PDA

View Full Version : Hello Board....Colt 6920/6940

AtownBcat
02-12-10, 21:49
hello all...first post here. I have enjoyed trying to catch up.

First i'm more of a long range bolt guy, who knows nothing about "black guns" but have always wanted one. I have always been afraid I would make the wrong buy and be stuck with or be forced to upgrade a poor purchase. I was very happy to find "the chart" and have decided to go with the Colt. My question is, I'm tempted to go with the 6940. Is the rail system worth the extra money? Are the after market rails that I could add to the 6920 that would be better than what comes on the 6940? Is the only difference between the two models the rail system?
Thanks for the help.

Just so you know i can buy the 6920 for 1200.00 and expect to buy the 6940 for no more than 1450.00.

Pappabear
02-12-10, 21:53
Thats only $250 for the rail, flip down front/rear sights... Free float barrel. I went 6940. Very happy with it. If you want a colt, which is a good idea, and you ever want a rail. Its a no brainer.

trizzot
02-12-10, 22:09
You cant go wrong with either, But I have a 6940 and love it.I haveproudly carried a colt rifle daily for almost 15 years now. From military duty to current job. There isnt a more dependable rifle for the money. And being your first blackrifle, its a great gun that will make you happy for years to come.

m4fun
02-12-10, 22:23
Welcome aboard - good folks here with lots of good info.

First shop your prices - seem about $200 higher then some deals.

You cant go wrong with your choices here. If you spend less $ to get the 6920 you catch up quickly adding the rail - and depending on your skill set/gunsmithing skills, might cost you more. You quickly see something like handguards evolve into a preferenc thing. It is tough being you are just getting into black rifles - there are so many options - its like buying a stock Jeep Wranger then need to add lift kit, gears, rockers, bumbers, etc, etc. The fact you found the chart and decided on Colt means your going in the right direction.

The negative about the 6940 I see, suppose you later decide on a Daniel Defense rail than has a rail portion infront of the front sight for mounting a light in the 1200 position...might never be on you radar so who cares...At that point you might as well have gone with a DD rigle with it all...

William B.
02-12-10, 22:54
The negative about the 6940 I see, suppose you later decide on a Daniel Defense rail than has a rail portion infront of the front sight for mounting a light in the 1200 position...might never be on you radar so who cares...At that point you might as well have gone with a DD rigle with it all...

Welcome! +1 about the rail. I have no doubt that the 6940 would be plenty reliable for you. If you buy a monolithic railed upper, though, you're stuck with that rail.

kwelz
02-12-10, 23:34
I loved my 6940s. They shot great. However I sold/traded them. I prefer longer thinner rails and it just wasn't quite right for me.

AtownBcat
02-13-10, 00:17
so just to be clear...the only difference between the two models are the rail, the sights, and the fact that the barrel is free floated, which im guessing has to do with the rail. If I added a rail like the DD, does that free float the barrel on the 6920? The "guts" if you will, is the same on the two guns?

Im sure I could find these a little cheaper, but to be honest i would rather deal with the smaller indie shop that I deal with in south Ft Worth. The service is worth a little extra cash.

shittercrewchief
02-13-10, 00:33
Yes The Fire control group and Bolt carrier Group are the same.
With the 6940 rail, it is monolithic meaning the upper receiver and rail are one solid forged piece no swapping rails.

Pappabear
02-13-10, 09:11
Yes The Fire control group and Bolt carrier Group are the same.
With the 6940 rail, it is monolithic meaning the upper receiver and rail are one solid forged piece no swapping rails.

The monoloithic rail being a big deal for some. It is considered a premium design feature for me. I really lke the idea. Others dont like not being able to take apart and change parts, rails... I'm not able to do many things that many guys on this sight can do. I'm thrilled its already done, will never come lose, shake rattle or roll. And is a great free float design.

The other great rifle that comes with a rail is the DD with 12.0 rail. Which is quite nice for the money and features. Its not a Colt, but its a hell of weapon.

sgalbra76
02-13-10, 10:57
I'm going to be the odd ball here.

