PDA

View Full Version : So I'm about to enlist...

rickrock305
02-12-10, 10:12
Talked to the recruiter yesterday about signing up. I'm going to do the Navy because I want to do the SEAL program. I've been training my ass off for some time now and I've done as much research as anyone can do and its definitely what I want more than anything. But I have to pick another job in case I don't make it. Basically, I qualify for any job in the Navy. I was recommended the advanced electronics or nuclear programs by the recruiter. So do you guys have any recommendations?

THE FROG
02-12-10, 10:31
Look into Navy EOD.

M4arc
02-12-10, 10:36
I think we need a little more information on you first. Things like age, fitness level, education level, interest (hobbies and professional), any prior military or ROTC experience, etc.

That might help us understand who you are so that we can leverage what we know about the Navy and careers or else we'll just be chucking suggestions out there in the hope that one sounds remotely interesting to you.

Business_Casual
02-12-10, 10:44
If you follow the national trend, you will have a minimum of three careers in your life. Even doctors and lawyers are tending to leave their fields and go in new directions these days.

Point being that you shouldn't worry if your first career isn't a "life-time" career, or has no application outside the service. You can always retrain, go to college, etc.

M_P

awm14hp
02-12-10, 10:44
Get everything in writing.

tracker722
02-12-10, 11:13

rickrock305
02-12-10, 11:21
I think we need a little more information on you first. Things like age, fitness level, education level, interest (hobbies and professional), any prior military or ROTC experience, etc.

That might help us understand who you are so that we can leverage what we know about the Navy and careers or else we'll just be chucking suggestions out there in the hope that one sounds remotely interesting to you.

I'm 28 years old (yea, i know I'm cutting it close on the age cutoff, its now or never)

I'm in pretty good shape, I can pass the SEAL PST requirements without much trouble. I do need to work on my running though.

I have an Associates Degree in Recording Arts. Its pretty much a bullshit degree.

Interests...Guns, shooting, working out, reading, working on and listening to music, electronics, current events and whats going on in the world, swimming, snowboarding, surfing, basically any outdoors activities.

No prior military or ROTC experience. Only thing remotely close for me is being an Eagle Scout.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 11:26
If you follow the national trend, you will have a minimum of three careers in your life. Even doctors and lawyers are tending to leave their fields and go in new directions these days.

Point being that you shouldn't worry if your first career isn't a "life-time" career, or has no application outside the service. You can always retrain, go to college, etc.

M_P

well this would be my second career. I've gone to college for and currently work in the music business as a recording/mixing engineer. Basically I'm the guy who runs the big mixing boards and makes people who can't sing sound like they can. But the music business is chock full of shady people and very unstable. I would like a more stable career option to provide for my family.

Irish
02-12-10, 11:34
I would like a more stable career option to provide for my family.

Are you sure the Navy's what you're looking for at this stage in your life? I would definitely discuss at length being gone a lot for extended periods of time with your wife & kids. I'm not trying to discourage you, we need all the Sailors & SEALS we can get, but it is a difficult transition to make with an existing non-military family. Good luck with your decision.

Bill Bryant
02-12-10, 11:36
Talked to the recruiter yesterday about signing up. I'm going to do the Navy because I want to do the SEAL program. I've been training my ass off for some time now and I've done as much research as anyone can do and its definitely what I want more than anything. But I have to pick another job in case I don't make it. Basically, I qualify for any job in the Navy. I was recommended the advanced electronics or nuclear programs by the recruiter. So do you guys have any recommendations?My brother-in-law was a nuclear engineer on a submarine. He leveraged this into a job as superintendent of a nuclear power plant after he left the navy. I would hate life on a sub and life in the control room of a nuclear reactor. He thrived in both settings. Go for what attracts you and you could serve well at.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 11:41
Are you sure the Navy's what you're looking for at this stage in your life? I would definitely discuss at length being gone a lot for extended periods of time with your wife & kids. I'm not trying to discourage you, we need all the Sailors & SEALS we can get, but it is a difficult transition to make with an existing non-military family. Good luck with your decision.

Its definitely what I want for my life. My fiancee and kids are what has kept me from making the decision thus far. But I think the financial stability and future that the military will provide will outweigh the negatives. The career I am in right now is more unfriendly to family life than the military. Yes its going to be a difficult transition, and my fiancee and I have discussed it in length. But after we both sat down with the recruiter she feels a lot better about the decision.

I'm also very clear on what would be required of me as a SEAL and am prepared to make that sacrifice.

chg380
02-12-10, 11:43
Pretty good shape is not going to cut it. Seal fitness is top tier, you need to be able to run 7 minute miles, you need to be to swim well, your cardio had better be top notch as well. I thought I was in good shape when I went into the Navy when I was 18, they will find any weakness that you have, be it physical or mental. The reason for having to pick alternate jobs is because of the washout rate. You have to qualify for seal testing in basic so that if you don't make it you don't loose any time. I wish you the best of of luck. I also agree with what the others have said and yes get everything in writing. A promise doesn't mean anything. As recruiter's have been known to stretch the truth at times.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 11:44
My brother-in-law was a nuclear engineer on a submarine. He leveraged this into a job as superintendent of a nuclear power plant after he left the navy. I would hate life on a sub and life in the control room of a nuclear reactor. He thrived in both settings. Go for what attracts you and you could serve well at.

Yea, to be honest i would really prefer to not be stuck on a sub my entire career.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 11:51
Pretty good shape is not going to cut it. Seal fitness is top tier, you need to be able to run 7 minute miles, you need to be to swim well, your cardio had better be top notch as well. I thought I was in good shape when I went into the Navy when I was 18, they will find any weakness that you have, be it physical or mental. The reason for having to pick alternate jobs is because of the washout rate. You have to qualify for seal testing in basic so that if you don't make it you don't loose any time. I wish you the best of of luck. I also agree with what the others have said and yes get everything in writing. A promise doesn't mean anything. As recruiter's have been known to stretch the truth at times.

Yep, I'm well aware of the fitness standard necessary. IMO I could always be in better shape, I don't feel as though I'll ever be 100% ready to take on the challenge because no matter how fit I am, they're going to push me past my limit. But its what I want more than anything. I want to be pushed beyond my limits. I want to be put through the ringer because thats what it requires and I will become a better person for it.

I train for hours a day, following the NSW Physical Fitness guide and also incorporate Stew Smith's programs for some variety. I have read every book on SEALs i can get my hands on, watched every video I could, and talked to everyone I could find with any experience in the NSW life. I believe I am mentally prepared and well on my way to being physically prepared as well. I'm absolutely looking forward to the challenge of getting my ass pounded into the sand and really testing my limits.

theblackknight
02-12-10, 11:52
I dont know about Navy, but USMC gives instant e2 for Eagle Scout or 18 credit hours of college, which you have.

Whatever job you get, just remember we're all janitors 1st and foremost. Tip of the spear? No! Bristles on the broom!

Irish
02-12-10, 11:53
Its definitely what I want for my life. My fiancee and kids are what has kept me from making the decision thus far. But I think the financial stability and future that the military will provide will outweigh the negatives. The career I am in right now is more unfriendly to family life than the military. Yes its going to be a difficult transition, and my fiancee and I have discussed it in length. But after we both sat down with the recruiter she feels a lot better about the decision.

I'm also very clear on what would be required of me as a SEAL and am prepared to make that sacrifice.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I was in the Navy for 4 years and am proud of my service, but I don't think the music recording business is as detrimental to a relationship as possibly being gone for a year at a time. I wish you all the best.

Don't listen to recruiters, they're all used car salesmen and liars, and make sure you get everything in writing or it doesn't mean shit.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 11:55
I dont know about Navy, but USMC gives instant e2 for Eagle Scout or 18 credit hours of college, which you have.

Whatever job you get, just remember we're all janitors 1st and foremost. Tip of the spear? No! Bristles on the broom!

The recruiter said with my Associates degree I would go in either E2 or E3 depending on my college credits.

Irish
02-12-10, 11:58

Another thought in relation to this. You can be an E-3 coming out of boot in the Navy. Tell your recruiter in order for you to enlist that you'll need to be an E-3 coming out of Great Lakes. He can make this happen and will typically tell you if you can get 2 people to sign up he can bump you up a paygrade. Recruiters have quotas, or did, and you're helping his career by enlisting so he should be helping yours as well, negotiations are key ;)

rickrock305
02-12-10, 12:03
I'm not trying to discourage you, I was in the Navy for 4 years and am proud of my service, but I don't think the music recording business is as detrimental to a relationship as possibly being gone for a year at a time. I wish you all the best.

No offense, but you must not have much experience with the music business. Its an awful way to make a living. Clients don't pay, or pay months later, always having to hustle for your next gig, nothing is guaranteed, and I'm away from my family quite a bit either traveling or working 16 hour days, zero benefits or insurance, zero stability. Have to leave for work on a moments notice.

I think at least if I'm away from my family so much I could at least provide them with financial stability and future security that the military would provide. And the benefits are an added plus.

Don't listen to recruiters, they're all used car salesmen and liars, and make sure you get everything in writing or it doesn't mean shit.

Oh I know! I've spoken to a few recruiters and got different answers from all of them. I've also been reading a lot of NavySEALs.com which is a wealth of accurate knowledge.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 12:04
Another thought in relation to this. You can be an E-3 coming out of boot in the Navy. Tell your recruiter in order for you to enlist that you'll need to be an E-3 coming out of Great Lakes. He can make this happen and will typically tell you if you can get 2 people to sign up he can bump you up a paygrade. Recruiters have quotas, or did, and you're helping his career by enlisting so he should be helping yours as well, negotiations are key ;)

thanks, great tip!

Frank Castle
02-12-10, 12:09
I see some things haven't changed- the recruiters are always pushing the electronics and nuclear programs because they are the hardest for them to fill from their applicants based on testing scores. In my day, these fields had a minimum enlistment of 6yrs and the ratings were not often accepted into diving/EOD/Specwar. I'm with Frog- I would put EOD and Diver as alternates. I would also include GM and BM as ratings for SWCC. Good Luck.

M4arc
02-12-10, 12:23
Honestly, if I had to do it all over again I would go into an intel job like a CT. Get into CT school, work & study hard, get your clearance and you'll have a lot of opportunities.

Or go into aviation. Take an electronics or airframe job, try and go to flight school and be an helo crew member. That's some fun shit right there.

Rescue swimmer is another great job but very tough to get into and complete.

There's a ton of great jobs but far more shit jobs. Be very careful and plan wisely.

westcoastfrog
02-12-10, 12:26
- Get everything in writing
- The chances of you being a nuke and going to BUD/S....ZERO TO ZERO POINT FIVE
- If you want to do it, stop talking about it and do it
- Mouth shut eyes and ears open...head on a swivel (forget what you THINK you know and listen to what more experienced guys are telling you)
- You think you know what family life is going to be like....but you don't (esp with no prior military experience)
- The military is a secure place to be but it ain't gonna make you rich
- DO NOT be one of these clowns that goes to BUD/S and twitters or face books about it!
- If you have thin skin...don't even try
- IF YOU ARE NOT CHOMPING AT THE BIT FOR A CHANCE TO GO DOWN RANGE AND DO GOD'S WORK....WE DON'T WANT YOU.

GOOD LUCK!

theblackknight
02-12-10, 12:36
No offense, but you must not have much experience with the music business. Its an awful way to make a living. Clients don't pay, or pay months later, always having to hustle for your next gig, nothing is guaranteed, and I'm away from my family quite a bit either traveling or working 16 hour days, zero benefits or insurance, zero stability. Have to leave for work on a moments notice.

I think at least if I'm away from my family so much I could at least provide them with financial stability and future security that the military would provide. And the benefits are an added plus.

I was in the same boat (ha!) 2 years ago. He speaks the truth. If youd really like to know how much money career musicians DONT make, read this>http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=music+business+book&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1661227811645849617&ei=np11S4ukJdKXtgf8iuWVCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBsQ8wIwBA#ps-sellers

rickrock305
02-12-10, 12:44
Honestly, if I had to do it all over again I would go into an intel job like a CT. Get into CT school, work & study hard, get your clearance and you'll have a lot of opportunities.

Or go into aviation. Take an electronics or airframe job, try and go to flight school and be an helo crew member. That's some fun shit right there.

Rescue swimmer is another great job but very tough to get into and complete.

There's a ton of great jobs but far more shit jobs. Be very careful and plan wisely.

I really like the sound of the AE rating (Aviation Tech). And Cryptologic Tech (CTN) is another one I had highlighted. Thanks for the suggestions.

Belmont31R
02-12-10, 12:44
A technical job with a clearance (higher the better) is the best for getting a good job when you get out unless you want something like an LE career where its mostly just getting an Honorable discharge than what job you had.

Also need to understand very few people with special ops jobs in mind before they ever serve a day ever get there. Its a great recruiting tool to tell people they are going to be such and such high speed commando to get them to enlist, and less than 10% ever do it. I actually think its closer to 3% for the 18X program in the Army.

I don't know what your recruiter told you but with the OPTEMPO the mil is at right now many people are spending less than a 1/3rd of their time at home base. There are deployments, training to go do, long days at work, etc. You and your spouse have to understand and accept this. Lots of divorces and cheating spouses in the military for this reason. Jody loves a lonely wife, and Joe likes to marry bar whores. Not saying anything about your situation at home but its a fact of life for many. The divorce rate in units like the SEALs is even higher.

westcoastfrog
02-12-10, 12:52
one more thing to keep in mind. all of our training is not the sexy hollywood stuff. Being a team guy is not just about guns and shooting (though it is one my most favorite parts). As with any job there is routine BS to deal with.

John_Wayne777
02-12-10, 12:52

He knows what he is talking about. Being stuck on a cruise for 6 months at a time is not a picnic for you or for the family back home...and that's IF your cruise doesn't get extended because of something like Hati or 9/11 or whatever else happens on the planet. Having to pick up and move at a moment's notice because you got new orders is no picnic for you or the family.

...and that's just being a regular ol' Navy guy.

If you want to be a SEAL you are asking for a life that is vastly more difficult than you realize. It means long deployments away from home. It means being stuck in the middle of asscrackistan on short notice and maybe with insufficient supplies/support because that's where you are needed. You are asking for a life that grinds men (and their families) into powder. That's why everybody isn't cut out to wear the Trident.

The difficulties of the music business are NOTHING compared to the difficulties of having loved ones wonder where the hell you are and whether or not you are still alive. Being a SEAL, generally speaking, isn't terribly conducive to a good family life. Sure, there are guys who have pulled it off...but understand that you aren't just signing up to be a SEAL...you are signing your family up for the lifestyle that requires.

And that's IF you make it into a small unit that sends the majority of people who try out for it away.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 12:55
- The chances of you being a nuke and going to BUD/S....ZERO TO ZERO POINT FIVE

what about the CTN or, AV, or AECF ratings? any word on the chances there?

- If you want to do it, stop talking about it and do it
- Mouth shut eyes and ears open...head on a swivel (forget what you THINK you know and listen to what more experienced guys are telling you)

absolutely on point one. its that time.

on point two, thats never been a problem for me. i'm a mouth shut kinda guy. i know some here will think opposite though :D

- You think you know what family life is going to be like....but you don't (esp with no prior military experience)

point taken. all I'm going on is what i've gleaned from other military forums. and experiences vary widely. some say its strengthened relationships, others say its torn them apart. do you have any further info you could personally provide?

- The military is a secure place to be but it ain't gonna make you rich

i don't need to be rich. i do need to feel like i'm doing something important and worthwhile.

- DO NOT be one of these clowns that goes to BUD/S and twitters or face books about it!

from what i hear, i think facebook and twitter are going to be the last things on my mind.

- If you have thin skin...don't even try

definitely not.

- IF YOU ARE NOT CHOMPING AT THE BIT FOR A CHANCE TO GO DOWN RANGE AND DO GOD'S WORK....WE DON'T WANT YOU.

I am, without a doubt. I want to serve with the best. I want to be the best. And I'm dedicated and willing to make the sacrifices needed to do so.

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you very much.

one more thing to keep in mind. all of our training is not the sexy hollywood stuff. Being a team guy is not just about guns and shooting (though it is one my most favorite parts). As with any job there is routine BS to deal with.

I am aware of that. I want the whole ball of wax, not just the fun stuff

Erik 1
02-12-10, 13:02
He knows what he is talking about. Being stuck on a cruise for 6 months at a time is not a picnic for you or for the family back home...and that's IF your cruise doesn't get extended because of something like Hati or 9/11 or whatever else happens on the planet. Having to pick up and move at a moment's notice because you got new orders is no picnic for you or the family.

Having had both of those experiences back in the day, all I can say is, "Ain't that the truth." When your fiance thinks you'll be home on Friday and you don't show up because you got deployed on an emergency basis and you couldn't tell her, that flat sucks. I'm old enough, and the Navy was long enough ago, that we didn't have email or cell phones either. The military will stress a relationship like nothing else. That's not to tell you not to do it. Just go in with your eyes wide open.

mikejg
02-12-10, 13:04
If the SEAL thing doesn't work out, or you find it's not for you or the family, you should consider the Coast Guard.

Same .mil benefits without the year-long deployments/cruises.

The Coast Guard also just made a new ME (Maritime Law Enforcement) rate that may satisfy one of your aforementioned interests.

I am in no way comparing what the CG does to the Navy SEALs, but it is one avenue you could consider. Good Luck!

Irish
02-12-10, 13:05

What do you mean regular ol' Navy guy?!?! I was an AMS damnit, and far from regular :D Here's an old picture I dug up right before the USS Cole got bombed. The reason we're holding beers on the flight deck is we hadn't seen land in over 50 days and you're allocated 2 beers a piece at that point in time. After the Cole was hit the Lincoln stayed in the Gulf for 9 months, compared to the typical 3 months. That was a loooooooooooong deployment.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3196/mvc012f.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/i/mvc012f.jpg/)

rickrock305
02-12-10, 13:06
Also need to understand very few people with special ops jobs in mind before they ever serve a day ever get there. Its a great recruiting tool to tell people they are going to be such and such high speed commando to get them to enlist, and less than 10% ever do it. I actually think its closer to 3% for the 18X program in the Army.

Yep, I'm well aware of that. I did plenty of research before talking to the recruiter so I didn't get sold a lot of BS.

I don't know what your recruiter told you but with the OPTEMPO the mil is at right now many people are spending less than a 1/3rd of their time at home base. There are deployments, training to go do, long days at work, etc. You and your spouse have to understand and accept this. Lots of divorces and cheating spouses in the military for this reason. Jody loves a lonely wife, and Joe likes to marry bar whores. Not saying anything about your situation at home but its a fact of life for many. The divorce rate in units like the SEALs is even higher.

Absolutely. I want to be deployed, I want to train, I want to do what I'm trained to do. Thats why I'm signing up. I'm not signing up to sit at some base and collect a paycheck. I want to be out there doing it.

My family is aware (as much as possible without experiencing it) of the sacrifices we're all going to need to make. My spouse does understand the time I will be gone. I worry most about the little ones though.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 13:11
Thanks for the responses everyone. Just another cog in the research wheel and you've been mighty helpful. I go back to the recruiter Tuesday to see what the next step is. And point taken, EVERYTHING IN WRITING! ;)

westcoastfrog
02-12-10, 13:17
not sure about the other rates thing. when i came in we had to go to a regular a-school then go to BUD/S. BUD/S is now considered an a-school in order to streamline the pipeline so you go right after boot camp. Haven't heard any details about having to choose another rate though it makes sense as 90 percent don't make it. What i can say is that the initial screening test should be easy for you. before signing anything i would ensure that at any time under any conditions at any state of health you can pass the screen test with ease. The bare minimum is not what you want to be going for.

For me, my wife had no idea what to expect as we started dating as i was finishing up BUD/S. it's hard i ain't gonna lie. The time away....some wives handle it better some worse. Those wives who can take it more power to em...it takes a lot to deal with a husband who's gone 90 percent of the year and shows up for a week here and there with a bag of laundry and a hard on. Expect missing a lot of holidays, birthdays, family vacations, family reunions, etc. The biggest advice i can give with regard to family is when you're gone your focused on the mission. when you're home you're focused on your family.

mtneer13
02-12-10, 13:23
Thanks for the responses everyone. Just another cog in the research wheel and you've been mighty helpful. I go back to the recruiter Tuesday to see what the next step is. And point taken, EVERYTHING IN WRITING! ;)

i also concurr about the post mentioned above regarding the USCG...problem lies with now compared to when i was in...i was able to go in as a fire control technician(radar/electronics)...navy was offering a 6yr committment, automatic e-4 upon "a" school grad and a $1500 bonus...i took the USCG with a 4yr committment, got my e-4 3 months after graduation from "a" school and no bonus, $1500 for 2 yrs wasn't my bag...CG doesn't do the FT rate any longer, they are all ETs now...

enough about my situation...i would encourage you to look at an electronics/computer/crypto field as well...plenty of excellent career opportunities with a top secret clearance and background in those fields...bm, gm are not the fields to go into if you want out in the civilian side to make money in my opinion...
careers are in your best interest with kids to raise!!!

like they have said, get it all in writing!!! you should be able to get an e-3 with your degree upon graduation from great lakes...enjoy your time, whatever you choose, that 4 yrs will go by fast!!!

