster lately so I'm not clear on the AK's but I know your LMT is fine. Just add a bullet button (+/- $35 part) and insert a 10 round mag. Once you have the button and mag, you're rifle can have all the features you want. Just need a 16" barrel length, no suppressors, etc. That bullet button, when you're out of state or return to your home state, easily comes out and you're back to standard configuration with no other changes to your carbine. They have similiar devices for the AK as well, but you'll need to confirm if your particular AK model is OK first.

You can keep all your mags with you, but you'll need to break them down into components. No mags over 10 rounds unless you were a resident and owned them prior to 2000, but the components themselves are not a problem.

Follow the link in jakjakman's post and the guys in CalGuns can give you more information and can answer the questions on your AK's.

Thirdeye
02-11-10, 19:34
I haven't looked at our roster lately so I'm not clear on the AK's but I know your LMT is fine. Just add a bullet button (+/- $35 part) and insert a 10 round mag. Once you have the button and mag, you're rifle can have all the features you want. Just need a 16" barrel length, no suppressors, etc. That bullet button, when you're out of state or return to your home state, easily comes out and you're back to standard configuration with no other changes to your carbine. They have similiar devices for the AK as well, but you'll need to confirm if your particular AK model is OK first.

You can keep all your mags with you, but you'll need to break them down into components. No mags over 10 rounds unless you were a resident and owned them prior to 2000, but the components themselves are not a problem.

Follow the link in jakjakman's post and the guys in CalGuns can give you more information and can answer the questions on your AK's.

Nice man, thank you.

arizonaranchman
02-11-10, 19:42

This is exactly what I was going to tell you also. Check the list to see if by NAME your lower reciever is of a brand that is actually listed on the NO NO list for Calif. If it's not listed by name then all you have to do is install a bullet button (it's $25 and easily changed back in about 1 minute) and go with 10 round magazines while in CA.

If you do have one of the listed/Banned name brands then just get a lower reciever from LMT, BCM, Novesky, etc and put that together for the time you're behind enemy lines.

Leave your "over 10 round" mags with your out of state relatives is your best bet. Or just box them up and shove them in the attic while you're living in CA.

For example Bushmaster and Colt and I believe Armalite are some of the listed Names that are banned. But the trick is that only the Lower Reciever with that name is banned. Any other parts by those companies are fine, so there are ways around their silly laws.

For example if you have a BCM AR15 with bullet button and 10 rd mags you are exempt from all the restrictions that the banned/registered guns are limited by because technically your BCM is not an "assault rifle" because it doesn't have a detachable magazine, therefore eliminating it from all those restrictions the registered guns are subject to. You can transport it in your car/truck as long as it's not loaded, keep it in your home, go to the range or out to the desert, etc and shoot.

Bowser
02-11-10, 19:49
Or just box them up and shove them in the attic while you're living in CA.

That's importation and still a felony.

jakjakman
02-12-10, 15:47

Take them apart, box 'em up, and then put them in the attic. Disassembled, they're just parts. :)

Bowser
02-14-10, 11:17
Take them apart, box 'em up, and then put them in the attic. Disassembled, they're just parts. :)

Yeah, but that's not the other poster said it.

LONGSWORD
02-14-10, 13:10
Just keep in mind that while Calguns can be a good resourse, the amount of jackassery and mall ninjas equals roughly double the amount on arfcom.

Just a heads up.

bkb0000
02-14-10, 13:16
it'd be great if people would get together for mass demonstrations of civil disobedience. 10,000 people with "illegal" weapons would be hard to arrest and prosecute.

problem is, our reactive government would probably declare it an uprising and drop napalm on the rally.

Bimmer
02-14-10, 18:05
I'm in California.

There's already a lot of good info in this thread, and CalGuns is a good source regarding CA laws and the ways around them.

A couple things:

1. The RaddLock is a much better device than the Bullet Button. I have both.

"Or just box them up and shove them in the attic while you're living in CA."

Kind of. It's a "wobbler," and only for three years.

It IS legal to possess hi-cap magazines, it's just illegal to import, manufacture, or sell them, and the statue of limitations is three years.

So, if you have hi-cap mags date-stamped more than three years ago, then it would be basically impossible for anyone to prove that the illegal importation/purchase happened in the last three years.

I'm not advocating breaking the law, but everyone should understand that CA's wackiest gun laws are virtually unenforceable.

It'd be great if people would get together for mass demonstrations of civil disobedience...

Why don't you start? It might not be "mass" disobedience, but what we really need here is somebody to get himself arrested as a "test case" and then appeal so that we can change the law.

In the meantime, this kind of smart-ass comment doesn't help, so quit trolling...

Bimmer

bkb0000
02-14-10, 18:10
I'm in California.

There's already a lot of good info in this thread, and CalGuns is a good source regarding CA laws and the ways around them.

A couple things:

1. The RaddLock is a much better device than the Bullet Button. I have both.

Kind of. It's a "wobbler," and only for three years.

It IS legal to possess hi-cap magazines, it's just illegal to import, manufacture, or sell them, and the statue of limitations is three years.

