PDA

View Full Version : How much does a fender cost?

Belmont31R
02-13-10, 11:01
:(

Wife decided to back up into my car...only damage that I can tell is the fender.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/CAR1-1.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/CAR2-2.jpg

Lynn Freshly
02-13-10, 11:06
Looks like she got the hood also. You won't like the price when you get an estimate. Body work is expensive. My wife had aguy run into her new Altima and take out both right side doors. It came to $3400.

Lynn

Belmont31R
02-13-10, 11:15
Looks like she got the hood also. You won't like the price when you get an estimate. Body work is expensive. My wife had aguy run into her new Altima and take out both right side doors. It came to $3400.

Lynn

Hood is fine. Just the slope and shadow makes it look weird I guess.

Her car (Jeep Liberty) just has a smudge mark on the corner of the back bumper.

Hoss356
02-13-10, 11:30
Don't forget most modern cars hide damage behind the bumper as the bumper "pops" back after small impacts, so I'd double check her car from underneath it. If I owned a 300hp rwd sports car and needed a front fender I'd check the junkyards as I'm sure more than one dumbass has swapped ends in a corner and wrecked leaving the front fenders intact. Plus, I've looked at enough 350z's to know there are an ass-ton of silver ones out there.

perna
02-13-10, 11:39
Paint is the biggest thing, even if you get the same color quarter panel it might not match at all. If you find one that is the wrong color by the time you paint it and get it put on it will be expensive. At least ask your insurance company what it will cost, if it ends up more when you figure in the deductible and the work then you can do it yourself.

markdh720
02-13-10, 13:06
Having some experience with body work, these guys are right. The actual fender will probably be less than $200. The painting and labor is what will bring it up to around (more or less) $700, assuming nothing else needs replacing/repair. Some shops will try to cut the price if you pay yourself, rather than dealing with claims and insurance companies. Let the shop know that you are considering both options and they might give you both prices.

From what I remember, silver was an easy color to match to existing paint when painting a new piece, compared to red and white which were difficult to match.

kmrtnsn
02-13-10, 14:49
That'll be about $3,200.00 bucks based on my last little brush up. Don't open the hood until it gets to the body shop, based on the pic it looks like it is binding on the fender; that'll be another $1,800.00 if you bend it.

kmrtnsn
02-13-10, 14:54
"The actual fender will probably be less than $200"

For a Nissan Z? $304.38, heavily discounted. Paint and labor extra.

glockshooter
02-13-10, 17:48
I have no idea what the fender would cost but I would be pissed.

javentre
02-13-10, 17:51
It could be a lot worse. If I had to pick one panel to get dinged, it'd be the front quarter.

markdh720
02-14-10, 00:12
Let me correct myself because I was tired and didn't explain myself. I figure $700 for just the fender, prep and paint. You would be doing the removal and install yourself for that price. $3200 sound a little steep, but not by much, especially using a factory Nissan fender, which is probably where that $304 comes from(?). I dealt with Toyota for the most part and their fenders and door skins were cheap I guess. Don't use aftermarket body parts as they need more work to fit right.

kmrtnsn
02-14-10, 00:42
Mark, I don't know what shop rate is where you are from but you are looking at 3 hrs just to RNR the headlight from that fender and bumper. Re-align the hood? Add another 2 hours. I could go on and on. Earl Schieb might do the repair for $700.00 but it is going to look like a shit repair. Want it done right and to look right get it to a Nissan authorized body shop. Quality work costs money.

Belmont31R
02-14-10, 00:48
Mark, I don't know what shop rate is where you are from but you are looking at 3 hrs just to RNR the headlight from that fender and bumper. Re-align the hood? Add another 2 hours. I could go on and on. Earl Schieb might do the repair for $700.00 but it is going to look like a shit repair. Want it done right and to look right get it to a Nissan authorized body shop. Quality work costs money.

Yeah I am going to call the local Nissan dealer on Monday and see who they recommend. Definitely want OEM replacement parts, proper fitment, and color match.

kmrtnsn
02-14-10, 00:55
Belmont, good luck getting it fixed. I always wanted to drive the 370. Somewhere around here I have the promo CD of some guy racing a Z through the streets of Prague, pretty cool.

Belmont31R
02-14-10, 00:58
Belmont, good luck getting it fixed. I always wanted to drive the 370. Somewhere around here I have the promo CD of some guy racing a Z through the streets of Prague, pretty cool.

For some reason I don't like the exterior looks of the 370. I do like the G37 a lot though. Great cars, and the 35 series engines kick ass.

markdh720
02-14-10, 14:43

Like I said, $700 would just be for the fender and painting it and doing most of the work yourself. The average labor rate around here is just under $100, so four hours of labor just to prep and paint plus the ~$300 for the fender is where i get the $700 figure. But now that I think about all the fender liner clips and little BS that will probably come up, it's probably over $800 then. I don't like paying shops for services when I can pay my technician friends directly to help me do the work.

If my advice is followed to ask for a quote for self-pay, they might shave a couple hours off of the total labor charge in a time where many shops are desperate for work and many technicians are getting laid off. Three grand for a new fender professionally installed, assuming nothing else is jacked up, is about right. And $304 is MSRP for OEM on factorynissanparts.com which is Nissan of McKinney in TX, and is not "heavily discounted".

Belmont31R
02-16-10, 14:10
Got two estimates today, and will be going with one of them.

$1080 for the first one, and $1180 for the 2nd.

Went with the 2nd shop as they seemed quite a bit more professional and in depth in their evaluation. Looked online and the 1st place got mixed reviews.

Repair includes new OEM fender, paint, install, and blending in the door and hood. Should be 3 day turn around when they get the parts in which should be later today or tomorrow AM.

Rock Nova
02-16-10, 16:01
"The actual fender will probably be less than $200"

For a Nissan Z? $304.38, heavily discounted. Paint and labor extra.

The Nissan dealer I always order parts from (Courtesy Nissan in TX) has the fender for $235.59 with no discount.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[63100]+\%28z33&cPath=714_715_824_827

They have a great website for ordering OEM Nissan parts. www.courtesyparts.com

javentre
02-16-10, 16:07
The Nissan dealer I always order parts from (Courtesy Nissan in TX)

I use them as well, they are a good company to deal with.

JLSKIP
02-16-10, 16:38
I usually can find something like this on www.car-parts.com It's a database of most of the wreck/parts yards in the nation. With more common vehicles you can often find a car that might have been rear ended, but has clean parts in the front. You can get even luckier and find one that has the same paint color as your car which would make painting it unnecessary. Your car is a little less common though :(

99HMC4
02-16-10, 17:33
I own a body shop. My cost on a Z fender is about $40.00. Really. A good shop will paint the fender, hood and door. Should only run $1000.00. ANd theres nothing behind the fender, they are made to get hit, so they wont put anything behind them...:rolleyes: