PDA

View Full Version : What is specifically wrong with Model1sales

Spike59
02-14-10, 07:09
I am presently toying with the idea of buying a 6.8 upper for my Colt Hbar. Model1sales is the only company which advertises a standard 20 inch configuration. I have been pouring over the forum and I get that some people have had problems in the past and I would like to know what they are so I don't buy some POS that will cause me problems in the future. Thanks !

QuietShootr
02-14-10, 09:10
I am presently toying with the idea of buying a 6.8 upper for my Colt Hbar. Model1sales is the only company which advertises a standard 20 inch configuration. I have been pouring over the forum and I get that some people have had problems in the past and I would like to know what they are so I don't buy some POS that will cause me problems in the future. Thanks !

Shitty parts of unknown origin. What more do you need to know?

m4fun
02-14-10, 10:20
Spike - learn the "search" feature - they dont even have a good rap on TOS. In short, long ago, they were are bottom feeder with M&A etc(they are actually related) for instance, before I knew better(early 90s) I bought their LPKs for spare parts and what would then become a new build. Nothing like bolt open snapping off to give you configdence...TWICE!

That said, not sure where they stand today - maybe have gotten much better and if they resell a name brand item at a good price, your choice on giving them business.

Failure2Stop
02-14-10, 11:29
Asking about M1S here is like going to a motorcycle racing forum and asking about a 150cc Vespa.

ra2bach
02-14-10, 13:01
Asking about M1S here is like going to a motorcycle racing forum and asking about a 150cc Vespa.

hey... a LOT of the racers I know love the Vespa!

it's what we used to get around in the pits...

:p

bkb0000
02-14-10, 13:10
due to the packs of "rockabilly" kids on perpetually malfunctioning vespas that rove around Portland, i can't help but hold the position that vespas are hella gay

TOrrock
02-14-10, 13:16
Poor QC, unknown parts origin, crap parts.

I was in a class that had two guys running Mod.1 uppers and BOTH snapped their bolts within 200 rounds. No shit.

CavReconScout
02-14-10, 15:42
Unless they have changed recently, they run a 1/9.5" twist with a regular SAMI chamber in their 6.8 SPC, which is exactly what you don't want.

wake.joe
02-14-10, 16:43
due to the packs of "rockabilly" kids on perpetually malfunctioning vespas that rove around Portland, i can't help but hold the position that vespas are hella gay

Absolute truth.

GermanSynergy
02-14-10, 16:44

I was in a class that had two guys running Mod.1 uppers and BOTH snapped their bolts within 200 rounds. No shit.

200 rds? Holy crap!

QuietShootr
02-14-10, 17:06
[onefromthevaults]Must have been all that fried chicken grease on the parts.[/oftv]

Heavy Metal
02-14-10, 17:09

Ah yes! The instructor dubbed them Team Model-1! I remember it well.

I think they were getting all kinds of FTE's before the bolt bifurcated itself.

Moral O' Story. Don't bring an AR to a class that cost less than the class itself.

CLHC
02-14-10, 17:51
Moral O' Story. Don't bring an AR to a class that cost less than the class itself.
Whoa Hey Mai! Now that's funny! :D

Spike59
02-14-10, 20:12
I thank you all for the insight into the Model1 ARs. I definitely do not need anything that is going to cost me more money in the long run. I am just trying to get a decent 6.8 upper for my Colt lower without dishing out a wad of cash. Hell, I might not even like a 6.8 after I build it!

CavReconScout
02-14-10, 20:25
I have a 16" Stag 6.8 upper. It is one of the older ones with the 1/10" twist and SPCII chamber. My dealer wanted to get one to check it out, and sold it to me for around $475. It's around 1 1/2yrs old.

The new ones come with a 1/11" twist, and SPC II chamber. You can pick one up for about what the Model 1 would cost, and it has better specs. It will come without M4 extensions, but that hasn't been an issue with mine using CProducts mags. I like mine so much I am now saving for a 20" Stag Hunter 6.8. You could add sights to the Hunter and it would be like a freefloated HBAR. :)

randolph
02-14-10, 21:34
Noveske is showing several different 6.8 configurations in stock.
spend once, cry once.... :D

m4fun
02-14-10, 21:39
Ah yes! The instructor dubbed them Team Model-1! I remember it well.

I almost forgot that - Templar, Heavy Metal and I were at that class. Team Model-1 and the "model 1 gang" if I recall right. They were "that guy"

TOrrock
02-14-10, 22:42
200 rds? Holy crap!

I don't know how many rounds they had through them before the class, but it wasn't a very high round count.

Battlepack
02-15-10, 09:00
I don't know how many rounds they had through them before the class, but it wasn't a very high round count.

I remember, and it was no more than a couple hundred rounds. The look on LAV's face when he was informed the second bolt was fubared was priceless. Team Model-1 for the win.:D

tirod
02-15-10, 11:10
After the choice of vendors, barrel length selection came to mind. The 6.8 is the goal in my build, and I toyed around with barrel lengths. The one thing I concluded is the extra four inches wouldn't pay it's way.

