PDA

View Full Version : G2 Upgrade

ra2bach
02-13-10, 17:29
I have a few Surefire G2 flashlights salted around my house and in my cars, etc. but I got them before I realized the LED was desirable.

I know you can upgrade them with an LED head and there are several available. Surefire makes their own, Tactical Night Vision (TNVC) has a Cree Q5k head, and I think Malkoff has an upgrade available for the G series lights.

anybody have any experience or recommendation?

LonghunterCO
02-13-10, 19:06
If you look at the LED version of the G2 you will see that they are spoting an aluminum bezel. This is to help with carrying away heat from the LED. So any updates to our G2 should also include a upgrading to the aluminum bezel. The ones you mentioned are the main players as to which one of their offerings at chose from you need to ask yourself what you are wanting to do with it?

-Malkoff is running a special for Feb. on a couple of his lower output LED drop-in units.

ra2bach
02-14-10, 13:29
If you look at the LED version of the G2 you will see that they are spoting an aluminum bezel. This is to help with carrying away heat from the LED. So any updates to our G2 should also include a upgrading to the aluminum bezel. The ones you mentioned are the main players as to which one of their offerings at chose from you need to ask yourself what you are wanting to do with it?

-Malkoff is running a special for Feb. on a couple of his lower output LED drop-in units.

yep, I see that use of the metal head for use as a heat sink. but I'm told, that intermittent use on the G2 will not harm it. and some kits even replace the entire head with a metal one but those are more expensive than just the lamp kits. at some point, upgrading is more expensive than just starting over and keeping the plain G2 lights as general purpose lights.

thanks for the hint on Malkoff. I'm heading over there to see what's up...

MattC
02-14-10, 13:38
Malkoff dropins come with their own heat sink built in. I currently have two that I use on duty. One in a G2Z and one in a plane G2. The G2 is mounted on my rifle. Neither use an aluminum head and both have been outstanding performers.

Matt

CavReconScout
02-14-10, 15:38
I have been running a TNVC LED in my G2LED on my patrol carbine for just over a year. It is has been problem free and is bright as hell. I have had no problems running the Surefire LED in a regular G2, but then I don't let it run continuously either.

ST911
02-15-10, 13:06
Malkoff is GTG. I have several.

Trustworthy folks say the same thing about TNVC. I hope to use and abuse some soon.

ra2bach
02-15-10, 18:59
thanks guys. I think either the Malkoff or the TNVC is what I'll go with. heck, maybe I'll get one of each and report back on my preference :cool:

I see that both of these are comparable in price. However, Lumens Factory has their D26 series lamp for roughly half the cost ($24-$28). are these apples/apples???

tip2oo3
02-16-10, 09:54
I'm also a big fan of the TNVC lamp, WAYYYYY brighter than my lamp that came in my 6p LED.

LonghunterCO
03-12-10, 18:38
but then I don't let it run continuously either.

I think that that is the key. Malkoff has stated that with his drop-ins that he recomends either the light body or the bezel to be made of metal (for heat dissapation). With limited on-time that would probably not be an issue.

markm
03-12-10, 18:47
If they're just car lights, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd save the Malkoff funds for weapon lights and just buy some Solarforce Cree assemblies for 1/3 the price. Those are what I'm running on my ARs now since you can't get a Malkoff M60 or M61 due to demand.

The G2's bigger downside is the shitty tailcap/switch. But again... if you have it for a utility light... It might be good enough.