PDA

View Full Version : Fresh build, Need ideas

pilotguyo540
02-11-10, 22:32
Good morning Gentlemen (and ladies?)

I am starting my new build from scratch. After 2 weeks of looking over options and ideas I became catatonic and am just drooling on myself in the corner. I just bought a RRA lower. Bad idea or good idea? Too late now, moving forward. This would be a compliment to my American Spirit arms 16" M4.

Mission requirements:
Home defense
killing coyotes
killing paper
killing more coyotes
deer hunting?
Zombie and ninja repellant

I am really leaning towards a 6.8mm RECCE'ish upper. Cosmetics don't matter near as much as function. I have not the time nor money to buy everything then try it and see what I like. I want your recommendations for everything but the lower (stripped). I can do it right the first time, but if I go cheap now, It will likely stay that way. Wife's don't get it.:rolleyes:

I have also thought about building 2 uppers for one lower (5.56 & 6.8), but I am not convinced this is a great idea.

Thanks for any help and motivation you can provide!

Cheers,
Pilotguyo540

buckshot1220
02-11-10, 23:26
Not to increase your current DPH (drool per hour), but if I were to get away from 5.56 in the AR platform I'd be going with the 6.5Grendel from Alexander Arms. Just food for drool...I mean thought.

jvencius
02-12-10, 10:38
POKE HERE (http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=43&category_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=134) for what's probably the cat's ass of Recce uppers. I'm really torn between that model and Monty's Mk.12 for my next upper but either way, he'll be getting a wheelbarrow of bucks from me.

GermanSynergy
02-12-10, 11:32
If you're set on a 6.8, what is your price point?

DTHN2LGS
02-12-10, 12:56
Look at the Noveske uppers for a 6.8 SPC.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=58

pilotguyo540
02-13-10, 04:40
If you're set on a 6.8, what is your price point?

I don't really have a set price point. I am just looking to build a top tier battle ready rifle that will serve me well. Resale is not my intent, so I don't really care what it takes, as I have no return on investment considerations.
I am not sold on the piston systems yet. More moving parts means more potential foe parts failure. The noveske uppers look good, but expensive. Bison uppers came highly regarded by 68forums.net and the complete upper w/ bcg, ch, etc. Would be about 750 bucks. I don't know if they past the muster here but I would love to hear opinions on them.

Triggers are an area of inexperience for me as well. I doubt a national match 2 stage would be appropriate, but maybe a tactical 2 stage would be good??? I don't really have a good operational base knowledge for comparison.

The 6.5mm I have considered too, but it does noot seem to be getting the industry support of the 6.8mm. Everyone seems to be polarized on this issue favoring one or the other for the same reasons it seems. I am not yet into reloading so the ammo availability of the 6.8 plays into my preference. Again my options are open, hence the excessive drool factor.

Again, cheers

buckshot1220
02-13-10, 09:06
I don't really have a set price point. I am just looking to build a top tier battle ready rifle that will serve me well. Resale is not my intent, so I don't really care what it takes, as I have no return on investment considerations.
I am not sold on the piston systems yet. More moving parts means more potential foe parts failure. The noveske uppers look good, but expensive. Bison uppers came highly regarded by 68forums.net and the complete upper w/ bcg, ch, etc. Would be about 750 bucks. I don't know if they past the muster here but I would love to hear opinions on them.

Triggers are an area of inexperience for me as well. I doubt a national match 2 stage would be appropriate, but maybe a tactical 2 stage would be good??? I don't really have a good operational base knowledge for comparison.

The 6.5mm I have considered too, but it does not seem to be getting the industry support of the 6.8mm. Everyone seems to be polarized on this issue favoring one or the other for the same reasons it seems. I am not yet into reloading so the ammo availability of the 6.8 plays into my preference. Again my options are open, hence the excessive drool factor.

Again, cheers

You are correct. I should have mentioned some of this in my above post. The polarization I think comes from the fact that the two cartridges fill very different roles. In my eyes, the 6.8 is an improved battle cartridge meant to deliver more energy on target than the standard 5.56 @ CQB to medium range distances. The 6.5 on the other hand is geared more toward medium range and long distance shooting evidenced by it's trajectory and the fact that AA is always comparing it to the 7.62. Either cartridge is an excellent choice.

GermanSynergy
02-13-10, 10:53

The 6.5mm I have considered too, but it does noot seem to be getting the industry support of the 6.8mm. Everyone seems to be polarized on this issue favoring one or the other for the same reasons it seems. I am not yet into reloading so the ammo availability of the 6.8 plays into my preference. Again my options are open, hence the excessive drool factor.

Again, cheers

If price is no consideration, I recommend contacting MSTN. The uppers he has built for me are without rival in terms of fit/finish, accuracy and reliability.

Triggers I would suggest a Geiselle SSA or DMR trigger. The SSA is more of an improved service type trigger, and the DMR is a superb trigger for an SPR setup.

Have you thought about an optic? I suggest a Nightforce 1-4x24 on a LaRue SPR mount or the NF 2.5-10x32 with Zero Stop, Milrad turrets/ MilDot Reticle. I've got one and I'm waiting on my MK 18 upper to arrive to put it on there :D

Either of the aforementioned optics will lend your platform versatility and , if you do your part, accuracy as well.