PDA

View Full Version : New Noveske 16" 6.8 barrel - 2 questions

john1022
02-15-10, 13:49
16" 6.8 SS middie threaded

question 1

They state you should have the barrel installed by a gunsmith. I'm an engineer and can follow directions, do I need to pay a gunsmith to do this ?

any trick to lining up the M4 feed ramps perfectly ?

question 2

as a Mass resident I can't have a flash hider or a treaded barrel. does anyone make a parkerized, PLAIN/SMOOTH (not knurled) thread protector ? .. adco makes them for 5.56, but not 5/8x24 (308-6.8)

Thanks John

Skyyr
02-15-10, 14:04
If the law states that you can't have a threaded barrel, then the device threaded on the barrel must be permanently pinned so that it can't be removed. This involves drilling a hole into the barrel and pinning whatever muzzle device is attached (in your case, a thread protector or brake) and then welding it. It's semi-permanent and will require modifying the barrel, so keep that in mind.

till44
02-15-10, 16:43
I'd make sure you went with a perm. attached brake rather than just a thread protector. You'll actually get some benefit from the brake and it makes the rifle look better.

MrCleanOK
02-15-10, 18:20
If you are allowed a non-flash suppressing compensator in MA, I would go that route. Have a gunsmith pin it so it's permanently attached.

If you don't mind buying the tools to do the job correctly, and can follow instructions there is no reason you can't handle a barrel swap. It all boils down to having the right tools for the job, and knowing how to employ a torque wrench. The pin on the barrel extension will take pretty good care of lining everything up, and a little input on your part will help get it just right.

That said, if you're already going to have a smith pinning a thread protector or muzzle device, that may also be a good time to have them swap the barrels for you (if you're not into investing in tools or satisfying the need to build your own stuff).

bkb0000
02-15-10, 18:26
you can also just have the threads turned off, if you want to keep the crown exposed.

noveske used to turn to order, i dont know if they still do.. i would assume so, but the last custom barrel i ordered from them was a year or two ago (different times, in the gun biz). i'd give a call and see if they'll turn you an un-threaded barrel.