PDA

View Full Version : Broad gear review

Mac679
04-08-07, 07:10
Slip2000, CProducts Mags, S&B Short Dot at Grafenwoehr/JMRC...

I just returned from a month of training in Germany where I got to test some things out. Honestly, I have good to say about them all.

Slip2K,
My first experience with this lube was during a Pat Rogers class ( yes, after an experience with Vagisil... ). It did a great job of keeping my gun running during class ( after I got out of the arms room mindset of "try not to get it dirty" ). I decided to get some of my own before I went to Grafenwoehr back in the fall. Unfortunately it didn't arrive in time for that trip. The folks at Slip were also kind enough to send me a box of 12-1oz bottles as a show of support of the military and I thank them for this. A fellow NCO and I split that box between our soldiers giving bottles to our riflemen. A sort of unscientific testing if you will. I also got an 8 oz. bottle and had a 32 oz. spray bottle. Everyone who used the lube loved it. Many soldiers, including SAW gunners, said they experienced an increased reliability ( this could also be from us harping on lube is better that no lube ), even with blanks-for some reason they seem to be the Kryptonite of the M249 normally. I also heard a lot of comments about ease of cleaning. Anyone who's ever been in the military knows the weather goes to shit in the field. We had rain, sleet, and snow. The Slip did an excellent job of protecting weapons for those of us who used it to wipe down the exteriors of our weapons. I've had a couple of soldiers ask me for how to get ahold of it.

CProducts SS Mags
In all honesty, I initially had a negative experience with them. My mom had left my box of 12 sitting in the garage for several months. I came home on leave to find the springs rusted which completely killed the reliability of the mags. I replaced the springs with some Wolff extra power springs and the problem was solved. I haven't had a single reliability issue with them since. Guys I know were asking where to get these as well, especially since they are half the cost of the HK mags and only slightly heavier than the aluminum. These mags took all the weather conditions thrown at them like a champ. Rain, sleet, snow, and mud that comes with laying in the prone and moving through the elements. No problems at all, including no rust where the mar-lube finish has been worn off ( my only complaint ). I will definitely be ordering some of these with the cerakote finish from Grant.

And last but not least, the famed S&B Short Dot...
You know something is good when guys who normally make fun of you for buying something that expensive and taking it to the field, play with it for a little while and ask how they can get one. This thing was awesome. I thoroughly love it. I don't even mind the weight since it counter balances my M203 and the day/night 203 laser ( which is universally hated ). When we shot Close Quarters, I didn't really notice any problems in speed ( although some say there was--but that individual was not the one standing directly behind me ), and there was plenty of eye relief for using helmet mounted PVS14's behind the optic ( I find this avoids me playing the "figure out which laser is mine before shooting" game and makes me appear light years faster than the rest of the firing line :D ). When we did long range marksmanship, again this scope was outstanding. Beautiful glass and image clarity. I hit out to 650m ( I need some work ). I do have to give props to my rifleman though-hitting at 730m repeatedly with a plain jane M4, Radway Green SS109, and a beat to sh*t TA01NSN ACOG. I am definitely sold on this optic, and so are about 3 other people who have asked how to get one for themselves ( and of course Mark Larue's excellent LT135 mount---hey, we gotta get it over them lasers somehow ).

Looking for to seeing how the mags and Slip hold up in sandbox-A...

Mac