PDA

View Full Version : Texas Defensive Handgun Classes?

montanadave
02-16-10, 10:26
I have a relative who resides in The Woodlands area who is interested in taking a defensive handgun course with his wife before they apply for concealed weapons permits. Any recommendations on one or two-day courses in that area? Additionally, are there any gun shops with ranges where he could let his wife test fire handguns before selecting a pistol?

David Thomas
02-16-10, 10:32
Have you seen this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=137

I highly recommend CSAT.

http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/

Their weekend handgun course sounds like what you are looking for, but I am not sure how far away it is from you. Regardless of the distance, it will be worth it.

ForTehNguyen
02-16-10, 10:52
Woodlands is a bit of a drive from the ones I do but there are a couple defensive handgun classes offered at Hotwells (Hwy 290 and Skinner in the Cypress area):

This weekend there is a tactical rifle class in the morning, and afterwards is the handgun class. I am attending the rifle class (with shotguns). Classes run about 2 hours for $100. Its an option but not the 1-2 day course but its quick. This is the same range Jim Pruetts Guns and Ammo does their CHL qualification.

DEFENSIVE HANDGUN – ALL SKILL LEVELS
Feb 11th Thursday (7 – 9:30 PM) Defensive Handgun
Feb. 20th Saturday (11:30AM – 1:30 PM) Defensive Handgun

Close Quarter Engagements and Low Light Training (Thursday), Class Limited to Ten (10) Students Fee: $100.00 Requirements: Handgun/3 Magazines/Holster/Magazine Carrier, and a LED 6Volt Flashlight (Surefire Type – loaners available) 200 rounds pistol ammunition.

TACTICAL RIFLE
Feb 20th Saturday (9- 11AM) Shoulder Weapon Platform (AR-15 or AK-47)
Class Limited to Eight (8) Students, Fee: $125.00
Requirements: 200 rounds of rifle ammunition, 3 magazines, and magazine carrier for AR-15/AK-47, and a “Dump” pouch if you’ve got one. If the shooter is training with a Shotgun, a minimum of 150 rounds of Birdshot, and 10 rounds of 00 Buckshot is required. Eye and ear protection is mandatory. Cleaning equipment for your respective weapon system and plenty of fluids/power bars are recommended as well as.

The time allocated for each class is two hours to maximize your ability to learn and practice the techniques presented by H. B. and his staff of experienced Firearms/Special Operations Instructors. The individual confidence level obtained will insure a rewarding experience for all who participate, but class size is very limited.

Email: jordankim350@gmail.com
Phone: 281-846-8492
Or call Jim Pruett’s Guns & Ammo
832-237-GUNS
LADIES? Where are the ladies? I continue to be disappointed as more and more guys attend our classes when there are ladies out there at a greater risk – the numbers are backwards, this is not a boys club. There is a concept regarding the justification for the use of deadly force called “disparity of force” and when it exists it can serve as a justification for the use of deadly force, i.e. man against woman. Don’t be intimidated ladies – that’s Kim Jordan’s specialty! She’s here for you! And to the guys out there, what are you doing out here by yourself – are you training only half of your defense team? Do I need to give you a tactical speech on how critical it is to have your entire team on the same page?

A-Bear680
02-16-10, 12:00
Slightly OT:
What are the costs related to getting a CCW in Texas? The license itself , mandatory training , etc.

Blinking Dog
02-16-10, 13:00
Slightly OT:
What are the costs related to getting a CCW in Texas? The license itself , mandatory training , etc.

You can find a one day CHL class for around $100, past that it is a waiting game while they run a background check. There is no mandatory training, but you do have to demonstrate that you can hit the broad side of a barn with your pistol.

Wayne Dobbs
02-16-10, 16:23
The license fee to the state is $140 for four years.

Sry0fcr
02-16-10, 19:57
I have a relative who resides in The Woodlands area who is interested in taking a defensive handgun course with his wife before they apply for concealed weapons permits. Any recommendations on one or two-day courses in that area? Additionally, are there any gun shops with ranges where he could let his wife test fire handguns before selecting a pistol?

Take the CHL class at CSAT. 2 birds one stone.

montanadave
02-17-10, 08:10
Appreciate the feedback. I'll pass the information along.