Safetyhit
02-12-10, 13:35
Rick Rock, if you are serious about this then I wish you luck. No sarcasm.

But maybe listen to the likes of Westcoastfrog and realize that the journey of 1,000 miles begins with the first step. Sounds like in your mind your already headed to BUDS.

Enthusiasm is great, but perhaps just join for now and then see if you are ready to go to the next level, or higher. This after you get the basic feel of things overall.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 15:16
not sure about the other rates thing. when i came in we had to go to a regular a-school then go to BUD/S. BUD/S is now considered an a-school in order to streamline the pipeline so you go right after boot camp. Haven't heard any details about having to choose another rate though it makes sense as 90 percent don't make it. What i can say is that the initial screening test should be easy for you. before signing anything i would ensure that at any time under any conditions at any state of health you can pass the screen test with ease. The bare minimum is not what you want to be going for.

Yep, i'm shooting for doing much better than the PST. NavySEALs.com has the PST requirements, and then the competitive PST results. I'm shooting for being at least better than the competitive PST results. I could pretty much pass the PST before I started training hard (I've always kept up my fitness).

For me, my wife had no idea what to expect as we started dating as i was finishing up BUD/S. it's hard i ain't gonna lie. The time away....some wives handle it better some worse. Those wives who can take it more power to em...it takes a lot to deal with a husband who's gone 90 percent of the year and shows up for a week here and there with a bag of laundry and a hard on. Expect missing a lot of holidays, birthdays, family vacations, family reunions, etc. The biggest advice i can give with regard to family is when you're gone your focused on the mission. when you're home you're focused on your family.

Thank you for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate the advice. I know its not going to be easy on any of us.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 15:19
i also concurr about the post mentioned above regarding the USCG...problem lies with now compared to when i was in...i was able to go in as a fire control technician(radar/electronics)...navy was offering a 6yr committment, automatic e-4 upon "a" school grad and a $1500 bonus...i took the USCG with a 4yr committment, got my e-4 3 months after graduation from "a" school and no bonus, $1500 for 2 yrs wasn't my bag...CG doesn't do the FT rate any longer, they are all ETs now...

enough about my situation...i would encourage you to look at an electronics/computer/crypto field as well...plenty of excellent career opportunities with a top secret clearance and background in those fields...bm, gm are not the fields to go into if you want out in the civilian side to make money in my opinion...
careers are in your best interest with kids to raise!!!

like they have said, get it all in writing!!! you should be able to get an e-3 with your degree upon graduation from great lakes...enjoy your time, whatever you choose, that 4 yrs will go by fast!!!

Thanks for your advice. I have considered the coast guard. But really I want to be overseas and serving with the best. No offense to the coast guard, but i think we can all agree SEALs are another level. And thats the level I desire to operate at.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 15:25
Rick Rock, if you are serious about this then I wish you luck. No sarcasm.

But maybe listen to the likes of Westcoastfrog and realize that the journey of 1,000 miles begins with the first step. Sounds like in your mind your already headed to BUDS.

Enthusiasm is great, but perhaps just join for now and then see if you are ready to go to the next level, or higher. This after you get the basic feel of things overall.

Thanks for wishing me luck, I appreciate it. Yes, I'm very serious about it and have been training hours a day every day for it.

Let me be clear, I'm joining the Navy to be a SEAL. So yes, in my mind I'm already looking forward and training for BUD/S. I want to be on that level more than anything, and am willing to make the sacrifices and put in the hard work necessary to get there. But I'm realistic, I know I may get injured or otherwise not hack it which is why I'm looking into what other options there are.

chg380
02-12-10, 15:38
As previously stated, the seals operate outside the traditional bounds of opsec and deployment. You have to be ready at a moments notice without any disclosure. You personally think that you are ready to except what ever comes your way, but your family may not. I was stationed at the creek on amphibious assault ship. We would watch the seals train and I can tell you that it is no walk in the park. A seals life is 99% training. There will be times when you have to leave and not be able to tell your family anything, It may be months before you can contact them. I have seen first hand the toll that a operators life can put on a family. Don't take this the wrong way but you may be a little to gungho, which is something that the seals don't care for. I admire your desire to be the best, but take your time and decide what is best for you and your family.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 16:06
As previously stated, the seals operate outside the traditional bounds of opsec and deployment. You have to be ready at a moments notice without any disclosure. You personally think that you are ready to except what ever comes your way, but your family may not. I was stationed at the creek on amphibious assault ship. We would watch the seals train and I can tell you that it is no walk in the park. A seals life is 99% training. There will be times when you have to leave and not be able to tell your family anything, It may be months before you can contact them. I have seen first hand the toll that a operators life can put on a family. Don't take this the wrong way but you may be a little to gungho, which is something that the seals don't care for. I admire your desire to be the best, but take your time and decide what is best for you and your family.

Understood. I don't mean to come off like I know what its like or that its going to be a walk in the park. But I've researched this and discussed it with my family for almost a year now. I had to get some legal custody issues out of the way before I enlisted which is why it took so long. But the amount of research I've done I believe I know everything I possibly can without actually going through it. My family is aware of the challenges that this lifestyle presents. Again, aware as much as possible without actually experiencing it for themselves.

LegalAlien
02-12-10, 16:19
RickRock

I saw you as an opinioned asshole in the past.

I see a very different person here. I apologize for prejudging you.

I wish you the best in your new Career choice and Thank you for being prepared to serve this wonderful country!! Striving to be the best of the best is a noble goal!!

I take my hat off to you sir, for the sacrifices you and your family are prepared to make.

SeriousStudent
02-12-10, 17:13
Don't stop. Don't ever quit. Make them drag your dead body off the beach at Coronado.

Good luck.

mtneer13
02-12-10, 17:45
Thanks for your advice. I have considered the coast guard. But really I want to be overseas and serving with the best. No offense to the coast guard, but i think we can all agree SEALs are another level. And thats the level I desire to operate at.

no offense taken, merely stating that you can get useful training that the navy provides in other services without their committment...

