PDA

View Full Version : College question

dmanflynn
02-14-10, 20:49
Hey guys, Im looking at going to college to be a gunsmith but am unsure of the path to take. I would really like to hear from the smiths on m4c as to where are the best places to take a gunsmithing course and the differences between them if possible. Also, what other courses courses could I take to help me out a little? Metallurgy or something like that? Im thinking of going locally to take my basic classes but God willing I will be able to travel to a gunsmithing school that might also offer metallurgy and what not. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I live in southern Indiana and have relatives in central KY. Im only 16 and a sophomore right now and probably should have started looking around sooner but here I am. Im hoping that you could at least point me in the right direction. I appreciate it guys

Collegefour
02-14-10, 20:59
A quick google brought up these schools, might spend some time googling each one to figure out the best one for you:
Popular Gunsmithing Technical Schools and Colleges

Animal Behavior College - Northridge Northridge CA

Colorado School of Trades - Gunsmithing - Lakewood Lakewood CO

New England Institute of Technology - Warwick Warwick RI

Pennco Tech - Bristol Bristol PA

Lincoln College of Technology - Grand Prairie Grand Prairie TX

Vancouver Career College - Chilliwack Chilliwack BC

Tulsa Welding School - Tulsa Tulsa OK

Medix College - Smyrna Smyrna GA (Glock is located in this city)

Vatterott College Multiple Cities MC

Vatterott College - Berkeley Berkeley MO

Vatterott College - Kansas City Kansas City MO

Arizona Automotive Institute - Glendale Glendale AZ (Ruger is located in Prescott, about 1.5 hours from here)

Featured Gunsmithing Technical Schools and Colleges

ATI Career Training Center - Dallas Dallas TX

Bohecker College - Ravenna Ravenna OH

Everest Institute - Houston Houston TX

Fountainhead College of Technoloy - Knoxville Knoxville TN

Lincoln Technical Institute - East Windsor East Windsor CT

Miller-Motte Technical College - Goodlettsville Goodlettsville TN

Tri-State Business Institute - Erie Erie PA

WyoTech Multiple Cities MC

chadbag
02-14-10, 21:12
Im only 16 and a sophomore right now and probably should have started looking around sooner but here I am.

I did not seriously think about what sort of colleges and universities I wanted to attend until I was half way through my junior year at the earliest.

Work hard in school and enjoy being in HS.

Also, while taking gun smith courses is interesting and fun, and I would recommend it as a secondary education, look at something a little more universal for primary education. Some sort of engineering, or math, or something that would also be useful in the gun smith / gun design business later perhaps. Something that has wider applicability so that you don't get stuck in a track that may leave you unemployed a lot in the future. Maybe Mechanical Engineer? You can always take gun smithing courses later on as well as attend armorers classes etc.

(I am a software guy so cannot talk about hard engineering disciplines with any authority).

dmanflynn
02-14-10, 21:32
I did not seriously think about what sort of colleges and universities I wanted to attend until I was half way through my junior year at the earliest.

Work hard in school and enjoy being in HS.

Also, while taking gun smith courses is interesting and fun, and I would recommend it as a secondary education, look at something a little more universal for primary education. Some sort of engineering, or math, or something that would also be useful in the gun smith / gun design business later perhaps. Something that has wider applicability so that you don't get stuck in a track that may leave you unemployed a lot in the future. Maybe Mechanical Engineer? You can always take gun smithing courses later on as well as attend armorers classes etc.

(I am a software guy so cannot talk about hard engineering disciplines with any authority).
Well see thats the thing, Im interested in machining and tool and die type of stuff which goes hand in hand with smithing. Theres lots of applications I would think that machining and tool and die educations could play into. At least I would think it so. But Im a gun nut too and would love to become a gunsmith or even an armorer in the military. Whether thats before I go to school or not is purely in the air right now. Going into machining and gunsmithing though would be a great opportunity to possibly go to work for a firearms manufacturer too which would be something I could see myself doing till im old and grey haha:p I realize you gotta take it easy through HS and worry about grades etc. but Im on my own and the more research and preparation I can accomplish before I get out of highschool the better in my opinion. Im just probing the members on here that have experience in the field of machining or with people who do as your case im assuming. To do mechanical engineering is quite a step up from a gunsmithing/machining course as well. Not that I wouldnt enjoy it but im thinking $$$ and how to pay for it all.

dmanflynn
02-14-10, 21:33
ttp://www.trinidadstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=252&Itemid=412

This is one prospect maybe? Just did a little research but from the looks of it, it seems like it might be a considerable choice? What say you? If you just add an h in front of the link it will be active.

sinister
02-14-10, 22:01
If you will be able to afford a 4-year university I would strongly recommend a major in Industrial Technology.

