PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of a Free FLoat handguard?

PointBlank
04-08-07, 18:29
What are the main advantages of a freefloating handguard? I know they help in the accuracy department, but is it really that noticible on a 16"? Is it really a Gunsmith job, or can someone mechanically inclined do it themselves? So pretty much I am wondering if the freefloating will be worth the extra $ and time as opposed to the 2 pc. for shooting at the range and some 3gun matches.

Thanks
Derek

Robb Jensen
04-08-07, 18:56
The benefits are very consistant accuracy as no outside pressures are applied to the barrel from the handguards or a bipod.

They're are a few types of FF rails that don't require barrel removal like the Troy and Samson rails. Both are excellent and easy to install.

Frens
04-09-07, 05:26
FF rails help but Ammo and Shooter are more important IMO.
a friend of mine can easily beat those Match grade Oberland AR15s w/ FF rails using his stock Colt MT6700 and good handloads

AR-15A3
04-09-07, 05:35
+1

The typical Gov't contour barrels without free float handguard could also be affected by just the pressures of the slings and VFG mounted on handguards which could shift the point of impact at about up to 4 MOA (4" at 100 yd).

The best free float handguards in my opinion are the LaRue or the Daniel Defense Lite series because they have a locking design that will prevent the handguard from getting loose which is the main problem of these rails in extreme heavy use.

But these single piece handguards that I mentioned are hard to install for an avarage user, they could be installed by the user but tools are needed like shop table vise, barrel/ handguard wrench and upper receiver action block.

If you don't want that trouble I agree that the Samson, Troy or Midwest Industries two piece rails don't require barrel removal, to install them the delta ring is cut by saw or Dremel then the spring and retaining ring are removed, then install the upper piece of the rail to the barrel nut with machine fasteners, very easy to install.

rhino
04-09-07, 05:41
I agree with the rest. My rule of thumb is that if you're going to use a bipod or a shooting sling, you probably want a free float tube.

rob_s
04-09-07, 08:53
I like free-float rails because I find that they stay cooler when shooting high-volume, and I tend to buy them a bit longer so they cover up more of the barrel to protect me from the hot barrel.

PointBlank
04-09-07, 12:05
Thanks guys, well you have all talked me into the FF forsure. Now have any of you seen, or use yankee hill machine products before. I was looking around and they claim to have the lightest FF guards out there. But at the same time the price scares me a little because of the good ol' saying you get what you pay for. I am not that intimidated by removing the front sight since I am using the stock pinned block, so I am not as worried about gas block alignment.

Any more suggestions?

C'yotecaller
04-11-07, 03:02
Yankee Hill rails are nice, but you do get what you pay for, they are low end. Plus I have never seen one that didn't look kinda purple. I agree on the samson, troy, and midwest rails. Plus I would suggest go with the Midwest, just as nice as the other two and a bit cheaper. Bravo Company I believe sells them for around $180. The other two will cost $220+

PointBlank
04-11-07, 10:27
Well, incase anyone was wondering which way I decided to go, I ended up going with a Midwest Industries #24 and Midwest Industries lo-pro gas block. I will post some pics when I get it all on.

Thanks for the help everyone...

Paulinski
04-11-07, 10:43
A bit late but I use older style DD (not lite) rails for all my uppers. Expensive but worth it in my books.