PDA

View Full Version : Surefire DG switch - anyone use one on their CCW?

dookie1481
02-16-10, 01:19
I've read that some people don't like them because of light ADs - for a tactical team this is clearly a no-no.

But for an average citizen, would you prefer this over the rocker switch? I have small hands and short thumbs and have trouble activating the momentary on switch without altering my grip to the point where it is unnatural.

I know a white light AD can be deadly for anyone but it seems to me that for John Q. Public, like me, the ability to more consistently and positively activate my light would be a reasonable compromise.

Thoughts?

Jay

ThirdWatcher
02-16-10, 01:35
A DG switch would probably be okay for your pistol if you're not gonna equip it with Crimson Trace Laser Grips that have the front activation.

John_Wayne777
02-16-10, 07:19
I've read that some people don't like them because of light ADs - for a tactical team this is clearly a no-no.

But for an average citizen, would you prefer this over the rocker switch?

If you have trouble using the rocker switch then the DG switch is a good option. Light ADs are a bad thing, but the consequences of a white light AD vary from getting immediately lit up by machineguns and RPGs to nothing significant at all, largely dependent upon where you are and what you happen to be doing at the time. For an SF/SOF guy trying to clandestinely watch an enemy installation or trying to set up to hit that installation, a white light AD could be disastrous. For the average citizen on the streets of the USA the consequences are probably going to be much less dire.

I have small hands and short thumbs and have trouble activating the momentary on switch without altering my grip to the point where it is unnatural.

I know a white light AD can be deadly for anyone but it seems to me that for John Q. Public, like me, the ability to more consistently and positively activate my light would be a reasonable compromise.

Thoughts?

Being able to use the white light is better than not being able to use the white light. If the white light is basically useless to you absent the tape switch, then use the tape switch and train to avoid AD's with the light.

dookie1481
02-16-10, 13:22
Does anyone know if the standard Raven LC will accomodate the DG switch?

Also, this is an $89 piece of metal and plastic, correct?

Jay

John_Wayne777
02-16-10, 13:31
The DG switch fits just fine in an RCS phantom for a mounted light, at least for the M&P pistol. The DG switch does not fit in Safariland holsters for weapons with mounted lights.

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/hlle-8.jpg

Yes, it's an 89 dollar piece of plastic and metal...but it's also far more durable and useful than most handgun tape switches on the market.

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/hlle-5.jpg

infidelprodigy
02-16-10, 15:16
I use one on my carry glock 19. I've never had a problem with white light AD. I can get a secure accurate firing grip without activating the light. Applying slightly more pressure will activate the light. Like everything, it will require an amount of training with your grip pressure to where you don't death grip and AD the light but it's not that hard. For CCW, I now view it as needed, for it is a very real possibility that you will not have both hands on the weapon.

Joe R.
02-16-10, 16:57
Like anything else you need to train with the DG switch. After a bit of practice you will find that your white light ADs are almost non-existent.

The Safariland holsters can be modified to fit a DG switch, just takes a judicious application of heat and a dremel.

Chameleox
02-16-10, 21:28
I carry a Glock 22 with an X200B and DG switch for duty, tactical, and CCW roles.
I haven't had an issue with the DG switch and light AD's. It takes training to grip the gun with a slightly looser grip with your middle finger, but its doable.
The gun fits into a Raven Phantom holster with no issue.
The gun sits in a Safariland 6365 for duty and a 6280 for tactical duties. 5 minutes with a file and fit issues were nil.
Added: Its still not an ideal CCW setup due to its size. Hopefully my G27 Raven holster will ship soon.

SWATcop556
02-17-10, 00:27
I've moved away from using the DG switch. I found that the benefit of the switch wasn't significant enough to have to retrain my grip. I liked the switch but just didn't warm up to it enough. I think if you want to change your grip and have issues with the toggle switch on your light then the DG switch is a good option.

Hayduke
02-17-10, 12:09
i use the DG on my G19 w/X300 as my EDC. the only AD's i had with the switch/light were upon drawing from my holster at first. a slight switch in my grip at the draw and now it's not an issue and has not been for some time now, from either my IWB, OWB or Drop Leg holsters. the only AD's while firing have been while wearing gloves, but then at that moment i was firing at my target.
personally i find the switch to be a bonus. moving my thumb from the spot it always sits to the toggle and then pushing on it was pulling my shots enough for me to give the switch a whirl, happy i did.

westcoastfrog
02-17-10, 20:59
TACTICAL USE-
depends on unit SOP for house clearing. if clearing using traditional white light methods then a pressure pad is a must IMO. secondary clearing a holster means you've already ID'd a threat and your primary has gone down for whatever reason....no time to mess with a rocker switch. If running on night vision with IR lights/laser then no pressure pad due to the white light AD issue.

Personal/ home defense-
IMO dg switch is a must as well since the majority (myself included) do not have IR lasers and NVG's for personal use.

oldtexan
02-18-10, 12:10
I use DG-11 switches on a couple of Glock 34s and on a Glock 19, two of them with X400s and one with an X200b. I am just an armed citizen with a concealed handgun license (CHL), and use these guns for concealed carry and home defense.

My thinking is that in an extremely high stress situation of having an intruder in the house at 0 dark thirty it's unrealistic for me to expect to remember to reach forward to activate the light or light/laser. I am willing to risk a light AD in order to have a greater assurance of having the light/laser come on when I need it. Also the DG allows successful one hand activation of the light/laser.

I leave the DG and X400/200 on the guns for CCW so that I don't have to mess with removing and reinstalling them. I carry them in RCS Phantoms.

dookie1481
02-25-10, 14:29
Does anyone know if the standard Raven LC will accomodate the DG switch?

Also, this is an $89 piece of metal and plastic, correct?

Jay

Ok, I feel pretty foolish here. I was under the impression that this was just a metal lever that activated the light when it was depressed. I had no idea it was an actual pressure switch. The price seems pretty reasonable now.

Jay