SEALs are definately different, just make sure you get a career out of your obligation...don't become a BM/GM/EM the list goes on and waste your precious time training with these rates...

some are "somewhat" useful skills, but none will give you what the navy electronics/nuclear power schools can give you IF you need something to fall back on if you decide the navy/SEALs is not a career you can handle...my ship was underway from alaska to russia to mexico for 265 days per year for the 2 years i was on it...it's not for everybody, trust me...not being able to leave your work on a daily basis can get to some people...i enjoyed my time, but i wasn't married or trying to raise a family as some were...it's a tough way to go, that's for sure!!!

with that being said, enjoy your decision and make it a smart one!!!

gogetal3
02-12-10, 18:19
My situation is similar. I'm in process of enlisting as 19D in the Army. Went to MEPS last tuesday (HATE that place). I'm 29 and have the custody issues to deal with. Come to find out that upon enlisting you give up your rights to ever pursue custody ever again!!!! There is a form you have to sign waiving your right to ever seek custody again. The recruiter didn't tell me that. So I got the medical outta the way and left. Will talk to my lawyer first then make decision based on legal advice. I am also going to request to speak to someone in JAG. But I understand your situation, being fed up with NOT doing what you feel you were suppose to do all these years. Young enough to change that. If your family supports your decision go for it don't look back. I am! Your family will only benefit from it, medical, G.I. bill. all the tuition money, use it. Wives get $$ for tuition as well. Everybody has to make sacrifices to be happy. 4-6 years in can lead to better days outside of the Millitary later on. Better yet no regrets when your 65.

Good luck

LMT42
02-12-10, 18:26
Gonna be a SEAL huh? I hope you like constantly being wet, tired, hungry and so cold you're on the verge of hypothermia. Jesus, just watching a BUDS documentary made me cold and tired. That seal training will make some of the toughest SOBs beg for a warm shower and soft bed. Men that make it as seals have a mental toughness for which I don't think they receive full credit. Those quys will die before they quit, and that's in a voluntary course!

I'm not gonna give you words of encouragement because you don't need them if you're SEAL material. In fact, I'll bet money you drop in the first or second week. That is of course if you're really joining up and this isn't just internet BS.

Harsh words aside, if I ever meet a real SEAL, I'll give the man my shirt, chair, beer or whatever else he wants. I can only wish I was half as tough as those guys.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 18:29
RickRock

I saw you as an opinioned asshole in the past.

I see a very different person here. I apologize for prejudging you.

I wish you the best in your new Career choice and Thank you for being prepared to serve this wonderful country!! Striving to be the best of the best is a noble goal!!

I take my hat off to you sir, for the sacrifices you and your family are prepared to make.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Even coming from a complete stranger on the internet, that means a lot. Yea, I can be an opinionated asshole sometimes, guilty as charged. But I suppose we all can when we feel passionately about something. I'm sure the military will straighten that out REAL quick. :D

Thank you for your kind words.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 18:32
Don't stop. Don't ever quit. Make them drag your dead body off the beach at Coronado.

Good luck.

Thats the idea! If its one thing that is not in my vocabulary, its quitting. But then again I've never been put through something like BUD/S either.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 18:34
Gonna be a SEAL huh? I hope you like constantly being wet, tired, hungry and so cold you're on the verge of hypothermia. Jesus, just watching a BUDS documentary made me cold and tired. That seal training will make some of the toughest SOBs beg for a warm shower and soft bed. Men that make it as seals have a mental toughness for which I don't think they receive full credit. Those quys will die before they quit, and that's in a voluntary course!

I'm not gonna give you words of encouragement because you don't need them if you're SEAL material. In fact, I'll bet money you drop in the first or second week. That is of course if you're really joining up and this isn't just internet BS.

Harsh words aside, if I ever meet a real SEAL, I'll give the man my shirt, chair, beer or whatever else he wants. I can only wish I was half as tough as those guys.

Gonna be a SEAL? I'd like to say yes, but one doesn't know until they try. Tired, hungry, and cold is a small price to pay to be a part of a SEAL team.

Safetyhit
02-12-10, 18:41

I know a few and the funniest thing about them is that they rarely look the part in person. Still sometimes in life, often with the ones that I've known, it is not what you see on the outside.

Sadly, one of my friends son's just confided in me that his dad (my friend) walked in his room at 4am and poured water on his head while he was sleeping. This because he was angry about something from the day before.

kjdoski
02-12-10, 18:48
Rick Rock - westcoastfrog has hit all the "high points," already. Let me tell you a little more about the family life:

I was active duty Army for 12 years, then switch to civilian Federal LE working for AFOSI. Was deployed/TDY an average of 160 days a year for two and a half years; Momma said "no mas."

Switched to NCIS, now doing protection on the senior SEAL in the Navy. Traveling with him about 150 days a year. Not the greatest thing in the world for the family. This year I missed my twins' birthday, will miss my birthday, and my wife's birthday. And I'm not an "operator," just a guy who follows an Operator around to watch his back.

My wife was a Navy brat, and we were married while I was still in the Army. She had lived the life before she met me. We STILL have VERY hard times, with what I consider a very moderate OPSTEMPO. All I'm saying is that if your fiancee isn't as committed to this career move as you are, you need to decide now if being with her or being a SEAL is more important. I won't bore you with the data on divorce rates across the military, let alone the Special Operations community.

I've never been through BUDs, but have had the privilege of having an SOCS as my team LCPO for a while, and having worked with a lot of SEALs. I've attended two SOQC graduations, and will be out in Coronado again later this year for another. Every one of these events has literally made me awestruck with the dedication, physical and mental toughness demonstrated by these "baby" SEALs.

If you're looking for other jobs in the Navy, and you're a "gun guy" you should look into being an Master-at-Arms, especially getting into a Mobile Security Team, or the Naval Expeditionary Combat Command. Heck, if you're unlucky, you could end up detailed to one of our NCIS Protective Service Units and lead the glamorous body guard lifestyle...

Best of luck to you and your family.

Regards,

Kevin

DragonDoc
02-12-10, 18:51
Talked to the recruiter yesterday about signing up. I'm going to do the Navy because I want to do the SEAL program. I've been training my ass off for some time now and I've done as much research as anyone can do and its definitely what I want more than anything. But I have to pick another job in case I don't make it. Basically, I qualify for any job in the Navy. I was recommended the advanced electronics or nuclear programs by the recruiter. So do you guys have any recommendations?

Master ar arms would be an excellent job that will prep you for SEALs. You will get to deal with weapons and security which also trandlate into marketable skills for civilians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master-at-arms

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=37940

rickrock305
02-12-10, 19:06
Rick Rock - westcoastfrog has hit all the "high points," already. Let me tell you a little more about the family life:

I was active duty Army for 12 years, then switch to civilian Federal LE working for AFOSI. Was deployed/TDY an average of 160 days a year for two and a half years; Momma said "no mas."

Switched to NCIS, now doing protection on the senior SEAL in the Navy. Traveling with him about 150 days a year. Not the greatest thing in the world for the family. This year I missed my twins' birthday, will miss my birthday, and my wife's birthday. And I'm not an "operator," just a guy who follows an Operator around to watch his back.