I.T. will give you a range of basic education in everything from metallurgy to tool and die making, manufacturing, chemistry (metal finishing), welding, non-destructive testing, CAD/CAM, thermodynamics, etc. A trade school will give you hands-on to begin working and apprenticeing after two years of formal schooling.

The Army Marksmanship Unit hires many gunsmiths out of Trinidad.

dmanflynn
02-14-10, 22:25
If you will be able to afford a 4-year university I would strongly recommend a major in Industrial Technology.

I.T. will give you a range of basic education in everything from metallurgy to tool and die making, manufacturing, chemistry (metal finishing), welding, non-destructive testing, CAD/CAM, thermodynamics, etc. A trade school will give you hands-on to begin working and apprenticeing after two years of formal schooling.

By I.T what do you mean? Ive tried to find a metallurgy course but most are engineering programs for things like structural analysis and full time career paths in engineering. What would be an example of a decent trade school just so that we are on the same page? So would it probably be best to get into tool and die, machining, mechanical engineering and then take like a smithing course later? That way Id have a wider array of jobs to choose from? You think I might be somewhat qualified for a position as a smith for the Army Marksmanship Unit if I get some schooling in mech. engineering and gunsmithing? Is there a certain requirement for that or do you know? I do appreciate your feedback. Be patient with my questions haha:D

kmrtnsn
02-14-10, 22:32
Just so you are clear, there is no such thing as a degree in gunsmithing. You can get a technical certificate or a diploma but not an accredited degree. Be careful what some these places are selling. You want to learn to gunsmith then some of the service schools can teach you to be an armorer.

chadbag
02-14-10, 22:54
Well see thats the thing, Im interested in machining and tool and die type of stuff which goes hand in hand with smithing. Theres lots of applications I would think that machining and tool and die educations could play into. At least I would think it so. But Im a gun nut too and would love to become a gunsmith or even an armorer in the military. Whether thats before I go to school or not is purely in the air right now. Going into machining and gunsmithing though would be a great opportunity to possibly go to work for a firearms manufacturer too which would be something I could see myself doing till im old and grey haha:p I realize you gotta take it easy through HS and worry about grades etc. but Im on my own and the more research and preparation I can accomplish before I get out of highschool the better in my opinion. Im just probing the members on here that have experience in the field of machining or with people who do as your case im assuming. To do mechanical engineering is quite a step up from a gunsmithing/machining course as well. Not that I wouldnt enjoy it but im thinking $$$ and how to pay for it all.

A trade school in machining, or has been suggested, Industrial Technology could be interesting.

dmanflynn
02-14-10, 23:36
Just so you are clear, there is no such thing as a degree in gunsmithing. You can get a technical certificate or a diploma but not an accredited degree. Be careful what some these places are selling. You want to learn to gunsmith then some of the service schools can teach you to be an armorer.

Would Trinidad be a good choice? It says an associate in gunsmithing, but the curriculum included general ed. Im assuming like math, us history etc... Or just the smithing course which doesnt include general ed. But from what you guys have been saying I think Ill get into a trade school or engineering and take armorer courses later. I appreciate the info and any more you have to offer would be great

kmrtnsn
02-14-10, 23:44
How can you take a school seriously when their NRA coordinator is named Speedy Gonzalez?

You are not going to learn gunsmithing at a community college. Have you thought about apprenticing with a real gunsmith?

Azul
02-14-10, 23:47
You sound like you would be interested in Mechanical Engineering. At least give it a look as you continue your search

orionz06
02-14-10, 23:47
I would think the better choice would be a technical degree that would lend itself to gun smithing in some manner. Engineering or manufacturing come to mind, and there are plenty more jobs out there for it right now as opposed to what a quick internet search found for gun smithing, at least in my area.

I would also think that say an engineering degree for example, would allow you to work and save the money needed to start your own venture. I guess you would have to see what you wanted to do and what you were willing to do first.

Either way, picking a career because you want to do it isn't always best. You need to make sure it is something you can get a job in first. I was fortunate to want to be what I am and ended up liking my job.

chadbag
02-15-10, 02:35
How can you take a school seriously when their NRA coordinator is named Speedy Gonzalez?

You are not going to learn gunsmithing at a community college. Have you thought about apprenticing with a real gunsmith?

and

Methinks someone is confused ????

Their program is an associates in applied science. It is an accredited college -- "Trinidad State Junior College is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools" (from nra.trinidadstate.edu)

Here is info on "Speedy Gonzalez"

http://nra.trinidadstate.edu/index.php/speedy-gonzalez

Benchrest champion.

Collegefour
02-15-10, 02:50
ttp://www.trinidadstate.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=252&Itemid=412

This is one prospect maybe? Just did a little research but from the looks of it, it seems like it might be a considerable choice? What say you? If you just add an h in front of the link it will be active.

