PDA

View Full Version : CCW In North Carolina question

HES
02-14-10, 23:47
I'm traveling to the RTP area this upcoming Sunday, I am a CCW permit holder in FL and FL and NC have reciprocity. My question is what restaurant restrictions are in place in NC. In FL I can carry so long as I don't do into a bar or into the bar portion of a restaurant. May I do the same in NC? Then there are the NO WEAPONS PERMITTED placards. In FL they do not carry the force of law, but in Alabama they do. What are the status of such signs in NC?

citizensoldier16
02-15-10, 05:42
I'm traveling to the RTP area this upcoming Sunday, I am a CCW permit holder in FL and FL and NC have reciprocity. My question is what restaurant restrictions are in place in NC. In FL I can carry so long as I don't do into a bar or into the bar portion of a restaurant. May I do the same in NC? Then there are the NO WEAPONS PERMITTED placards. In FL they do not carry the force of law, but in Alabama they do. What are the status of such signs in NC?

I'm an NC resident and CCW holder...and I'd be glad to help you out:

Regarding restaurants: CCW prohibited in any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. Places like Chili's, Applebees, etc that serve alcohol are included in this law. That being said, its perfectly legal to carry into an ABC store.

Regarding signs: Signs carry the weight of law. If its posted, its illegal to carry past the sign.

HES
02-15-10, 08:54
I'm an NC resident and CCW holder...and I'd be glad to help you out:

Regarding restaurants: CCW prohibited in any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. Places like Chili's, Applebees, etc that serve alcohol are included in this law. That being said, its perfectly legal to carry into an ABC store.

Regarding signs: Signs carry the weight of law. If its posted, its illegal to carry past the sign.
Not good news to my liking, but still news and for that I am appreciative.

jdavis6576
02-15-10, 09:27
Check out www.handgunlaw.us. I'm not sure when it was last updated, but below is what the site currently lists:

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
· Schools, public or private, all levels including universities. A curricular or extracurricular activity
sponsored by a school. This also applies to all property owned by any school. §14-269.2
· Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. §14-269.3
· Assemblies and establishments where alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14-269.3
· State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the
grounds of any of these buildings, and any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice.
§14-269.4
· State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14-415.11(c)
· Law Enforcement or Correctional Facilities. §14-415.11(c)
· Financial Institutions. §14-415.11(c)
· Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or
present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any
private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of
its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any
dangerous weapon. §14-277.2
· Areas of emergencies or riots. §14-288.7
· Where notice of carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or
statement. §14-415.11(c)
Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests

HiggsBoson
02-15-10, 15:09
FYI, it is also illegal to open carry in the Raleigh suburb of Cary, NC when on public streets, sidewalks, or other public property.

Gun free zone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8) :rolleyes:

vaglocker
02-15-10, 15:49
If i'm not mistaken you also need to proactively inform a police officer that you are carrying if you are stopped. Here in Virginia you don't have to do that. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong on that.

tsconver
02-15-10, 15:55
If i'm not mistaken you also need to proactively inform a police officer that you are carrying if you are stopped. Here in Virginia you don't have to do that. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong on that.

yes in NC if stopped by a police officer for any reason you are obligated to inform him or her that you are carrying and that you have a CCW permit

HES
02-16-10, 22:55
Ok so I cant carry in a restaurant that serves booze, in a movie theater, in a banks, and then what I consider the normal places where it is verbotten to do so (schools, govt buildings, etc). However I can carry in a liquor store. Signage carries the weight of law like in Alabama. If I get pulled over I must identify myself. And since I will be in Cary, I cant open carry.

Thanks guys. BTW, is anyone of your legislators working on getting the ban in restaurants and banks and movie theaters lifted?