My wife was a Navy brat, and we were married while I was still in the Army. She had lived the life before she met me. We STILL have VERY hard times, with what I consider a very moderate OPSTEMPO. All I'm saying is that if your fiancee isn't as committed to this career move as you are, you need to decide now if being with her or being a SEAL is more important. I won't bore you with the data on divorce rates across the military, let alone the Special Operations community.

I've never been through BUDs, but have had the privilege of having an SOCS as my team LCPO for a while, and having worked with a lot of SEALs. I've attended two SOQC graduations, and will be out in Coronado again later this year for another. Every one of these events has literally made me awestruck with the dedication, physical and mental toughness demonstrated by these "baby" SEALs.

If you're looking for other jobs in the Navy, and you're a "gun guy" you should look into being an Master-at-Arms, especially getting into a Mobile Security Team, or the Naval Expeditionary Combat Command. Heck, if you're unlucky, you could end up detailed to one of our NCIS Protective Service Units and lead the glamorous body guard lifestyle...

Best of luck to you and your family.

Regards,

Kevin

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate the perspective. I've looked into the Master At Arms and its on my short list.

MSP "Sarge"
02-12-10, 19:16
I just want to throw something out to you. Is the mother of your children your girlfriend? Well that really doesn't matter anyway . How would you feel about another man raising your children? His values may be different than yours. I truley believe that it is a single man's job. I think you are being selfish. Now hear me out before anyone lghts me up. Your children need to be the most important thing in your life. They need all the love, direction and suport that you can give them. Don't you want to go hunting and fishing with your kids. Don't you want to be the one that shows then how? What about sports. Don't you want to coach your kids baseball, tee ball or football team? This is what is important. If you want some action running jumping shooting foot chases high speed chases or SWAT Team join your police department. If you want to give back to your community be a police officer and coach little league or football. This is where dads are needed.

I admire you guys that have and continue to serve. I tried to enlist and was turned down because of a bad knee. I went the above route and enjoyed every minuete of it and still have my kids. As a matter of fact I adopted my oldest son when I married my second wife. Well she's gone 5 years now and he still lives with me. Never missed one football game or homecoming. We hunt fish and talk about broads. The same ex wife walked out on my 9 year old when he was 4. Was a single dad for a few years. Married a wonderful girl now and I am raising her son. I've taught him to shoot hunt fish and play baseball and football. I even coached his football team. Don't let another man raise your kids. Be there for them. Sorry for the rant. He's making a very big life altering decession.

Safetyhit
02-12-10, 19:31
I just want to throw something out to you. Is the mother of your children your girlfriend? Well that really doesn't matter anyway . How would you feel about another man raising your children? His values may be different than yours. I truley believe that it is a single man's job. I think you are being selfish. Now hear me out before anyone lghts me up. Your children need to be the most important thing in your life. They need all the love, direction and suport that you can give them. Don't you want to go hunting and fishing with your kids. Don't you want to be the one that shows then how? What about sports. Don't you want to coach your kids baseball, tee ball or football team? This is what is important. If you want some action running jumping shooting foot chases high speed chases or SWAT Team join your police department. If you want to give back to your community be a police officer and coach little league or football. This is where dads are needed.

I admire you guys that have and continue to serve. I tried to enlist and was turned down because of a bad knee. I went the above route and enjoyed every minuete of it and still have my kids. As a matter of fact I adopted my oldest son when I married my second wife. Well she's gone 5 years now and he still lives with me. Never missed one football game or homecoming. We hunt fish and talk about broads. The same ex wife walked out on my 9 year old when he was 4. Was a single dad for a few years. Married a wonderful girl now and I am raising her son. I've taught him to shoot hunt fish and play baseball and football. I even coached his football team. Don't let another man raise your kids. Be there for them. Sorry for the rant. He's making a very big life altering decession.

Your response is as brilliant as it is courageous. Very well said.

And Godspeed to all Special Ops personnel.

mtneer13
02-12-10, 19:42

excellent post...now that i am a father of two boys, i feel the same way...i took my youngest, he just turned 8 in jan, hunting with me during rifle season in november...we(i) killed a deer and i almost cried with him, it was one of the coolest experiences to share with my kids...now i have to get the 9yr old out to get the experiences as well...rick, you have quite a bit to ponder, good luck to ya!!!

Irish
02-12-10, 19:56

Much more eloquent than I would've put it, well said and quite true. Great post.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 20:44

Believe me I've thought about this a LOT. This is the reason it has taken me as long as it has to make this decision. And yes at times I've felt like it is a selfish decision. But at this point in our lives I believe it is the right thing for myself AND my family. I want my kids and family to have a secure future and with my life the way it is now I believe the military is the best option to provide that.

No offense to LEOs, but I don't think I could handle being a cop for a variety of reasons. Its an option I've weighed heavily.

Thank you very much for your point of view. I really appreciate what you're saying and understand where you are coming from.

By the way, I see you're Maryland State Police. My grandfather was Captain of the Montgomery County Police Department, George Hurd. He retired many years ago and passed away in 2004. Doug McFee was also a great friend of the family, recently passed away.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/26/AR2010012603582.html

Both GREAT men.

Thomas M-4
02-12-10, 21:05
28 years sorry but you are probably to old for Seals training. You say you can pass the physical fitness test a word of advice you do realize that the physical test will be given to. When if your are lucky you might have had 4 hours of sleep but probably less than that. And training is 7 days a week.

kjdoski
02-12-10, 21:35
I wouldn't count him out because of his age - he's DEFINITELY at the outer edge of feasibility of passing; but if he's in crazy good shape, I don't think 28 is too old at all. Heck, my Boss is over 50, and runs 5-7 miles every morning in 40-45 minutes, runs at least one marathon a year, and can, on request, hop up on a pull up bar and knock out 20 or more PERFECT pull ups.

I have guys on my team now who are about 28 who are in WAY better shape than I ever was at 18-22 - and whom I have no doubt could pass BUDS/SQT if that's what they wanted to do.

Regards,

Kevin

Pilopino67
02-12-10, 21:47
Best wishes to you going into BUD/S.

I don't have any comment as far as the nuclear field, but I did go the electronics route. I liked doing stuff with computers so it seemed like a natural fit. Also, one of the rates down this path (ET - Electronics Technician) was a "source rating." But the FC (Fire Controlman) rate seemed to be a lot more fun...so I went that path and figured that after I did at least one deployment I'll figure out some way or another to make things work.

After all my schools I got sent to the USS Cole...my first deployment was the 2000 deployment where we got bombed. I felt my calling was to stay with the ship and my naval career significantly changed course.

As far as the "backup" rates...I agree you'll be stuck with nuclear if you go that route. You'll have to go find your interests and have that complement your rate. Don't get stuck in a rate that's "fun" but then you don't dig it. On the electronics front, you'll have the ETs that run more of your general electronic gear, comms, radar and so forth. FCs, by their name, mainly work on gear that relates to or supports the fire control mission...certain radars, missile systems, computers, what not.