OMG....thats so funny you posted that! I left that one out on purpose because I felt like I was biased, but that school is where I went to the academy! Of course, I heard about their gunsmithing dept., but I have no idea how good it is in comparison to the other ones I posted earlier.

Now about Trinidad, I can tell you plenty, as I lived there for 10 weeks attending the academy. Small town, more liquor stores per capita than any other city I have ever been in (there's one like every block or so in some areas), and they do trans-gender operations there (the city is well known for that). I pretty much left town and went to Pueblo or C. Springs if I wanted to have some fun. Not too much to do in Trinidad, but I do recall a very good steakhouse on Main. Can't remember the name, but I'm sure you'll find it if it's still there. The school is pretty small, and their cafeteria food absolutely (and unequivocally) SUCKS! I ended up eating out nearly every day, despite the cafeteria food having already been paid for...so take that how you will. Let me know if you have any other questions about that school.

DTHN2LGS
02-15-10, 03:29
http://www.pinetech.edu/academics/catalog/trade-and-industry-programs/gunsmithing

This is where I went to Gunsmithing school and it is not on the list above. When I went in 1994-1996 I thought it was a very good course. We started our learning in the machine shop and then went into the gun courses after that. If you look at the videos on their web page, the guy in them was the head instructor when I was there too.

Check it out. Do your research and choose the school that works for you.

Lee Indy
02-15-10, 07:45
what ever you do youll want drafting and cnc machining. im going for electrical engineering but am using my electives to forward me towards either a double major in electrical and mechanical or just a minor in computer based drafting. alot of gunsmithing is done on a cnc machine and those guys make bank.

orionz06
02-15-10, 08:28
what ever you do youll want drafting and cnc machining. im going for electrical engineering but am using my electives to forward me towards either a double major in electrical and mechanical or just a minor in computer based drafting. alot of gunsmithing is done on a cnc machine and those guys make bank.

push for mech engineering, the drafting is enough to be picked up on the job.

dmanflynn
02-15-10, 10:16
http://www.pinetech.edu/academics/catalog/trade-and-industry-programs/gunsmithing

This is where I went to Gunsmithing school and it is not on the list above. When I went in 1994-1996 I thought it was a very good course. We started our learning in the machine shop and then went into the gun courses after that. If you look at the videos on their web page, the guy in them was the head instructor when I was there too.

Check it out. Do your research and choose the school that works for you.

Where are they out of?

dmanflynn
02-15-10, 10:32
OMG....thats so funny you posted that! I left that one out on purpose because I felt like I was biased, but that school is where I went to the academy! Of course, I heard about their gunsmithing dept., but I have no idea how good it is in comparison to the other ones I posted earlier.

Now about Trinidad, I can tell you plenty, as I lived there for 10 weeks attending the academy. Small town, more liquor stores per capita than any other city I have ever been in (there's one like every block or so in some areas), and they do trans-gender operations there (the city is well known for that). I pretty much left town and went to Pueblo or C. Springs if I wanted to have some fun. Not too much to do in Trinidad, but I do recall a very good steakhouse on Main. Can't remember the name, but I'm sure you'll find it if it's still there. The school is pretty small, and their cafeteria food absolutely (and unequivocally) SUCKS! I ended up eating out nearly every day, despite the cafeteria food having already been paid for...so take that how you will. Let me know if you have any other questions about that school.
Is there many places to shoot?! Ill shoot you a pm if I have any questions though seriously.

sinister
02-15-10, 11:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister
Methinks someone is confused ????

I commanded the USAMU. The Chief Gunsmith worked for me. He hired them. They went to Basic Training but AIT was waived as they already had a job-specific trade.

Gunsmiths can advance to Sergeant First Class. If they wished to advance to higher rank then they left the unit for the needs of the Army.

MrCleanOK
02-15-10, 15:14
Well see thats the thing, Im interested in machining and tool and die type of stuff which goes hand in hand with smithing. Theres lots of applications I would think that machining and tool and die educations could play into.

This falls under the scope of Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology.

Education is like a tree. Leaves are very specific job skills, the trunk would be something like majoring in "general studies" at a 4-year university (so general as to be almost meaningless). You want to be out on a nice branch that gets you access to all the little twigs and leaves you might be interested in. Starting your post-high school education with a gunsmithing certificate is like starting on a leaf, and you are really going to limit yourself if a career in smithing doesn't work out.

I'm not saying don't follow the gunsmithing dream, but there are ways of going about it that will leave more options open to you if things don't work out. The most direct path is not always the best one.

orionz06
02-15-10, 15:16
This falls under the scope of Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology.