So, if you have hi-cap mags date-stamped more than three years ago, then it would be basically impossible for anyone to prove that the illegal importation/purchase happened in the last three years.

I'm not advocating breaking the law, but everyone should understand that CA's wackiest gun laws are virtually unenforceable.

Why don't you start? It might not be "mass" disobedience, but what we really need here is somebody to get himself arrested as a "test case" and then appeal so that we can change the law.

In the meantime, this kind of smart-ass comment doesn't help, so quit trolling...

Bimmer

you attributed a quote to me i didn't make, above.. and as far as the troll comment- WTF? blow me.

Bimmer
02-14-10, 18:12
The other two are AKs. One is a Yugo M70 underfolder...
Didn't realize I could bring them.

You can't (at least not legally).

The underfolder is almost certainly too short (I think long guns must 30" minimum). You'll need a fixed stock.

Really, just look at the flow chart on CalGuns regarding "assault weapons."

And don't forget to register your handguns (I'm not kidding).

Bimmer

Bimmer
02-14-10, 18:17
you attributed a quote to me i didn't make, above.. and as far as the troll comment- WTF? blow me.

My mistake on the quote attribution. I got sloppy cutting and pasting the quote offsets. I've now fixed it. My apologies.

Your post didn't contribute to the discussion at all.
Legally owning guns here in California is enough of a PITA without smart ass out-of-staters high-jacking every serious discussion with some absurd suggestion about how we should deal with our government.
That's trolling, and I called you on it.
Asking me to blow you doesn't change it, it just makes you an especially crude troll.

Bimmer

scottryan
02-14-10, 20:53
Plus, a professional storage place should be more secure and have insurance. Anyone know?

Even if your storage facility advertised climate and humidity control, they are not controlled.

Ridge_Runner_5
02-14-10, 22:09
If you are unsure of the legality, the safest thing to do, IMO, is leave them with a trustworthy friend in a free state...

Bimmer
02-14-10, 23:54
If you are unsure of the legality, the safest thing to do, IMO, is leave them with a trustworthy friend in a free state...

Yeah, I'm sure your guns will be safe with Ridge Runner, just send them to him...

Seriously, thousands of Californians have ARs and AKs. Just follow the silly rules and stay out of trouble.

Bimmer

M0rtarMan
02-15-10, 00:41

This is called "intent to assemble an illegal weapon" same crime as an illegal weapon....

mrbieler
02-15-10, 00:54
This is called "intent to assemble an illegal weapon" same crime as an illegal weapon....

That comment was directed to importation of the magazines. It is perfectly legal to bring magazines disassembled into components into California.

mrbieler
02-15-10, 00:56
Just keep in mind that while Calguns can be a good resourse, the amount of jackassery and mall ninjas equals roughly double the amount on arfcom.

Just a heads up.

Yep. Some very good information resources there and some good deals in the exchange area, but general posting leaves a lot to be desired.

Bimmer
02-15-10, 09:54

Wrong.

I'm not a lawyer, but IIRC, "intent to assemble" is only a federal (BATF) issue.

There's no such issue in California law. It's legal to have all the makings of an illegal gun, or in the case of something like the Raddlock, even to have it assembled but disabled, as long as it's not actually assembled and functional.

Bimmer

mrbieler
02-15-10, 10:12
Wrong.

I'm not a lawyer, but IIRC, "intent to assemble" is only a federal (BATF) issue.

There's no such issue in California law. It's legal to have all the makings of an illegal gun, or in the case of something like the Raddlock, even to have it assembled but disabled, as long as it's not actually assembled and functional.

Bimmer

Almost. No sub 16" uppers unless you have a pistol lower, but otherwise you're pretty much on. An upper and a lower in two pieces does not a carbine make. :)

Spiffums
02-15-10, 11:43
If you don't want to take them with you, why can't you just leave them with your parents? Assuming they are alive and not rabid anti-gun people that would be my choice. No one takes care of your stuff like Mom and Pop.

till44
02-15-10, 12:26

Just a heads up.

So true, but never the less, it's one of the only sites where you can find all the information you need to keep an AR or AK within the law in CA. I'm one of the lucky few in CA that doesn't have to worry about the AW laws, but even then I am counting down til I can get out of this state.

Check out calguns.net and the AW flowcharts. You can bring yoour AR and AKs as long as they're assembled coorectly and are not one of the few named brands.

Bimmer
02-15-10, 12:46
I'm one of the lucky few in CA that doesn't have to worry about the AW laws, but even then I am counting down til I can get out of this state.

You should explain this cryptic statement. AFAIK nobody is exempt from the AW laws in California (unless he doesn't own any semi-automatic guns).

Of course the millitary does its own thing with its own guns. Law enforcement personnel can register AWs as duty weapons, but that also involves paperwork and hassle (in accordance with the law). However, personal guns are NOT exempt for anybody, not even military or law enforcement.

The former police chief of the next town over is now in prison for firearms violations committed while he was police chief. I don't make this stuff up.

