PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles; Honda 919

jhs1969
02-11-10, 21:15
I found a Honda 919 with 5k miles, '03 model. Anyone have any thoughts on these? It would serve as a work ride for a while with a possible/probable trip to Texas (1100+ miles). Price was $3895. Good choice? Any problems with the fuel injection? I've only had carburated bikes before.

10MMGary
02-11-10, 21:53
Not sure how well this applies to your perspective model, but might be worth a read.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0204_honda_919/index.html

jhs1969
02-11-10, 23:43
That was good reading. Thanks.

catatonic
02-12-10, 00:26
Hit up easttnriders.com for some local insight. I haven't heard anything negative about the 919s though, they're pretty tame from what I hear.

D.O.B.A
02-12-10, 07:27
"Tame" is not a completely accurate description of a 919, this bike is basically a naked version of the CBR900RR and while it can be quite docile if babied, if you get hamfisted with the throttle, it will bite you in the ass! I have a buddy who has one, only Modifications from stock, are a Powercommander and Slip-on exhaust and it Hauls Ass!

Kalash
02-12-10, 07:59
Not a beginners bike.

jhs1969
02-12-10, 11:22
It has been over 10 years since my last bike. I don't consider myself a beginner but defintely well rusted. If fact my last bike I bought new in 93-94, it was a CBR900RR. I modified it with a header back exhaust, spark advance and jet kit. It was quite radical, at that time I believe it was one of the hotest bikes available. So I feel a little drawn to the 919, I can't comfortablely tuck into the riding position of a sport bike any more, therefore the 919 has many attractions for me. We are considering either another vehicle or the motorcycle. I'm not totally sure which one we will get but I am leaning toward the bike (my wife hates them and is scared do death of them). It will be used as a commuter bike for a while, so I'll have to get some more cold weather gear. For the price I mentioned, I'm not sure a vehicle will be as reliable as the bike with that low of milage. Decisions, decisions:confused:

tommygunn47
02-12-10, 11:40
IMO a carb'd SV650 is what you need. Just make sure it's not a track bike conversion.

catatonic
02-12-10, 14:07
Its tame compared to a 1000RR or a 929 for sure... Honda made it more street friendly.

Joe R.
02-12-10, 18:54
It's a good solid bike. With a riding history you should have no problem adapting to it. They can be made into a fairly high performance machine with a bit of mod work.

EzGoingKev
02-13-10, 08:40
Its the same base engine as the 900RR but should have smaller cams, less radical ignition curve, lower compression, and smaller throttle bodies for low end/midrange. I did a lot of 900RR work back when they were out so you can definitely hop them up if looking for more power.

Personally I would ride it and work the suspension before I did anything.

Macx
02-13-10, 09:28
I have a 1996 CBR 900RR, same engine as the 919. I bought it in 1998 with 6500 mi on it. I took the guage pod off for a different speedo a little over 80k mi, when I streetfighter-ized the bike. Just based on multi-state treks, where I calculated the distance we have more than 120,000 mi together, not including short distance hops and buzzing around town. in 2003 or so it dynoed 117hp at the rear wheel. The engine is still strong, not using oil abnormally & trouble free.

Just speaking about the engine in the 919, it is outstanding and reliable, far from the fastest thing on the planet. . . but capable of running & running despite . . . well, you name it. I have ridden in the snow I have ridden in 10 below, I have ridden in the dirt and fallen so it hurt, on the track and loaded with grocery sacks . . . the bike has never let me down.

jhs1969
02-13-10, 09:57
I have a 1996 CBR 900RR, same engine as the 919. I bought it in 1998 with 6500 mi on it. I took the guage pod off for a different speedo a little over 80k mi, when I streetfighter-ized the bike. Just based on multi-state treks, where I calculated the distance we have more than 120,000 mi together, not including short distance hops and buzzing around town. in 2003 or so it dynoed 117hp at the rear wheel. The engine is still strong, not using oil abnormally & trouble free.

