PDA

View Full Version : NP3 or EXO from failzero

cymax
02-15-10, 11:34
ok so here i go

i am looking into self lubricating finishes i for my lmt BCG

now the problem is witch one to choose

the Failzero treatment will cost me 209$ and the Np3 130$

after using the magical search button it seams that the Failzero treatment is having mixed reviews mostly good but some bad

as for NP3 coating well it seams that major manufatures including wilson combat uses this with great results

is the Failzero price tag worth it ?? when compared to an NP3 coating

cymax
02-15-10, 18:25
btt

sorry would really like some feed back

MikeCLeonard
02-15-10, 20:09
NP3 is a great finish and is very slick...but it just doesn't seem hard enough to stand up to metal to metal contact. I don't think it would last all that long on a BCG. The FailZero finish seems to be more durable in this respect.

I have a USP with an NP3'd slide and pretty much anywhere metal rubs against the NP3 finish, it has worn through to the metal...And all I've done with the pistol is rack the slide a number of times since I had it finished.

Stickman
02-15-10, 22:06
btt

sorry would really like some feed back

Why not just buy the Fail Zero BCG, and save the LMT as a backup/ extra?

I've been using the Fail Zero BCG since they came on the scene, and it functions well.

cebuboy
02-15-10, 23:49
What about Ion-Bond? Any feedback regarding Bravo's Ion-Bond BCG?

cymax
02-16-10, 03:16
my lmt is piston driven (mrp cqb 16" piston)

although i do not suffer from carbon build up as the DI guns do
it would be nice to have something that does not require lube....

i called Failzero and ask how their coating would fair on anodized aluminum
the gentlemen replied that if i was going do competition or any sort of serious uses that it would be preferable for me to get the upper coated as well.

now i know a thing or 2 about materials and manufacturing being a Mechanical eng. but i am left speechless about these treatments and information is hard to come by.

i wonder how the upper receiver fairs with no treatment... since the boron coating is harder that the bolt carrier material is there an increase in wear on the receiver ???

panzerr
02-16-10, 05:37
Neither

I got both of my bolt carriers ion-bonded by Harrison custom for $100 total (45 each plus shipping)

cymax
02-16-10, 08:56
Neither

I got both of my bolt carriers ion-bonded by Harrison custom for $100 total (45 each plus shipping)

very cool thanx for the tip but from what i understand reading about ion bond is that
it does reduce the coefficient of friction and does require some lube.

after thinking about it for a second it seams more realistic than the other claims...

i will take it into account

Dave_M
02-16-10, 23:06
I put more than 2k rounds through my SBR with an M16 FZ BCG with no cleaning and no lubrication (not even any to start with) with very good results. No way a regular BCG is going to do that without lube.

Thread here:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=45406

cymax
02-17-10, 22:16
Dave :
i did e read your review prior to opening this poll
i was just wondering if anyone else did the same round count as u with their fail zero

how is the were on the upper receiver rails ?? did u notice any shaving or galling on the allUminium

cymax
02-17-10, 22:22
Dave :
i did e read your review prior to opening this poll
i was just wondering if anyone else did the same round count as u with their fail zero

how is the were on the upper receiver rails ?? did u notice any shaving or galling on the allUminium

Dave_M
02-18-10, 00:06

I would not classify the wear as, "excessive" in any way. To make any viable judgement, I'd have to see the innards of an SBR with a similar round count.

cymax
02-18-10, 11:27
ok si see that would make a lot of sense hope fully you will have a chance to do so

from the poll so far it seams that Np3 is not very popular i wonder why