Bimmer

till44
02-15-10, 14:04
You should explain this cryptic statement. AFAIK nobody is exempt from the AW laws in California (unless he doesn't own any semi-automatic guns).

Of course the millitary does its own thing with its own guns. Law enforcement personnel can register AWs as duty weapons, but that also involves paperwork and hassle (in accordance with the law). However, personal guns are NOT exempt for anybody, not even military or law enforcement.

The former police chief of the next town over is now in prison for firearms violations committed while he was police chief. I don't make this stuff up.

Bimmer

If you reg'd your AWs prior to the 2000 CA AW ban you can legally possess those firearms with no problems. Those AWs are grandfathered in as legal weapons, but they cannot be sold or transferred to other owners in CA.

You're slightly misinformed concerning LEOs keeping AWs as personal weapons and the hassle that accompanies it. The exemption was written to assist LEOs that did not register their AWs prior to the 2000 AW ban of CA. Many LEOs did not think they needed to register them because they were LEO, the trouble began when some of them began retiring and they were unsure of what to do with their now illegal AW. The legislature stepped in and made a go around for the law.

My dept. does not use patrol rifles, we currenly run Benellis with slugs, yet I have several AWs registered to me with CA DOJ. They are also relatively easy to get if you have an understanding chief. All that is needed is a letter from the chief giving the OK to own an AW. You proceed to an AW dealer, purchase the gun there or have an out of state FFL ship in whatever AW you want and provide them with the letter from your chief. The AW dealer provides you with a form to forward to DOJ. This form entail things like serial number, model, caliber, barrel length, and make.

After a few months of waiting, the DOJ returns a letter stating that, "such and such individual" has legal authority to possess the following guns (listed by serial number only, you can swap out barrels and other parts if you want to change the configuration or caliber).

There are several laws that must be followed when one possess a Reg'd AW that are not required with normal rifles. You must inform DOJ when you change addresses, it must be transported in a locked case, and you can't lend it to anyone in any configuration.

The AW is registered to the person and not the department. So when you change departments, retire, or start another career the AW is yours to keep. The DOJ treats the recently reg'd AW as if it had been reg'd prior to the 2000 AW ban.

Bimmer
02-15-10, 14:23
... Many LEOs did not think they needed to register them because they were LEO, the trouble began when some of them began retiring and they were unsure of what to do with their now illegal AW. The legislature stepped in and made a go around for the law.

... I have several AWs registered to me with CA DOJ. They are also relatively easy to get if you have an understanding chief. All that is needed is a letter from the chief giving the OK to own an AW. You proceed to an AW dealer, purchase the gun there or have an out of state FFL ship in whatever AW you want and provide them with the letter from your chief. The AW dealer provides you with a form to forward to DOJ. This form entail things like serial number, model, caliber, barrel length, and make.

After a few months of waiting, the DOJ returns a letter stating that, "such and such individual" has legal authority to possess the following guns (listed by serial number only, you can swap out barrels and other parts if you want to change the configuration or caliber).

There are several laws that must be followed when one possess a Reg'd AW that are not required with normal rifles. You must inform DOJ when you change addresses, it must be transported in a locked case, and you can't lend it to anyone in any configuration.

The AW is registered to the person and not the department. So when you change departments, retire, or start another career the AW is yours to keep. The DOJ treats the recently reg'd AW as if it had been reg'd prior to the 2000 AW ban.

Thank you for the clarification.

This is exactly what I meant. You said that you "don't have to worry about the AW laws," but this makes it really clear that in CA even LEOs have to jump through a lot of hoops because of the AW ban...

FWIW, the "understanding chief" isn't a given, from what I've read over on CalGuns.

Maybe you don't call it "worrying" about it, but you're clearly impacted by (and carefully following) the law.

Bimmer

till44
02-15-10, 14:45
Thank you for the clarification.

This is exactly what I meant. You said that you "don't have to worry about the AW laws," but this makes it really clear that in CA even LEOs have to jump through a lot of hoops because of the AW ban...

FWIW, the "understanding chief" isn't a given, from what I've read over on CalGuns.

Maybe you don't call it "worrying" about it, but you're clearly impacted by (and carefully following) the law.

Bimmer

Given what the majority of people in CA have to do to just get a gun in general (10 day wait, HSC) I wouldn't consider the AW paperwork a hassle. Just a quick memo to the chief and the letter is in your mailbox later in the week. Pick your gun up the day you buy it and mail in a quick form. I'd say it was easier getting my AWs then it was buying a normal gun before being LEO.

Personal experience for me is that Chief's are not very selective concerning who gets an AW pass. Patrol rifles are quickly becoming everyday gear for the average cop on the street and any command staff is happy if someone is willing to get additional familiarity/training with a tool they may use in the field. I am currently unaware of any local agencies that will not allow LEOs to personally own AWs. All of my current friends and aquaintances at other departments all have them.

I "worry" about the AW laws no more than everyone else obeys and pays heed to standard gun laws. I enjoy my rights and want to keep them.