Just speaking about the engine in the 919, it is outstanding and reliable, far from the fastest thing on the planet. . . but capable of running & running despite . . . well, you name it. I have ridden in the snow I have ridden in 10 below, I have ridden in the dirt and fallen so it hurt, on the track and loaded with grocery sacks . . . the bike has never let me down.

That is awesome, you can't expect any more from a bike. This is why I fell in love with Honda's back in the mid to late 80's. What kind of maintence/repairs did you have to make through all that time? Valve adjustments? Intervals? I would be grateful for any tips or hints to keep it going strong. What oil do you prefer?

Macx
02-13-10, 11:37
At 45K I opened things up to do the valve adjustment and it was so in spec that doing anything would likely do more harm than good . . . closed it back up and have been running it that way ever since. Oil, tires, chains, sprockets (I am down a tooth up front and tried a narrower sprocket for a while), fuses & bulbs have needed to be replaced but it has had zero mechanical issues & just the one time checking the valves and closing it back up.

I have not been a particularly careful owner, especially in these past couple of years where I have been kind of "Well, I'll ride the thing to death this season, scrap it and buy another bike" but it keeps on running . .. it just won't die. I suffered a clutch hand injury relatively recently and can't manage the riding position very well so this last season is probably its last . . . but not because the bike actually died. I have been thinking about donating it to a tech school so they can do mechanics class projects with it. I don't want to sell it, but come spring I am not going to be able to ride it enough to justify renewwing my tabs. Prior to all that I usually went 1500 or 2k miles beyond what is suggested for oil changes, usually ran semi-synthetic oil, ran my sprockets till they were nearly missing whole teeth, tended to run either Metzeler or Pirelli tires usually with a "softer" front and "harder" compound rear. The bike has been a lot better to me than I have to it . . . but that is largely a personal life thing. My ex-wife was my best riding buddy (she rides an FZ1) and I kinda let things go in the bike dept after the divorce.

It started life looking like the stock photo on the left & now looks like the one on the right:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/Macx919/Asitwasandasitis.jpg

I hope my next bike is at least half the bike this one has been. I'm looking at the Triumph Tiger/ BMW GS class bikes for my next . . . whatever it is, it is going to have to have a hydraulic clutch and taller bars. My clutch hand is likely as much better as it is ever going to get.

Oh, I should add. It was ridden not trailered to Sturgis in 2000. Has gone back and forth between PA and MN a few times PA to the New England, and of course a couple times down to Deal's Gap. May be at the end of its service life, but it has been an outstanding ride.

Ash Hess
02-13-10, 13:37
I love my '06 919. I changed the bars but bike does everything you ask it to do. It has tons of torque, but is very compliant to your wishes. It handles well for its intended purpose.
It is for urban riding. Not as fast on the twistys as the sport bikes, but your riding position allows you to get off the bike after a tank of gas and not have to see a chiropractor. Mine has Renthal dirt bars on it.

Mine has been stored for over a year do to a trip overseas. Soon the weather will allow me to get it back on the road. once i get it cleaned up i will get some pics up

Also have had no problems with injection, and road trips are only limited to lack of storage. The saddle is comfortable for all day riding, even 2 up.

jhs1969
02-13-10, 13:57
Thanks for the replies guys. Deal's Gap, now that is in my back yard. Used to burn it up through there when I had my 900RR. Lord am I glad I'm older now, I don't know how I survived that era:eek:

I've tried searching for soft luggage but have not found anything I was confindent in. The exhausts are so high and tucked I'm not sure what to do for luggage. I've thought about something like a soft "trunk", a tank bag and a back pack. If I do get this 919 I may possibly take it to Texas in a couple of months, 1200+ miles, about 18 hrs ride time. Any suggestions?

I used to use Motul in my 900RR but I don't remember the weight, change intervals or any of the maintence schedules. I don't know if the manual is with the bike or not. Can I get another manual through Honda?

Ash Hess
02-13-10, 14:11
I believe the manual is available thru Honda. I would not hesitate to do your trip on the 919. I ride with sport bike guys and they are always crying about the seat and clipon's at 200 miles. I am still good to go.
Added bonus with those guys is a 600 cant pull away from you like they think they can.