I have little need of all the forend rail attachments. The top rail on the 6920 is large enough to stick my Aimpoint and a BUIS on there which is all I need in a 16" carbine. The most I'll stick on the forend of my M4 is a flashlight, but even then I rarely use it because if I need a flashlight it is at night or indoors during a building search. At those times, likely encounters will be in buck shot range and I prefer to use the shotgun then. I don't use full auto, so I don't see much need for a floating barrel, I'm not a big fan of verticle grips, and if I need to attach the 37mm for crowd control the attachement points are already on the 6920.

I would say I'm a pretty sensible, utility oriented guy. If I were going with a 20" precision rifle, then yeah the extended rails would be good for the attachement of a bipod, laser, and/or extended range optic. Personal preference, but I think the additional $$$ for the 6940 is unnecessary for the typical user.

Copperhead
02-13-10, 12:06
I know your dilemma. I recently purchased a 6920 and wish I had explored the 6940 a little closer. My advise is to research the rail system mfgs. sites and make a list of the prices of the rails you are thinking of refitting. Also count in the gun smithing installment charges if you do not have the tools to do the work yourself. I am certain you will find that the cost differences between refitting and buying the 6940 will be fairly significant. I also suggest that you go to your local gun shop and take a very close look at the 6940 and determine what changes to that configuration you need to make. Unless you really like refitting things yourself, I think the instant gratification in buying the 6940 will outweigh the alternative. You might want to spend the money you save on a AR rifle scope. Welcome to M4 Carbine!

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-13-10, 12:33
The only downside as I see it to the 6940 is the proprietary barrel nut used with the monolithic rail. IF and I mean IF you need to change the barrel for any reason your only option currently is to send it into Colt. I do not know of any 6940 tools available currently that you could purchase to do this on your own. This could and probably will change but at the moment your stuck with it.

Other than that the 6940 appears to have almost everything you would want out of the box. Add some optics of your choice and maybe a grip and stock change if you are so inclined and you are GTG.

jhs1969
02-13-10, 14:47
I got a 6920 a few weeks ago and will add to it as $$$ permits. I've already got a LMT fully outfitted (for my needs at least) and know pretty much exactly what I want to do with the Colt. If the 6940 came with a fixed/standard FSB I may very well have gone that route. The fixed fsb is nearly mandatory for my personal application. I read somewhere that Colt may offer a 6940 with a fixed fsb this year, now that would be sweet. If I ever need a third carbine (when), then I would be very interested in that set up.

Daekwan
02-13-10, 20:52
I got a 6920 a few weeks ago and will add to it as $$$ permits. I've already got a LMT fully outfitted (for my needs at least) and know pretty much exactly what I want to do with the Colt. If the 6940 came with a fixed/standard FSB I may very well have gone that route. The fixed fsb is nearly mandatory for my personal application. I read somewhere that Colt may offer a 6940 with a fixed fsb this year, now that would be sweet. If I ever need a third carbine (when), then I would be very interested in that set up.

Picked up my 6940 the first week of November 2009. Have shot it on two seperate occasions before but no decent pics. Went to the VA Gun show in Chantilly, VA today and the Silver Eagle Group 50 yard indoor range later on.

My baby.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs127.snc3/17472_307381102141_588762141_4091510_2737339_n.jpg

And how she shoots..

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs236.snc3/22372_307380322141_588762141_4091509_4667543_n.jpg

More accurate than I am. Yes that is a full 30 round magazine shooting basically the size of a quarter.

Unfortunately the range shut us down early today. I still need to come up 2 clicks and to the right 1 to have her perfectly zero'ed in on the bullseye.

AtownBcat
02-13-10, 21:05
So thank you to everyone for their input. I have decided to go with the 6920. I may be kicken myself in the ass in the future, but I just didnt like the idea of being stuck with the factory set up. The thing is i might have loved the 6940 just the way it came and I also might not care for it. I just dont have enough EXP to know yet. I will upgrade and add extra stuff as the needs arise.
So do i need to strip this thing down and do a good clean/lube before I shoot it or is it ready to go from the factory?
Do most of you guys use handloads for your AR's? Im set up so all it would cost me is the dies..I just figure the brass is hard to keep up with. There is not a reloading section so what are you guys finding that shoots well in your colts?(I know every gun is different but its a good place to start)

goodoleboy
02-13-10, 21:50
So thank you to everyone for their input. I have decided to go with the 6920. I may be kicken myself in the ass in the future, but I just didnt like the idea of being stuck with the factory set up. The thing is i might have loved the 6940 just the way it came and I also might not care for it. I just dont have enough EXP to know yet. I will upgrade and add extra stuff as the needs arise.
So do i need to strip this thing down and do a good clean/lube before I shoot it or is it ready to go from the factory?
Do most of you guys use handloads for your AR's? Im set up so all it would cost me is the dies..I just figure the brass is hard to keep up with. There is not a reloading section so what are you guys finding that shoots well in your colts?(I know every gun is different but its a good place to start)

Trust me, you will never kick yourself for buying anything Colt makes. I have a 6920 and absolutely love it. You can always add rails to the 6920 in the future if you want them, if you didn't like the rails on the 6940, you would have been stuck with it.

To answer the clean/lube question, yes. You will find some good cleaning instructions on the forum with videos to demonstrate a proper cleaning.

To answer your last question, I have handloaded all but the first 100 rounds or so I've ever shot in mine. There are tons of options available to you when you handload. Some options are better at some things than other. For general blasting, you can't go wrong with good old fashioned 55 gr. FMJ loads. You will better utilize the accuracy potential of your rifle's 1:7 twist by using longer/heavier bullets (up to 75 grains). Some of the least accurate bullets you can handload are SS109 62 gr FMJ with steel penetrators. The reason is that the rear portion of the core is lead and the front portion of the core is steel. The SS109s are what the military has been using for M855 Ball ammo. I've loaded a bunch of M855 clones that I still have to shoot up, or keep for a rainy day.

As to your concerns about keeping up with brass, there are brass catchers you can purchase to help keep up with brass, which might help (I've never tried them, just seen them).

At any rate, you are going to love your purchase!!! You are getting the standard by which all others are judged.

Daekwan
02-13-10, 21:51

You cant go wrong with the 6920. Its the standard for current model AR's. Noveskes might have a prettier finish, better barrel.. KAC has advanced features and BCMs have cheaper prices & middys..

But they are still all copying what the 6920 has done for years. And thats be the closest thing you get to a civilian obtainable M4.

Also by getting the 6920.. you have a more open platform with which to customize. I chose the 6940 because I knew exactly what I wanted and it fit my needs. I have no plans to put anything else on my AR.. in fact im considering taking some things off as its gained alot of weight from all the upgrades.

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-13-10, 21:54
Yes. You should disassemble the rifle and clean it and lube it prior to use. I like to run a new AR wet, really wet for the first couple of range sessions.

I like factory ammo in a gas gun. Handloads may have an impact on your warranty. Maybe. Dunno.

c3guns
02-13-10, 21:54
PM Just sent...

hello all...first post here. I have enjoyed trying to catch up.

First i'm more of a long range bolt guy, who knows nothing about "black guns" but have always wanted one. I have always been afraid I would make the wrong buy and be stuck with or be forced to upgrade a poor purchase. I was very happy to find "the chart" and have decided to go with the Colt. My question is, I'm tempted to go with the 6940. Is the rail system worth the extra money? Are the after market rails that I could add to the 6920 that would be better than what comes on the 6940? Is the only difference between the two models the rail system?
Thanks for the help.

Just so you know i can buy the 6920 for 1200.00 and expect to buy the 6940 for no more than 1450.00.

Daekwan
02-13-10, 22:00

Do yourself a favour and pick up a copy of the Art of the Tactical Carbine by Magpul. You really dont need part 2, just get the original 1.

It will teach you all the basics about your rifle. How to maintain it, disassemble, shoot it, sling it, clean it, lube it, store it. It teaches you the absolute essentials every AR owner should know.. even about safety and clearing/fixing malfunctions.

