PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Fitness Standards...this aint good

WillBrink
02-14-10, 08:54
By KEVIN KRAUSE / The Dallas Morning News
kkrause@dallasnews.com

The dismal performance of the Dallas County Sheriff Department's latest training class has prompted officials to seek permission to lower the physical requirements for entry to the program.

Only five deputy recruits – out of more than 200 applicants – graduated from the most recent academy class.

Sheriff's officials said they also plan to hire a firm to study their admission standards to see whether they're too tough.

The department has about a dozen deputy vacancies to fill, Chief Deputy Joe Costa said. That number could grow to 25 after retirements and normal attrition if no positions are filled, he said.

Applicants who pass the written test to the academy also have to pass a physical agility test.

During the most recent application process, 206 signed up but only 39 passed the written exam. Of those, only 16 passed the physical fitness test. Eleven of them were eliminated for various reasons.

The physical test requires applicants to complete a "sit and reach" test, a vertical leap, 21 push-ups and 29 sit-ups. Applicants also must complete a 300-meter run in 72 seconds and a 1 ½ -mile run in less than 16 minutes, 28 seconds.

Costa said the department wants to lower those standards only for entry into the academy. After 12 weeks, cadets would have to meet the initial standards to stay in the 20-week program, he said.

The department plans to submit its request to the sheriff's civil service commission, which oversees such rule changes, when it meets next week.

County Commissioner John Wiley Price said he isn't sure he wants entrance standards to be lowered. If some recruits can't pass after 12 weeks in the academy, then that's wasted money, he said.

"I have too many questions looming out there. I don't want to drop a standard," he said.

Price said maybe the Sheriff Department should try to recruit better deputy candidates.

County Judge Jim Foster said he thinks the proposed change is a good idea.

"I think the objective is to get more recruits," he said. "Ultimately, they're either qualified or not."

The more lenient entrance standards will give applicants "a chance to get in shape," said Capt. David Mitchell, who is in charge of the sheriff's personnel division. "It's trying to throw the door open a little bit wider."

Mitchell said the change will make the application process more friendly to women and older applicants.

Costa said the current dozen deputy vacancies are "workable." But when deputies need to cover shifts in the jails because of short staffing, it can cause difficulties, he said.

"It's not overwhelming, but we would like to fill them [vacancies] so we can move people into traffic and warrants," Costa said.

ballistic
02-14-10, 09:15
Those entry requirements are pretty low already. Why not just eliminate them altogether (sarcasm)? If applicants have such low fitness levels, isn't that a sign of their lack of commitment already?

The more lenient entrance standards will give applicants "a chance to get in shape," said Capt. David Mitchell, who is in charge of the sheriff's personnel division. "It's trying to throw the door open a little bit wider."

Just make a wider door that they can fit their fat asses through? They're doing everyone a disservice.

WillBrink
02-14-10, 09:20
Just make a wider door that they can fit their fat asses through?

LOL, funny. :D

Even if out of shape - which can happen to the best of us - if you know you have such a test coming up and you know exactly what it requires, wouldn't you start training for it months in advance? Just sayin'...:rolleyes:

BushmasterFanBoy
02-14-10, 09:57

Even if out of shape - which can happen to the best of us - if you know you have such a test coming up and you know exactly what it requires, wouldn't you start training for it months in advance? Just sayin'...:rolleyes:

Yeah, myself being just an amateur, I can't understand why people who are going to need physical fitness as part of their job description wouldn't be trying even harder. :eek:

ballistic
02-14-10, 10:35

Exactly my point about the lack of fitness being an indication of lack of true commitment. If recruits aren't self motivated or have a competitive drive internally and externally to prepare themselves in advance, are those the types of unmotivated, ill prepared personality traits that should be reinforced by lowering entry requirements?

I agree that maintaining fitness can be a challenge due to a number of reasons, but not showing any effort or dedication to meet (exceed) already minimal fitness requirements should be an automatic disqualifier.

ballistic
02-14-10, 10:45
This explains a lot:

(Source: http://calorielab.com/news/2008/07/02/fattest-states-2008/)

http://calorielab.com/news/wp-images/post-images/fattest-states-2008-big.gif

theblackknight
02-14-10, 17:10
What are their standards? I enlisted bc the economy was bad and the dept had a flood of apps. I never figured 2.5% would be the grad rate.

WillBrink
02-14-10, 17:12
What are their standards? .

For that particular dept, listed above.

Heavy Metal
02-14-10, 17:12
WTF is a Sit and Reach?

21 Push-ups? I can do more than that Knuckle or Fingertip! That's lame!

Heavy Metal
02-14-10, 17:13
The physical test requires applicants to complete a "sit and reach" test, a vertical leap, 21 push-ups and 29 sit-ups. Applicants also must complete a 300-meter run in 72 seconds and a 1 ½ -mile run in less than 16 minutes, 28 seconds.

Be nice if they added a swim requirement.

If you are going to be a professional first responder, you need to know how to swim IMO.

Erk1015
02-14-10, 19:43
sit and reach is sitting on your butt with your feet straight out and spread apart a bit and then reaching as far as you can. The grader marks it and the distance is what the score is based off of.

I think a swim qual is a good idea, but probably won't happen for the fact that then they'd have to have qualified staff to run it which means certifications and training time, which really means money.

It's too bad because lowering the standard is just gonna screw the guys on the street.

cmiller683
02-15-10, 09:36
The standard for that particular department is indeed, extremely weak. I am in piss poor shape at the moment, admittedly, but I can go out and run at a 7-minute mile pace for at least a couple miles. So even if that is a 7:59 mile, it comes out to a 15:58 two mile, which is still faster than their 1 1/2 mile.

Keeping in shape for the average-joe is difficult. I myself am not where I wish to be. But, if you want to become a LEO and serve your community, you have a responsibility to yourself, your fellow officers, and your fellow citizens.

If anything, the department should raise their standards into the program. However, this obviously may not be plausible. You have to deal with what you have to work with, and you have to put boots on the street. And while having an out-of-shape officer running the streets is not ideal, it is better than not hearing any sirens, and not having anyone come to your aid.

Some serious work needs to be done. Maybe a preparation program to get them into shape for testing? Just a thought from a sheep-dog.

PlatoCATM
02-15-10, 09:56
Be nice if they added a swim requirement.

If you are going to be a professional first responder, you need to know how to swim IMO.

It sounds like most of them could float without a problem. That isn't good enough?

sadmin
02-15-10, 10:05
yikes... my state cant help it. there is a restaurant every .4 miles in the cities and young women parade around with pitchers of beer taunting you. its inevitable. :cool: