PDA

View Full Version : Laser ranger finder binoculars

Dirk Williams
02-16-10, 12:43
Anybody here using really good range finder binoculars. Im looking at a Leica 15x56 laser ranger finder bino's. The're supposed to be accurate to about 1200 to 1300 yards. 2890.00

My current set up is a lupold mono range finder good to 750 y, and some Nikon bino's. I had the oppertunity to try a set of the Leica's last year and found them to be fantastic.

Any thoughts, or is there a better set in that price range.

My daughter is currently living in Germany, wondering if they can be purchased on the economy in germany cheaper.

Thanks in advance.
Dirk

Icculus
02-19-10, 10:39
Posted a similar question a while back. The recommendations were a little out of my price range but might help you out

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37340

Dirk Williams
02-19-10, 12:02
Thank you for your response, I was unaware of the previous thread. Looking very strongly at the glasses I named, They seem to have a solid reputation and my instructor associates use them at classes and on their own personal time.

Using a Bushnell and a Lupold right now and they frustrate the hell out of me. On the range yesterday they simply would not range past 600y. And if they did seemed to be fouled for one reason or another. Didn't matter I couldn't hit shit past 525 yesterday anyway.

I guess my next real qustion is, do I really need the 56mm objective lenses or will the smaller size work." In the 45mm"

I have to carry this stuff along with my other gear and would like to carry as ltitle stuff as possible. If I get the bino/ranger in one then I won't have to carry both in the field.

My observation and belief is that Im carring way to much stuff. Im working hard to carry just exactly what I need and nothing else. Trying to keep my kit below10 lbs, plus rifle 14 lbs

Rifle.
40 rounds ammo.
range finder. Luepold mono
bino's. Nikon
compass
range card.
Kestrel.
iphone bulletflight
two capes OD green and tan.
50 liters/oz water.? small bladder.
emergant C packets
tuna 3 packets/instant oats/
pen paper
small red light
magnesiun flint.
poncho/liner.
25ft 550 cord
spare battery's/allen wrenchs for repairs in the field.
in a SO TECH Go bag which is slung like a man purse not a back pack. I also shoot off of this bag. Im at 11/12 lb right now, don't think I can get the kit much smaller.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Dirk.

Artos
02-20-10, 08:09
I have used the leica finders. They are no doubt very fine optics but a couple of options to consider. Please understand I am making these comments from a hunting application.

The 15x will require you to use a rest...the high magnification can make it difficult to focus on targets holding off hand. You may want to fondle the 10x before deciding. I have a pair of 10x42 swaro el's that I can hold off hand and make out details on whitetails that I cannot with the 15x due to moving site picture.

Leica does not have the best reputation on warantee. Once it runs out and you have problems, expect to cover any additional costs for repair. Zeiss came out with new combo model to compete and I personally would get their flavor due to the combo of good glass and customer service.

Good luck...

buggsb
03-01-10, 15:42
I have been using a set of Leica Geovids for several years now. I have had the 8x's and the 10x's and both are excellent. The 15x's interest me for the bigger objective lens and it's benefit in lower light, but I think for most applications 15x is too much magnification.

They certainly fill the bill of combining a high quality binocular and a rangefinder into a single set of optics. They are expensive, but are extremely high quality....worth it for me.

Now if only they came with adjustable power (8-15x or 8-20x) as well, they could serve spotting scope duty too...