PDA

View Full Version : AL Workplace Protection Bill (for most)

LA Sig
02-12-10, 16:11
Below is AL website (http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/ViewBillsStatusACASLogin.asp?BillNumber=HB364) pertaining to the Workplace Protection Bill. The bill will be good for most of Alabama but the major power producer in the state (Alabama P o w e r) gives each Representative and each Senator $1000/$5000 per year respectively. In the bill introduced by Rep Craig Ford, he specifically used the following language from Section 2:

(c) Subsection (a) shall not apply to a motor
vehicle that is owned by a business entity, property owner, or
employer while it is being used by agents or employees of the
business entity, property owner, or employer in the course of
their employment or facilities, lands, or property owned,
operated, or controlled by any entity engaged in the
generation, transmission, or distribution of electricity.

I am a security officer at an energy generation facility. My employer actually issues me a pistol and then at most posts, I have 2 long guns for use. Why can't they trust me to leave a pistol in my vehicle?

If you are in Alabama, I know the majority of you will be helped by this bill but don't forget the folks who are being hurt by their own legislator due to their heavy pockets! Please support the minority as well by emailing your legislators and telling them to strip this part of the bill after it leaves committee.

Power company employees should have the same rights as the rest of Alabama!

Powereng
02-12-10, 18:03
I work for a utility here in Michigan, and we have a strict "no guns or ammo" on company property or in a personal vehicle while on company property rule. Most guys just park across the street at the bank to get around this rule. Sounds stupid, but vehicles have been searched in the past as a form of company indimidation. :(

LA Sig
02-12-10, 18:43
That would work except the plant is 1 mile from the gate.

The big deal here is that ALL of Alabama will be able to take their firearms to work in their vehicle EXCEPT those that work for a power company. The legislators are on the take from the power companies and that is why they are the exception in this bill. There is no legal reason for this other than the money lining their pockets.

The NRA is working on this but don't think it will go anywhere if the power company part is removed.