PDA

View Full Version : Short sighted newbie

yosel
02-16-10, 00:02
I just about have my mind made up to buy a Colt 6920 as my first AR since VN.

Today a friend pointed out that if I wanted to change sights, it might be difficult because the front sight might be in the way of a rear sight if the carrying handle is removed.

I have just finished looking at the AR picture thread and it appears that there are a whole lot of rear sights that accommodate the standard front sight. Is that true?? Is the front sight removal without surgery?

In other words, are there a good selection of rear sights that can be used on the 6920, with or without the handle installed.:confused:

ChicagoTex
02-16-10, 01:09
I'm not really clear what you're asking here.

AR-15 sight height is basically standardized, any AR-15 rear sight should work with any AR-15 front sight (including the fixed front sight) and vice-versa.

If your question is whether or not the fixed (non-rail mounted) front sight on AR-15s such as the 6920 is easily removeable, the answer is a big NO as the front sight base houses the gas block that bleeds off gas from the barrel into the gas tube and back into the action. Replacing the front sight base/gas block typically requires aggressive pin removal (if the pins are particularly well staked, you may need to saw through the aluminum of the sight base itself) and precise fitting for the new gas block. In short: standard AR-15 front sight removal is basically a gunsmith-level job.

If you're asking if the front sight will be in your field of view if you switch to a type of optic (such as a scope, aimpoint, eotech, etc.) the answer is yes. If the idea of this bothers you, you should consider a rifle with a low-profile gas block and no fixed front sight. However, many people consider this desireable with a red dot optic like an aimpoint or eotech because you can "co-witness" the sights, lining up your sights' point of aim with the dot of your optic - usually in the bottom 1/3rd of the optic's field of view.

Belmont31R
02-16-10, 01:32
With a red dot sight you shoot with both eyes open with your eyes focused on the target. You will not see the front sight shooting this way because your eyes are focused on a target much further away.

With a flip down or fixed rear sight it works the same way. You flip up the rear sight, and use the irons normally.

Some people who are not used to this type of setup may think it causes a problem but it doesn't for 99% of those who shoot like this. After you shoot a bit you won't even think about that front sight even being there anymore.

yosel
02-16-10, 16:47
I'm not really clear what you're asking here.

You may not be clear about it but you did a great job answering.

Thank you and also Belmont31r for clearing this up for me. I found a pretty good price today for the 6920 and probably will purchase it over the weekend, unless I find out some unkown reason not to.

Thanks again.

DaBears_85
02-17-10, 04:52
I just about have my mind made up to buy a Colt 6920 as my first AR since VN.

Today a friend pointed out that if I wanted to change sights, it might be difficult because the front sight might be in the way of a rear sight if the carrying handle is removed.

I have just finished looking at the AR picture thread and it appears that there are a whole lot of rear sights that accommodate the standard front sight. Is that true?? Is the front sight removal without surgery?

In other words, are there a good selection of rear sights that can be used on the 6920, with or without the handle installed.:confused:

I own a 6920 and run a Troy rear folding battle sight. It's the same height as the rear sight aperture on the carrying handle would be if it were attached. Most any BUIS is going to "line up" with the front sight as it is a standardized height. As far as an optic is concerned, as the previous poster stated, the optic will "disappear" when aiming with both eyes open. With an EOTech for example, It will be in the center of the optics field of view (center co-witness). If you don't like it being there you could put it on a riser mount but it's really not necessary.

ColdDeadHands
02-17-10, 07:10

yes, all of these (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Rear-Iron-Sights-s/56.htm) will work. Seems like the Troy is preferred by most users...Botach (http://www.botachtactical.com/trrefoba.html) has them for $122.50