PDA

View Full Version : New Rifle - Barrel/Rail Decisions

Scott2501
02-12-10, 12:20
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of putting together a new rifle. This will be my second AR. I have already purchased a BCM Complete Lower and BCM Bolt Carrier Group. I am ready to purchase the upper, but need some input before I pull the trigger.

I know I want a BCM 16" Mid-length upper with a 12" rail. What I am not sure about is whether I want a Daniel Defense Lite rail or a LaRue Tactical rail. I also don't know which barrel type would be best - standard, BFH, or stainless.

Bravo Company has the Lite rail in stock on all three barrel types, but the LaRue is not in stock on any of the barrel types. Bravo did not know an ETA on the configurations with LaRue rails when I e-mailed them.

So, my questions... would it be best to wait for the LaRue rails to be back in stock from Bravo, or would the Daniel Defense be as good, or better? I know I could buy the upper and order the rail from LaRue, but I would prefer to buy a complete upper from Bravo Company.

Also, which barrel type would be preferred? Accuracy is important to me, as I am building this rifle as a longer range type set up than my prior general use carbine. I only shoot probably 1,000 rounds/year, but I still worry about wearing out a stainless barrel. Maybe those concerns are unfounded.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks for the wealth of info I have gotten from this site. :)

ForTehNguyen
02-12-10, 14:39
i actually have both rail systems on BCM middys, what exactly did you want to know about them? LaRue 12.0 has a QD attachment point, the DD Lite 12.0 doesnt. The LaRue bottom rail is a 1/4" higher than the DD. People have problems mounting a Magpul AFG with rail covers on a LaRue rail.

there is an article where a BCM middy has about 28k rounds shot through it, its shooting .5" groups at 50 yards still, however unknown at 100 yards. It was using the standard barrel too, not the hammer forged one.

Scott2501
02-12-10, 14:43
Thanks for the input. On the rails, I guess I don't need anything specific. I know the main advantage to the LaRue is the built in QD mount, and the main advantage to the Daniel Defense is the continuous top rail. I just wasn't sure if there was a general concensus on which rail was better, quality wise. As I am not too concerned about the QD capability, and the DD is in stock, I may go that route, unless anyone has a reason I shouldn't.

Sounds like the "regular" barrel performs just fine. So, save the $100 on the cost of a BFH or Stainless barrel?

ForTehNguyen
02-12-10, 14:52
i haven't had any experience with a hammer forge barrel. Larue and DD are both high quality, cant go wrong with either.

olds442tyguy
02-12-10, 15:25
I'd go with the DD. It's going to be a lot lighter out front, which is important on rifles with long rails. The bridged gap up top doesn't make that much difference in the real world, but does do away with that outdated 90's rail look.

It's in stock, so I'd jump on it while you can.