If that's not your thing, many others have mentioned rates in less technical, ordnance or law enforcement fields...GMs, TMs, MAs...and so on.

The intelligence field with CTs and ISs. I know the Navy has invested a lot with intelligence and their support to NSW missions. My RDC was a CT and one of my Cole shipmates was a CT, both of them supported NSW in one way or another.

I'm glad I loved being an FC...my recruiter was selling advanced electronics all over the place. See what seems to interest you and perhaps you might be fortunate to get some insight from people in that rate.

Hopefully, you can keep it simple and just make it through BUD/S! Best wishes to you again.

rickrock305
02-12-10, 22:27
28 years sorry but you are probably to old for Seals training. You say you can pass the physical fitness test a word of advice you do realize that the physical test will be given to. When if your are lucky you might have had 4 hours of sleep but probably less than that. And training is 7 days a week.

nah, i'm not too old yet. age cutoff is 29. and there have been folks a heck of a lot older than me that have passed BUD/S. i've heard of a guy in his late 30s passing. no idea how he got the waver though, musta been a hell of a guy!

Yes, I said I can pass the test. But I also said I'm aiming to do a hell of a lot better than just passing the test.

Getting paid to train 7 days a week sounds great to me.

Aray
02-12-10, 22:41
I was a Nuke, 3385, Cruiser MM. Once you are in the pipeline, you will not be released to go to BUD/S unless something has changed since 1990.

A guy (nuke designated) in my Boot Camp Company was a State Championship level swimmer in high school, he was pulled aside during our swimming training by a Master Chief diver who wanted him to go to BUD/S. He was locked in and not allowed to even try out. I don't know what other rates are in that category, but Nuke MM/EM/ET was out of the question.

Hoss356
02-12-10, 23:18
I spent 8 years as a Damage Controlman, I just spent 10 minutes reading all the pages leading up to this one, there's some great advice on here and on the other site you've researched. Have a back up plan, but when you get there only focus on the task at hand and forget about the back up. I've known more BUDS drop outs then I could even remember to count and most were extremely fit and very motivated to do everything, the ONE thing I remember most of them agreed on was; on Day 1 everybody in the class wanted to be there more than anything, but in order to stay there it takes more than anybody who's not wearing the trident could ever know.

Common sense also tells me that BUDS is the easy part of being a SEAL and bells are for pussies, give em hell.

Thomas M-4
02-12-10, 23:34
nah, i'm not too old yet. age cutoff is 29. and there have been folks a heck of a lot older than me that have passed BUD/S. i've heard of a guy in his late 30s passing. no idea how he got the waver though, musta been a hell of a guy!

Yes, I said I can pass the test. But I also said I'm aiming to do a hell of a lot better than just passing the test.

Getting paid to train 7 days a week sounds great to me.

The reason's I say to old 1st your 28 why now have you decided to go??? It sounds if you have hit a road block in life [ which is completely normal btw] and you just decided to take plan B or C.
Wish you luck.
Has been said by others kiss the instructors ass , shut up , and make them drag your lifeless body off the field.

parishioner
04-16-10, 14:40
What's the latest on your endeavor into the Navy and on to NSW?

RetreatHell
04-16-10, 16:10
I'm going to be blunt and honest here, man. Your relationship with your fiance' and soon to be wife will be extremely strained if you actually make it through all of the SEAL training. Before you'd even deploy to combat, you'd be gone for the majority of well over a year for all the different training (not sure if they've accelerated that due to needing teams to deploy ASAP or not, but I doubt it). It is more likely that your marriage will end in divorce than last through all of your training, let alone your first of MANY deployments. Those are just the facts.

You can say that joining the Navy in general is for your family, as the benefits are amazing for spouses and children. But you wanting to be a SEAL is for you and only you, NOT for your family. Not criticizing you, as that's completely understandable. It's just gonna strain the shit out of your relationships with all of them. I would personally NOT want to be in that situation myself, and am glad I never was.

To be completely honest here, if you want to be the best possible husband, father, and provider to your family by joining the Navy, and have the highest chance for a successful marriage and a wonderful relationship with your kids, the best thing to do would probably be to completely forget about the SEALs altogether and go with an MOS that has a very low chance for deployment to any theater of war, and will keep you safe and sound here at home.

However, all that said, I completely understand that if you don't attempt to be a SEAL, you will probably wonder for the rest of your life if you could've made it, and might regret not going after it, or going with a different and more exciting MOS that would've allowed you to deploy to some shithole overseas, and that you might feel that you never really challenged and tested yourself the way you really wanted to as a man. Believe me, I get it. But you're a father and about to be a husband, so...

I don't envy your situation, and I'm not going to tell you what I think you should do, as you'll have to decide that for yourself. Just know that you don't have to be a SEAL to serve your country, man. Either way, good luck and Godspeed in your future endeavors.

Take care and Semper Fi,

-Paul

Safetyhit
04-16-10, 16:26
I'm going to be blunt and honest here, man...

Unfortunately Paul your extremely thoughtful reply, as well as your time and effort, were likely wasted here. This would be one reason why it is unwise to have such individuals stain a forum with such insincerity on a regular basis.

Did read your recent SWAT article, very nice work.

rickrock305
04-16-10, 16:27
What's the latest on your endeavor into the Navy and on to NSW?

Its a MISSION to enlist right now. With the economy the way it is, they have no shortage of people so I've had to really stay on the recruiters to handle my stuff.

I passed the SEAL PST at the "elevated level" the first time taking it. I've taken the ASVAB, got my MEPS physical all done, taken the CSORT, basically everything but sign the contract. Waiting on a couple of waivers to go through because of screwed up paperwork and I'll have my contract.

Been working out with all the SEAL candidates once a week under the guidance of the local SEAL mentor. GREAT workouts, they really beat some ass. First one I did they had us doing burpees and this other variety of pushup where you walk your hands out in front of you, forgot the name. 10 each for 15 minutes, then run a mile, then back to do the same thing for another 15 minutes. This went on for about two hours. And this is after doing the full PST. I lost count but I think I did roughly 800 pushups between burpees and some others, plus running about 6 miles. There's a couple of real studs out there working out but I'm not too far behind the leaders of the pack. At least I'm not throwing up like a lot of the kids haha. Just gotta get my run times down and cardio endurance up. Its a lot of fun though and the SEAL mentor program is really invaluable to potential candidates.

rickrock305
04-16-10, 16:36
I'm going to be blunt and honest here, man. Your relationship with your fiance' and soon to be wife will be extremely strained if you actually make it through all of the SEAL training. Before you'd even deploy to combat, you'd be gone for the majority of well over a year for all the different training (not sure if they've accelerated that due to needing teams to deploy ASAP or not, but I doubt it). It is more likely that your marriage will end in divorce than last through all of your training, let alone your first of MANY deployments. Those are just the facts.

You can say that joining the Navy in general is for your family, as the benefits are amazing for spouses and children. But you wanting to be a SEAL is for you and only you, NOT for your family. Not criticizing you, as that's completely understandable. It's just gonna strain the shit out of your relationships with all of them. I would personally NOT want to be in that situation myself, and am glad I never was.