Education is like a tree. Leaves are very specific job skills, the trunk would be something like majoring in "general studies" at a 4-year university (so general as to be almost meaningless). You want to be out on a nice branch that gets you access to all the little twigs and leaves you might be interested in. Starting your post-high school education with a gunsmithing certificate is like starting on a leaf, and you are really going to limit yourself if a career in smithing doesn't work out.

I'm not saying don't follow the gunsmithing dream, but there are ways of going about it that will leave more options open to you if things don't work out. The most direct path is not always the best one.

Be careful if you go the MET route, not all MET programs are the same, some are a glorified CAD degree, others are an ME program with a few different books.

The rest of the advice is perfect, what I wanted to say but couldnt.

Collegefour
02-16-10, 02:28
Well, there was the shooting range that we did our academy training at...but back then I really didn't know/care about the difference between a public and a private range, so i don't really know which it was, BUT...Trinidad being where it is (meaning isolated), I am fairly certain that there are areas not too far away "in the woods" where you can shoot to your hearts content.

SkiDevil
02-16-10, 03:19

Mr. Clean and E-Guns and others imparted some very good advice.

Don't Limit yourself right-out of the gate. ALWAYS have a back-up plan, especially when it comes to an education.

If you have an interest in gunsmithing that's great. But, you don't need a degree to be one. Many large Organizations have Armorers who are sent-off to maufacturers schools and then are those who learn on the job "apprenticeships" such as was already mentioned.

Do yourself a favor and look into a few different colleges before you make any definitive decisions and speak with a school counselor at your school or at one of the colleges you are considering attending.

If you are greatly interested in a technical career and believe that financially the cost may be out of reach, then the Armed Services may also be an option as well. Particularly, the Air Force or the Navy where you can obtain training and/ or a degree in a variety of technical vocations.

But, don't rule-out financial assistance/ grants as well. Even, if you are not in a generally considered under represented group there are many scholarships/ grant programs out there for college students.

And as was already said, at 16 years of age you have some time. Consider all of your choices carefully.

Lastly, as an adult who has spent most of his adult years in college or Graduate School the best advice I could impart to you is to obtain a degree in a general field which is MARKETABLE. I went to school with a few individuals who majored in Art Appreciation, Liberal Arts, or some other silly major and had difficulty in finding employment.

I ended-up working in the Public Sector/ Government and though I studied Politics/ Public Policy in school. To do it over, I would have obtained a BA in Business Administration and then a JD or Masters in Business Admin. (MBA) because after working in government a general business oriented degree is much more marketable, particularly for a high level position at the corporate level in a private industry organization.

Best of Luck,
SkiDevil

P.S. I have personally met many unemployed or under-employed 'Gunsmiths.' So, having a back-up to fall on like others suggested is wise to consider.

xfyrfiter
02-16-10, 09:39
NRA Whittington range is just outside of Raton NM. Only 40 mi. or so, one of the best ranges in the world, or so I'm told. FWIW

tracker722
02-16-10, 16:50

DTHN2LGS
02-16-10, 20:33
Where are they out of?

Pine City, Minnesota.

Did you click on the link at the top of my first post?

chadbag
02-16-10, 21:03
I commanded the USAMU. The Chief Gunsmith worked for me. He hired them. They went to Basic Training but AIT was waived as they already had a job-specific trade.

Gunsmiths can advance to Sergeant First Class. If they wished to advance to higher rank then they left the unit for the needs of the Army.

I was not meaning that YOU were the confused one. I meant that the idea that you cannot learn gunsmithing at a community or junior college was obviously mistaken since you said that the Army hired gunsmiths from such a program.

NMBigfoot02
02-17-10, 09:57
As a mechanical engineer myself, I might have a biased opinion, but I would encourage you to take a hard look at becoming an ME. It covers so many fields and applications that you almost never run out of backup options. I would also tell you to stay away from a ME Tech degree as well. It is not viewed in the same way that a straight up ME degree is.

Good luck to you in any case.

MrCleanOK
02-17-10, 10:30
True, MET is not as highly sought after or versatile as ME, but an MET degree from a university with good program is far from useless. MET would be something for the OP to look at if his abilities don't lend themselves to ME coursework (i.e., mechanically savvy, but not strong at math). I agree that ME is something he should take a long hard look at first.

MrCleanOK
Mechanical Engineer

As a mechanical engineer myself, I might have a biased opinion, but I would encourage you to take a hard look at becoming an ME. It covers so many fields and applications that you almost never run out of backup options. I would also tell you to stay away from a ME Tech degree as well. It is not viewed in the same way that a straight up ME degree is.

orionz06
02-17-10, 11:23
Not all MET programs are created equal, nor do all states recognize the ability of an MET to take the FE and PE exams, but either is in my opinion the best answer to what the OP wants to do.

orionz06
mech. engineer