PDA

View Full Version : The official free Noveske cosmetic 2nd lower thread

ColdDeadHands
02-16-10, 17:05
Please post here if you received a free Noveske cosmetic 2nd lower receiver and let us know what the cosmetic imperfection was.

Dozer
02-16-10, 17:08
I didn't receive one but did buy one. The only "blemish" I could find was were the company info was. I looks like it was misaligned a little and then corrected. It almost looks like a double stamp on it. Other than that, I could not find anything else wrong with it. I ended up building my SBR on it and it runs like a top.

Skyyr
02-16-10, 17:45
I received mine about a week ago (and sold it the next day to offset the cost of the new, unblemished Noveske lower I bought).

The lower was an E-series 2xxx serial number.

One of the imperfections was a slight "rift" on the right side of the magwell (similar to what a plot of land looks like after it's strip-mined), where aluminum had clearly chipped in a ridged pattern, about 1/32" wide and 1/4" long. It was just barely deep enough to be seen. It was anodized over and the surrounding finish was consistent, so it was clearly part of the forging/pre-anodizing process.

The other imperfection was on the left side of the magwell. There were some small (about 3/8") round spots that were purple in finish, apparently where the anodizing didn't take the same color as the rest of the receiver.

Obviously these imperfections are going to be exaggerated in a thread like this (as we're specifically looking for them), but in person, it would have taken you a good two minutes to find these, and then only if you were looking under a bright light at a steep angle (at least to see the purplish spots).

Belmont31R
02-16-10, 17:57
E301X here, and there is a SMALL nick on the right side of the magwell that was anodized over. Took me about 5 minutes looking closely to see what was up. Roll marks look good, machining looks good, etc. This nick is about 1/16th of an inch long and less than that deep. Only thing I can find.

bullseye
02-16-10, 18:05
E301X here, and there is a SMALL nick on the right side of the magwell that was anodized over. Took me about 5 minutes looking closely to see what was up. Roll marks look good, machining looks good, etc. This nick is about 1/16th of an inch long and less than that deep. Only thing I can find.

i bought a 2nd [so-called] from rainier awhile back. several of us looked it over for a while,, this is what we decided.---second my ass!!!!!

DaxE
02-16-10, 18:28
I got a 2nd two weeks ago and it has a couple of places that looks to be from casting under the finish. Like others have said, you have to look hard to notice.

usaffarmer
02-16-10, 19:29
Under uv light some of the factory first lowers are not 100% in the finish, thus making the factory seconds. Thats why some are seconds. It will have nothing to do with function. They hold themselves above the rest.

I just picked up 2 factory first with consecutive serial #s in the EO36xx range.

ColdDeadHands
02-20-10, 11:27
This is the free 2nd I received. The front of the magwell isn't perfect...it's the only blemish I could find.

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/mw1311/Misc/DSC_0107.jpg

VaeVictis
02-20-10, 11:51
The only flaw I could find in my 2nd was a couple small dimples on the outside of the extension ring. Actually when I first got it, it seemed like it had less flaws than my assembled receiver I purchased.

glocktogo
02-20-10, 13:11
Got mine in December and I'll be damned if I can find the flaw. :)

OneUp
02-20-10, 15:40
I received my "blem" E-series lower two weeks ago. I've looked as closely as I care to and I sure as hell can't find a flaw!!

pierce195
02-20-10, 16:40
I got mine this week. Three people have looked it over for about an hour and haven't come with anything that stands out.

Best $8 I have spent in a long time.

DSand
02-20-10, 16:41
I got mine in. I really can't find the flaw. I'll try to get some pics up later.

Whootsinator
02-20-10, 17:19
I got mine this week. Three people have looked it over for about an hour and haven't come with anything that stands out.

Best $8 I have spent in a long time.

Where are you guys buying just Noveske stripped lowers, factory seconds or not? They aren't listed in the products section.

pierce195
02-20-10, 17:25
Where are you guys buying just Noveske stripped lowers, factory seconds or not? They aren't listed in the products section.

I got mine after purchasing a 10.5 upper with the free lower dealer Noveske has going on.

Rainerarms has both Noveske lowers for sale on their website.

bar197
02-20-10, 17:45
I got one and I can't find the first "blem" anywhere. It looks as good as any other upper I own. The only thing I see is when I mounted my factory Noveske upper on it, on the left side the rib doesn't line up perfectly. Other than that I am 100% satisfied with it.

Whootsinator
02-20-10, 17:55
Rainerarms has both Noveske lowers for sale on their website.

And they aren't cheap. :(

ColdDeadHands
02-20-10, 17:57
the cheapest way to get one is to buy a N4 basic upper! :D

pierce195
02-20-10, 18:09
And they aren't cheap. :(

No they are not cheap at all!!

Belmont31R
02-20-10, 18:47
No they are not cheap at all!!

Noveske raised their prices a couple years ago.