The 6.8 is a short barrel carbine round already, and there are plenty of ballistic tables out there to show it won't gain much in velocity with longer barrels. It's optimized at 16 to 18". Bison, White Oak, and many others can get you set up in that length, you will get what you pay for, and not cry later when it doesn't break.

What you will also get is a handier carbine to carry and use. As for range and effective reach, paying more for the better barrel with correct specs will get more accuracy and higher velocity.

That's more important than the length. A SPCII chamber, 1 in 11 or 12 twist creates less peak pressure. You then get to shoot hotter loads.

Check out 68forums for more detailed info. It's a goldmine for 6.8 enthusiasts and they list exactly who makes the correct spec barrels.

Spiffums
02-15-10, 11:39

Princess Vespa daughter of Roland KING OF THE DRUIDS!

Chadzillaa
02-15-10, 13:28
I have a Model 1 Sales upper and it runs completely flawless. Never have had a single malfunction in over 2000 rounds with some rapid fire abuse along the way. tisk tisk you elitists with your Noveske's and BCMs. You guys are tooooo cool.

bulbvivid
02-15-10, 13:32
I have a Model 1 Sales upper and it runs completely flawless. Never have had a single malfunction in over 2000 rounds with some rapid fire abuse along the way. tisk tisk you elitists with your Noveske's and BCMs. You guys are tooooo cool.

I had a Model 1 Sales upper that had a fancy canted gas block and liked to pop 5.56 primers. The "dispose after 300 rounds" gas rings were pretty sweet too.

bkb0000
02-15-10, 13:33

nobody is saying all model 1 sales uppers will malf or break. most will not.. maybe even a pretty vast majority will not- even if run hard. 75%? 85%? who knows... but whatever the case, the quantity that HAVE broken or been malf prone is just way too high. so whether you're "likely" to have problems or not, its up to the individual to decide how acceptable those odds are.

with a tier 1 weapon, your probability of a premature failure drop by multiples

so why bother posting a gay remark like this?

Skyyr
02-15-10, 14:48

I'm not an elitist; I just like knowing my stuff is the best that it can possibly be. Being expensive doesn't make something nice, but nice things are usually expensive. The irony is that those who try to skimp initially (and do so for "anti-elitist" reasons) typically end up spending more in the long run than the "elitist guy" who made a small sacrifice and payed extra for quality. It's one of those things that go something like "If you have to ask why, you wouldn't understand." I'm wiling to pay the price to have my nice rifles (and flaunt them around in photos... it's fun!).

I'll take my $4,000 Noveske build any day over a Model 1 Build-a-Bomb ;) Or 5 of them.

bkb0000
02-15-10, 15:14
here's some threads.. these are just off the top. read the posts.. there isn't a single of of these that doesn't contain M4C members who have first-hand problems with M1S.

how many similar threads do we have for LMT or Colt or Noveske or BCM?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31567
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=20426&highlight=model+sales
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=25122
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16978
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=25649 - no conclusion, but there it is
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=440128 - them selling guns advertised as "colts" but without colt barrels
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4664

fdxpilot
02-15-10, 16:31

And there are millions of Toyotas that haven't uncontrollably run away, but the company put out a poor enough design that all are being recalled. Just because you got a Model 1 rifle that works doesn't mean there aren't many that won't.

LeonCarr
02-18-10, 20:01
On top of all that, if you tried to order something online during the rush, the wait was forever. Then when you see them at the DFW area gun shows, they have HUNDREDS of upper halves and tons of parts. Why don't they fill the existing orders for stuff that people have already bought, instead of using their in stock parts for gun show stuff?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

bkb0000
02-18-10, 23:09
On top of all that, if you tried to order something online during the rush, the wait was forever. Then when you see them at the DFW area gun shows, they have HUNDREDS of upper halves and tons of parts. Why don't they fill the existing orders for stuff that people have already bought, instead of using their in stock parts for gun show stuff?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

same reason as all the shady dealers- they were getting away with 6+ month orders.

da pricks.

Mauser KAR98K
02-19-10, 08:38

Them ain't Rockabilly kids...them be MODS! Real Rockabilly guys run Norton's, Triumphs, and the occasional BSA. It's the Mods that run the Vespas.

As for Model One Sales. I'd stay away. Cheaper ain't always better, even if they make the "only one" of your desires. I'm sure you could find a stripped 6.8 upper and possibly shop around for a barrel.

C4IGrant
02-19-10, 08:59

Can you tell us what is right with M1S?

If you are just looking for a range toy, dirt shooting plinker buy whatever you want (as it really doesn't matter if it runs or not).

C4

C4IGrant
02-19-10, 09:08

No need to get upset. Your M1S may run forever using the worst ammo without ever being cleaned or lubed.

You have basically what amounts to a statistical sampling of ONE! So you really have to look at the bigger picture. If we took 500 M1S rifles and ran them through carbine schools with a round count of one thousand rounds, how many would run?

When you have a gun company that follows no set standard (meaning no TDP in place) then you get a company that is really only concerned with one thing. Money! How can I make this parts as cheap as possible and get the most money out of it?

If the above sounds like a recipe for succss, then I would suggest educating yourself some more about how an AR is supposed to be built.

C4