To be completely honest here, if you want to be the best possible husband, father, and provider to your family by joining the Navy, and have the highest chance for a successful marriage and a wonderful relationship with your kids, the best thing to do would probably be to completely forget about the SEALs altogether and go with an MOS that has a very low chance for deployment to any theater of war, and will keep you safe and sound here at home.

However, all that said, I completely understand that if you don't attempt to be a SEAL, you will probably wonder for the rest of your life if you could've made it, and might regret not going after it, or going with a different and more exciting MOS that would've allowed you to deploy to some shithole overseas, and that you might feel that you never really challenged and tested yourself the way you really wanted to as a man. Believe me, I get it. But you're a father and about to be a husband, so...

I don't envy your situation, and I'm not going to tell you what I think you should do, as you'll have to decide that for yourself. Just know that you don't have to be a SEAL to serve your country, man. Either way, good luck and Godspeed in your future endeavors.

Take care and Semper Fi,

-Paul

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond.

I do understand that I will be gone a LOT. My wife and I have discussed this a lot, for a long time now. And she supports me in my decision. I know its going to put a tremendous strain on our relationship and the relationship with my children. I know what I'm getting myself into, as much as one can know without experiencing it for oneself.

You hit the nail on the head with the fact that if I don't do this, I will regret it for the rest of my life. And if I do go through with it and succeed, I may regret it for the rest of my life. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. But IMO I would rather try than to have never tried at all. Is it selfish, possibly. And thats why I've struggled with the decision for so long.

I do not want an MOS that has a low chance of deployment. I don't wanna be stuck on a boat somewhere or in the rear. I'm doing this because I want to deploy to that overseas shithole. I want to be trained to the highest caliber. I want to be on a team of people that are the best at what they do and that I can trust with my life. If I'm going to serve, I want to serve in a combat role.

Again, thank you for your words, they are much appreciated.

rickrock305
04-16-10, 16:37
Unfortunately Paul your extremely thoughtful reply, as well as your time and effort, were likely wasted here. This would be one reason why it is unwise to have such individuals stain a forum with such insincerity on a regular basis.

Did read your recent SWAT article, very nice work.

whats the matter with you bro? I know you have issues with me, but you dont have to stoop so low as makig up stuff about me. I have always been 100% sincere in everything I post here or anywhere else.

I can see right through what you're trying to do here.

Safetyhit
04-16-10, 18:11
whats the matter with you bro? I know you have issues with me, but you dint have to stoop so low as making up stuff about me. I have always been 100% sincere in everything I post here or anywhere else.

Then by all means please keep us posted while between bans. And also understand that if you do actually go in then I truly wish you the best. You are at that point a member of our team and will be valuable as such.

Just cut the leftist propaganda, it will hurt your status.

l3mon
04-16-10, 18:15
The recruiter said with my Associates degree I would go in either E2 or E3 depending on my college credits.

regardless youd be an e-4 out of BUD/S

and go seabees as your back-up.

11B101ABN
04-19-10, 06:26
Corpsman. Clanking balls of steel.

How about SWCC if you dont make the SEALs? Gunner's Mate, perhaps?

Still thing being a Corpsman in the FMF would be the apex.For me at least.

tampam4
04-19-10, 09:10
Corpsman. Clanking balls of steel.

How about SWCC if you dont make the SEALs? Gunner's Mate, perhaps?

Still thing being a Corpsman in the FMF would be the apex.For me at least.

The Navy definitely wants to keep guys interested in SpecWar/SpecOps in that community, so if he rings it during BUD/S or even pre BUD/S, they'll try to get him EOD/Diver/SWCC/Air Rescue if he'll take it.

rickrock305
04-19-10, 11:36
Yea, I would dig going SWCC but I'm not sure they would allow me to go right there if i fail out of BUD/S. Might have to do a year in the fleet before coming back to the SpecWar jobs.

LockenLoad
04-19-10, 11:40
good luck to you hope you make it, keep us informed

rickrock305
04-19-10, 12:55
will do, thanks.

Irish
04-19-10, 13:22
I do not want an MOS that has a low chance of deployment. I don't wanna be stuck on a boat somewhere or in the rear. I'm doing this because I want to deploy to that overseas shithole. I want to be trained to the highest caliber. I want to be on a team of people that are the best at what they do and that I can trust with my life. If I'm going to serve, I want to serve in a combat role.

I haven't bothered to read this thread in a while but thought I'd chime in for a minute. If your goal is to have a combat oriented Naval rating or NEC, MOS doesn't exist in the Navy, then you might be better off going into the Marines.

I gotta make this quick as I have somewhere to be but it used to be that Marines could cross deck and go to BUDS, I believe this may be still possible. If not you could always go Force Recon which is no frickin' joke from everything I've seen and read. Joining the Marines and going Grunt would give you a lot more assurance that you are forward combat deployed in your military career. Devil Dogs as a whole are no joke and the Force Recon Marine Units are Billy badasses in their own right! Just something to consider AND you'd still be getting paid from the Dept. of the Navy :D

parishioner
07-01-11, 14:10
Updates?

Redmanfms
07-02-11, 04:30
Join the Air Force.

I was a sub sailor, nuke type. Join the Air Force. They don't deploy anywhere near as often (some guys don't go anywhere, ever) so they're home with their families. The housing all around is better than anything I ever saw on a Navy base (and sub barracks and base housing are top notch, by Navy standards).

I enjoyed my time in the Navy, I loved being on a sub, but I was single with no kids. Navy life is hard on families. We deploy/patrol all the time, war time - peace time, doesn't matter. Even when not deployed/on patrol in port time (especially refits) is hectic.

As far as being SEAL, your odds are slim. I don't mean to piss on your parade, but your are ****ing ANCIENT. Unless you are able to GREATLY exceed the SEAL test and do it on their timetable, you might as well forget being a SEAL. You should have a rating picked out beforehand anyway, even if you want to go SEAL, AND GET IT IN YOUR CONTRACT!!!!!

A note, you can't enlist nuke and still go SEAL, plus, you can't strike nuke, and it's extraordinarily rare to cross-rate nuke (I knew one guy who got out of HT A-school and successfully petitioned to go nuke and he became an EM), you aren't going to cross-rate out of nuke either (unless you are de-nuked, which you DO NOT want).

Join the Air Force.

ETA: ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! I feel for a necro!!! AHHH! I was a little suspicious when I saw who the OP was.

Still, if you haven't gone in and are still considering the military, join the Air Force.

ETA #2: And no, I'm not slamming the sky blue brothers. Their quality of life, especially family life, is just much better than Navy.

Redmanfms
07-02-11, 04:57
Updates?

Based on the fact that there are no gaps in his posting on this forum of more than a week or two since he joined the site, I'm willing to bet he didn't enlist; unless of course, boot camp has changed a whole lot in the 10 years since I went and they let you have internet time.......

:fie: