PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Lock Plate Staking Tool?

CapnCrunch
07-12-06, 00:11
Anyone know if there's a purpose built tool out there to stake the receiver lock plate? I've just been using a punch, but its a chore to get it to not look like complete crap.

Thanks in advance!

Nitrox
07-12-06, 00:53
let me know if you find one.

Robb Jensen
07-12-06, 04:54
I use a punch as well, sometimes I use a 1911 front sight staking tool. I touch the stakes up with cold blue.

mark5pt56
07-12-06, 21:26
I've found a center punch works extremely well. Center it on the end plate with a slight angle back towards the extension and do a light tap to start it, then one or two whacks will do. The Colts seem to be more of a rectangular shape tool face.

Afterwards, degrease, and cold blue and oil, looks like you knew what you were doing!

Mark

Nitrox
07-12-06, 21:38
I have a number of plates I bought a few years back that are really hard. I used a center punch but it was not effective. I have a broken .125" punch I and going to grind flat and try.

I know people say not to use lock-tite but I have had success just using it on the locking ring.

I'm a lock-tite addict.

CapnCrunch
07-12-06, 22:36
I use Rocksett a lot lately, but there's no way in heck I'm gonna Rocksett the castle nut on there. I've damaged enough receiver extensions to know better... Loctite wouldn't be nearly as bad though.

I'm mainly looking for something I can use for production lowers that won't look like my personal guns look. The center punch doesn't work so well on the lock plates that I use most of the time, and the ground screwdriver or punch just looks like crap. On my personal guns I really don't care, but if someone's paying for a high end rifle, that would be unacceptable.

Thanks!

Robb Jensen
07-13-06, 05:58
The easiest ones to stake with a punch I've found so far are the CQD ones with the single point sling loops.

Pic of mine on my SBR.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/CQD.jpg

Grant sells them.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cqd_files/cqd_rsm.htm

Aubrey
07-13-06, 11:57
I've been hesitant to use aluminum end plates like the Daniel Defense Burnse Loop, because I wasn't sure what would happen when I tried to stake it ( I don't trust Locktite for this). Has anybody had any experience staking aluminum end plates?

Lumpy196
07-13-06, 17:38
I've been hesitant to use aluminum end plates like the Daniel Defense Burnse Loop, because I wasn't sure what would happen when I tried to stake it ( I don't trust Locktite for this). Has anybody had any experience staking aluminum end plates?

Yup, used the same size punch that drives the bolt catch pin. Havent had the least bit of problem with damaging tubes or having them come loose, no matter what combo of parts Ive used.

LOKNLOD
07-13-06, 18:46
At the great personal risk of sounding totally ignorant, could someone please explain (or better yet, illustrate) what/where/how/why you are doing this staking? Maybe it's something I have just overlooked, but I've never noticed any staking on the plate.

Thanks.

Lumpy196
07-16-06, 15:14
Because while a wrench tightened castle nut may hold for moderate range play, it wont under heavy use.

OMG...Tally. I just saw your initial post. - YOU WENT SOFT

[QUOTE= but its a chore to get it to not look like complete crap.

[/QUOTE]

GIFFMANN
07-16-06, 16:55

VLTOR makes a steel sling plate that is quite similar to the Burnsed Loop. Might be a good option for you.

Aubrey
07-16-06, 19:51
Giff,
Roger that. I used the Vltor in lieu of the DD because it was steel. I got mine from WES, but I've yet to see them listed for sale by anyone.

GIFFMANN
07-18-06, 13:53
Giff,
Roger that. I used the Vltor in lieu of the DD because it was steel. I got mine from WES, but I've yet to see them listed for sale by anyone.

I've actually got a couple of extra ones if you're needing. Not even sure of pricing as they are not on my price list, but I'll find out.

giff

M193 BALL
08-25-06, 13:19
I used a small punch1/16 myself ! My VLTOR hasnt came loose yet.
Looks like LMT used the same size as well on my DEFENDER

Harv
08-25-06, 17:21
Here is the stake job LMT did on My Defender Lower I just got recently
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/IMG_1131.jpg

M193 BALL
08-25-06, 21:54
My Defender/sopmod looks about the same.
Except not as deep?
maybe a Girl did it:D

BTW I also got the single sling adapt LMT sells wich turns out to be a TANGO
LMT lowers ROCK