PDA

View Full Version : Badger Ordnance Tactical Latch

Mojo58
04-07-07, 23:15
I was checking out my buddy's Badger Tactical Latch on his RRA AR last night and really liked the way it felt on the heel of my palm. I normally wear gloves so it's never been an issue for me but without gloves, it got me thinking about putting it on my M15 carbine charging handle. Do you guys ever have issues with the latch hanging up on your gear when it's slung on your chest? Are their any issues that any of you have experienced that I should consider before adding it to my rifle?

PQR
04-07-07, 23:40
Had one on mine for the last two years, no problems. I like Gen 1 better than Gen 2 but that is just shooter preference. The big thing I would consider is what else do you have at that level of your weapon? Any other latches that you could get caught on in the heat of the moment such as optic mounts or something something behind the charging handle on the stock that might get in the way.

stay safe

GNXII
04-15-07, 14:42
Try and replace the roll pin when you swap out the standard latch for the Badger Tac Latch. The old pin might not "like" the different force being applied to it i.e. snap off. I not sure where I read it but I know someone makes a heavier (?) pin one to replace the standard one when a Tac latch is installed.
All in all a great product! :D

Mojo58
04-15-07, 20:20
thanks! Good to know. I'll look into it.

SuicideHz
04-15-07, 22:42
I had the GenI for awhile. Didn't like it much. It provided a lot of real estate for pulling against but almost too much. Then I bought the GenII. It was the perfect size but it stabbed me one day while I was carrying my rifle.

I bought the PRI and never looked back. The angle they are set at helps a bunch too. I will never buy any other gimmicky latch again.

The PRI is the best. -Now the PRI Flat latch on the other hand... that's a different story...

KevinB
04-16-07, 04:51
The gen1 will rub on gear -- we noticed that they where abrading the uppers (where it latches).

I really recommend that people not use them or any of the large handles -- they will exert more force that the handle was designed for -- and will cause it to bind (maybe not always) but we saw an enormous increase in broken and bend handles when these where fitted.

-- the PRI BagBuster (yes its expensive) is a much more robust system -- providing both the big latch (yet small enough not to snag) and the stronger handle is a better way (in my less than humble opinion) to get a large charging handle.

If your on a budget then PRI does sell the Fat "military" latch seperately.

Snake RAH
04-16-07, 12:12
I was checking out my buddy's Badger Tactical Latch on his RRA AR last night and really liked the way it felt on the heel of my palm. I normally wear gloves so it's never been an issue for me but without gloves, it got me thinking about putting it on my M15 carbine charging handle. Do you guys ever have issues with the latch hanging up on your gear when it's slung on your chest?

I did. When I'd have the rifle slung across my chest, the latch (Gen 1) would grab on my shirt or vest or whatever.

Are their any issues that any of you have experienced that I should consider before adding it to my rifle?

For me, the Badger latch (Gen 1) is good for scoped guns where the eyepiece bell sits over or near the charging handle. However, I prefer the PRI latch for my scoped guns...it does the same job and is lower profile.

xenophobe
04-16-07, 15:56
I really recommend that people not use them or any of the large handles -- they will exert more force that the handle was designed for -- and will cause it to bind (maybe not always) but we saw an enormous increase in broken and bend handles when these where fitted.

-- the PRI BagBuster (yes its expensive) is a much more robust system -- providing both the big latch (yet small enough not to snag) and the stronger handle is a better way (in my less than humble opinion) to get a large charging handle.

I really like the way that the Tac Latch works, but don't own one because it's infamous for rubbing and jabbing...

I hate the feel of the PRI Big Latch... Makes me cringe every time I touch one. I do like how the gas venting is done on the handle though.

ST911
04-22-07, 22:32
Badger Ord latches were standard on agency and I/O carbines for a period of time several years ago. They did indeed snag, but the bother of it was subjective.

The charging handles on the good-as guns really took a beating with them. The better guns, less so.

Some of those latches remain, most are gone. As are the good-as guns.