PDA

View Full Version : First IDPA match today

QuietShootr
04-07-07, 14:52
well, I guess it wasn't a match, but a classifier. It was 24 degrees, so I shot it from concealment under my winter coat (my Warrior in a Blade-tech IWB). I was a little disappointed with my final score, but I guess I did okay for a first time considering adverse conditions. Only one miss of 90 shots fired, though, which was a hell of a lot better than most of the others I saw.

Anyone else shoot IDPA?

Robb Jensen
04-07-07, 16:19
Yes I've shot it for 2yrs.

Expert in SSP, Sharpshooter ESP and CDP, unclassified in Rev.

QuietShootr
04-07-07, 17:32
Hm. I landed solidly in Sharpshooter in CDP. The RO said that was pretty good for a first effort.

Robb Jensen
04-08-07, 14:15
Hm. I landed solidly in Sharpshooter in CDP. The RO said that was pretty good for a first effort.

Good job.

9x19
04-08-07, 14:31
I think you did well for your first match. Good show!

QuietShootr
04-08-07, 17:42
I think you did well for your first match. Good show!

The sad thing is that I had a brain fart on one of the early strings that cost me about six seconds. I stopped before I was supposed to.:eek: if not for that, and that single miss, I might have made Expert.

Oh well. Another match in three weeks.

rhino
04-08-07, 21:08
Where did you shoot? Hamilton Co. F&G?

rob_s
04-09-07, 05:40
I've been shooting IDPA for about 4 years. Contrary to IDPA rules I haven't shot a classifier in probably two years or more. I'm classified sharpshooter in SSP and marksman in CDP, which works well for me because I don't "game" the stages.

Robb Jensen
04-09-07, 06:08
I've been shooting IDPA for about 4 years. Contrary to IDPA rules I haven't shot a classifier in probably two years or more. I'm classified sharpshooter in SSP and marksman in CDP, which works well for me because I don't "game" the stages.

How does one 'game' the classifier ?

I've seen people 'sandbag' the classifier, meaning intentionally shooting like crap so that they classify lower than their actual skill level.

But I don't see how you could 'game' (meaning stretching the rules) on the classifier.

QuietShootr
04-09-07, 06:19
Where did you shoot? Hamilton Co. F&G?

Yup....

rhino
04-09-07, 14:50
How does one 'game' the classifier ?

I've seen people 'sandbag' the classifier, meaning intentionally shooting like crap so that they classify lower than their actual skill level.

But I don't see how you could 'game' (meaning stretching the rules) on the classifier.

Good question. The closest I can conceive is setting-up the stages and shooting them over and over (i.e. practicing the classifier match specifically). I'm not sure if I would call that gaming, though, as you're really just practicing some fundamentals.

It seems like a lot of work too (i.e. practicing) :D I try to avoid it at all costs. The only times I've shot the classifier stages have been in matches. Maybe that's why I'm two missed head shots away from Expert. :D Practice (outside of matches) is cheating! HAHA!

rhino
04-09-07, 14:52
Yup....

Ah, Jeff B. forgot to tell me about it! And it's one of the few times I could make it to that club this year.

mayonaise
04-09-07, 21:33
There are a lot of Masters around that got there by shooting the classifier over and over. While there's nothing wrong with that what happens more often than not is it takes them longer to really shoot consistent master scores in big matches. Personally I'd rather move up shooting against my peers. But either way is legit. Different strokes for different folks. I know when I shoot well I place well. I shoot IDPA to have a good time with my friends. Anything else is a bonus.

Robb Jensen
04-09-07, 22:09
There are a lot of Masters around that got there by shooting the classifier over and over. While there's nothing wrong with that what happens more often than not is it takes them longer to really shoot consistent master scores in big matches. Personally I'd rather move up shooting against my peers. But either way is legit. Different strokes for different folks. I know when I shoot well I place well. I shoot IDPA to have a good time with my friends. Anything else is a bonus.

I call people who do this 'paper Masters', some do it in USPSA as well. They'll shoot classifiers like 20 times and keep the best score and sent it in but then do very poorly at matches. I suck on USPSA classifiers but do pretty well in matches. Most USPSA classifiers rarely require movement and/or very many rounds. When I first started shooting USPSA I was a middle C class shooter now I'm a B class shooter 5% from A class.
I'd rather have great match performance than be a crappy Master level shooter who's beat a lot by shooters with lower classifications.

I usually perform at the Master level in IDPA (SSP division) and at local matches even though I'm classified as an Expert SSP shooter. The Master level between USPSA and IDPA isn't equal. Most B class shooters in USPSA can perform at the Master level in IDPA.

mayonaise
04-09-07, 23:05
The Master level between USPSA and IDPA isn't equal. Most B class shooters in USPSA can perform at the Master level in IDPA.

I agree. But I also see it as apples and oranges. USPSA gives the shooter the benefit of dry run rehearsals and the scoring rewards speed over accuracy. The USPSA/IPSC ballet stages never appealed to me at all. I prefer the step up and shoot principle behind IDPA. Different strokes for different folks. Anyone who shoots is my brother/sister.:D

Sam
04-12-07, 19:35
I'm a "paper master". :cool:

mayonaise
04-12-07, 20:40

We don't hold that against you bro!

Robb Jensen
04-12-07, 21:38

That's cool.
I know someone who just got Master but last year shot 37 classifiers, definately a 'paper Master', I beat this guy about 50% of the time at matches. If I was a 'paper Master' or paper anything and got beat by a B class shooter at a match, I'd be a little more than embarrassed.

I think the whole 'classifier' thing should be changed. I think they should use the sum of your whole match performance as a measure of your skill. I think this would stop the 'sandbagging'.