Evil Colt 6920
02-13-10, 22:04
Congrats on your new 6920:D I was in your shoes once and made the same choice. You cant go wrong with the 6920. The 6940 is a nice weapon but its just not my style. The monolithic upper and front site steered me away from it.

AtownBcat
02-14-10, 00:46
Oh, one more thing. What are realistic accuracy expectations for this weapon? I realize it is a factory gun and of the different AR platforms, this is not thought of as the "target" version...still what should I expect? Of coarse I know it all depends on the guy behind the trigger, lets just assume i do my part.

Fuzzy-Reticle
02-14-10, 11:59
Depending on ammo and how you shoot a 6940 should produce 1.5"-1.0" groups at 100m give or take. Practical accuracy is different than mechanical accuracy.

It will shoot better than most commercial rifles like a DPMS, RRA or Bushmaster with a similar barrel configuration.

The 6920 as you know has a 1-7 twist rate and will probably like the heavier bullets but should do just fine with the common 55gr. There are many posts on this subject here and on other boards.

Best advice is to buy several boxes of ammunition from different companies and different weight bullets and shoot them and see what the rifle "likes" best. When you are happy with the results stick with that brand and weight.

Just my two cents.

Happy shooting.

rickyc
05-03-13, 21:18
Trust me, you will never kick yourself for buying anything Colt makes. I have a 6920 and absolutely love it. You can always add rails to the 6920 in the future if you want them, if you didn't like the rails on the 6940, you would have been stuck with it.

To answer the clean/lube question, yes. You will find some good cleaning instructions on the forum with videos to demonstrate a proper cleaning.

At any rate, you are going to love your purchase!!! You are getting the standard by which all others are judged.

Got my 6920 M 4 LE xxxx today - didn't know what to expect in the box. No handle, flip-up rear sight, standard Colt forearm. Might like to add a Magpul angled foregrip, but have heard it won't attach. The Colt forend has holes in it, top and bottom, but what and how can you attach stuff to it? Someone mentioned a bolt-on bottom rail. Another mentioned a drop in Magpul MOE forend, but I wouldn't know how to get the Colt one off and drop in the the MOE one?

As to lubing - I hear people shoot it wet - how wet, and wet with what? CLP? Lithium grease?

I've settled on 55 gr. for home defense. Supposed to tumble?

I'm thinking Aimpoint or Ecotech optic - no scopes but short range red dot. Opinions?

Thanks from an old M-14 era Marine!

Almost forgot to mention - DSG Arms in Ft. Worth held to my original December backorder price - $995 - couldn't believe it. They also shipped my PMag order when no one else had them.

Safetyhit
05-03-13, 21:23

No sir, it is not supposed to, nor does it, tumble when fired from the stated rifle within reasonable home defense ranges. But there are much better home defense options, read up here a bit: http://m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91

Hope you enjoy it.

Edit: Jeez man, just realized this is a 3 year old thread. You must have been doing some searching.

Iraqgunz
05-04-13, 03:35
You have resurrected a thread that is 3 years old. I suggest that you spend a little time to do some reading and research.

Got my 6920 M 4 LE xxxx today - didn't know what to expect in the box. No handle, flip-up rear sight, standard Colt forearm. Might like to add a Magpul angled foregrip, but have heard it won't attach. The Colt forend has holes in it, top and bottom, but what and how can you attach stuff to it? Someone mentioned a bolt-on bottom rail. Another mentioned a drop in Magpul MOE forend, but I wouldn't know how to get the Colt one off and drop in the the MOE one?

As to lubing - I hear people shoot it wet - how wet, and wet with what? CLP? Lithium grease?

I'm thinking Aimpoint or Ecotech optic - no scopes but short range red dot. Opinions?

Thanks from an old M-14 era Marine!

Almost forgot to mention - DSG Arms in Ft. Worth held to my original December backorder price - $995 - couldn't believe it. They also shipped my PMag order when no one else had them.

rickyc
05-04-13, 16:10
Well, I didn't mean to break any rules about only posting on recent threads. My questions seemed to fit my search so I just asked. Sorry about that.