PDA

View Full Version : SBR registration intel

gunny
04-08-07, 15:11
Bare with me you moto hardchargers! I don't think I'm gonna have my 16" barrel cut down as inquired about in my last post. I have just registered one of my existing Oly lowers as a SBR & I'm swapping its 16" for an 11.5" HBAR to suppress. Now, I want to grab a 10 something as a second SBR. While I'm at it, I'm thinking of just getting a new lower so I have a complete SBR package rather than swapping uppers each time I want to use X or Y. My interrogative is...do I have to send another $200 bones to the feds & register that new lower as SBR if I decide to use another short upper? Or is the stamp for SBR a one time thing regardless of how many short uppers I use as long as they're attached to the already registered lower? I never thought to research this since I hadn't anticipated buying more than one short upper:eek:

To further fuel my new addiction, what is the best 10 something upper between LMT, CMMG & Noveske in a flat top with standard FSB? The last two are a lil more than my mom'll allow me to spend, but for arguments sake, what would you LEO or mil blood-thirsties recommend for LE use? I can nab a LMT upper for $450 from Rainier Arms (an outstanding supplier of war gear), but I don't think I'll find a new CMMG or Noveske anywhere for that price. From what I've seen on the web anyway. I've got a lot of time behind these sticks, but I never had to register my toys with the BATF&E until I decided to go SBR. School this now quasi civvy on the whiskey delta bs admin required to own SBR please:confused:

Robb Jensen
04-08-07, 15:16
Each semi-auto lower you plan on using a barrel less than 16" will require it's own tax stamp ($200).

Cold Zero
04-08-07, 18:11
Each semi-auto lower you plan on using a barrel less than 16" will require it's own tax stamp ($200).

thanks for the info. is there a list of states that allow the s.b.r., or a list where this is a no go?

where can i find this list?

thanks.

gunny
04-08-07, 18:53
Green smoke on the clarification. So can I place X number of short uppers on my currently registered lower to circumvent having to register another lower? Your set up is good2go.

Cold Zero: This is the first link I found ref NFA laws for any given state
http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIF2.html
It may be outdated, but it's a start & it covers other info not related to SBR's. I'm fortunate to reside in a state that doesn't restrict an individual from owning a SBR...I won't hold my breath, however:rolleyes:

Cold Zero
04-08-07, 18:57
gunny;

thanks for the link. that was what i was looking for and it confirmed that is a no go for me. just wanted to be sure.

SuicideHz
04-21-07, 18:40
You are safe with one registered lower, two short uppers and then a separate unregistered lower if you have a 16"+ barrel that you can claim you use it for. I wouldn't have one registered, one unregistered and two short barreled uppers lying around without a "legit" upper for that unregistered lower.