One of the 1st stripped lowers I bought was a Noveske from Rainier, and it was about $150 (not a 2nd or blem). Then if I recall right a few months later they went up around $100 with no explanation.

kalibos
02-21-10, 08:24
i bought this as a factory 1st... looks worse than than a 2nd but was told by the people at noveske that it is normal for their receivers when i contacted them about it.

seems like i should have saved some money and just bought a 2nd since they appear to be better quality than this 1st i bought:mad:

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo356/kalibos1/0213002352a.jpg

HiggsBoson
02-21-10, 11:16
I can't really tell from this picture, it's a bit blurry. Could you please describe what it is that is wrong with this lower?

i bought this as a factory 1st... looks worse than than a 2nd but was told by the people at noveske that it is normal for their receivers when i contacted them about it.

seems like i should have saved some money and just bought a 2nd since they appear to be better quality than this 1st i bought:mad:

SnackCracker
02-21-10, 12:47
I got my free lower on Friday.... can't tell it's a second at all. I've looked it over, and over and over... Seriously, the finish is nicer than a lot of the "right side of the chart" AR's Ive looked at lately.

I couldn't be happier with my Noveske :D BTW.. I got it with the 16" Recce Basic Upper.

My first AR and my first build :D

MrCleanOK
02-21-10, 13:44
Couldn't find any flaws in mine until it got an idiot mark during assembly. Somebody else handled it during that time and I didn't knowingly do it, so I'm not 100% sure I'm responsible for it. Lost some anodizing on one of the selector stop bosses.

kalibos
02-21-10, 14:10
I can't really tell from this picture, it's a bit blurry. Could you please describe what it is that is wrong with this lower?

the front of the magwell is raised and and has pretty crappy machining

if i was to want the front engraved for a sbr it couldn't be done

Serpico1985
02-21-10, 20:44
small nick in the rear of the receiver.

Bowser
02-23-10, 00:12
deleted

Mark71
02-23-10, 00:24
My Noveske blem lower can be passed off as new with the only exception being a very faint mark over the rollmark.

J Krammes
02-23-10, 10:20
I got a 2nd last week, and I just can not find anything wrong with it... If I had to be picky, there are a few VERY minor scratches in the anodizing.

Jeremy

Alex V
02-23-10, 14:31
i bought a 2nd [so-called] from rainier awhile back. several of us looked it over for a while,, this is what we decided.---second my ass!!!!!

Bought my from Ranier as well.

I am no expert my any means and maybe you guys would be able to find something, but I could not find a flaw for the life of me. :confused: The only thing about it that maked it s factory second to me is the "2" stamped inside. Otherwise it looks better than the BM lower that came as part of my BM rifle.

Alex V
02-23-10, 14:35
on a side note... why are MA and NJ excluded from this offer?

Belmont31R
02-23-10, 14:43

Your state's gun laws?

Skyyr
02-23-10, 15:07
Your state's gun laws?

They're excluded so that in the off chance someone from one of the named states decides to break the state law and build an assault weapon (in an illegal configuration), they can't be held responsible. Those states have much stricter guidelines to AR's.

Clinotus
02-23-10, 15:09

<- lives in MA.

Lowers are (potentially) considered a firearm federally, but not in MA until there is an upper on it. Its not a 'pistol', its not a 'rifle', its 'other' on the 4473 needed to transfer it to the end user from the FFL.

There are a few scenarios here where you can't transfer 'other' to someone, like out of state, by age, et al, so it would need to be built into a rifle for the transfer.

Its confusing enough that they simply do not want to get involved in the process, if you could call it that.

They're excluded so that in the off chance someone from one of the named states decides to break the state law and build an assault weapon (in an illegal configuration), they can't be held responsible. Those states have much stricter guidelines to AR's.

Somewhat true, they will still sell you a complete upper with pre/post ban features. You are correct though its to much of a hassle/liability for those choice states.

Alex V
02-23-10, 15:34

<- lives in MA.

Lowers are (potentially) considered a firearm federally, but not in MA until there is an upper on it. Its not a 'pistol', its not a 'rifle', its 'other' on the 4473 needed to transfer it to the end user from the FFL.

There are a few scenarios here where you can't transfer 'other' to someone, like out of state, by age, et al, so it would need to be built into a rifle for the transfer.

Its confusing enough that they simply do not want to get involved in the process, if you could call it that.

Somewhat true, they will still sell you a complete upper with pre/post ban features. You are correct though its to much of a hassle/liability for those choice states.

All reasonable answers, but I bought a Noveske stripped lower from Ranier and they transfered it to an New Jersey FFL w/o a problem.

I think the "less headaches if not dealing with good old NJ" is probobly the better explination.

I was actualy thinking of buying and upper from them since I want to use their barrel and a MUR upper. Getting the free lower should have gotten me the lower I wanted as well and saved me money. Good thing I didn't since I would have been left holding my pecker and a voucher for a free lower that I can't get lol.

14point5
02-23-10, 17:16
I bought a 14.5 Low Profile N4 upper and got the cosmetic "seconds" lower receiver with it. I can find no defect and I am completely happy with it.

I added an RRA lower parts kit, a Noveske QD sling mount receiver end plate, and a VLTOR Emod stock (on a mil-spec tube or course) and this finished product is awsome.

This my favorite stick over my LE6940 and M&P15T.

rainman
02-23-10, 17:28
I too found a small knick that had been covered during anodizing. Personally, had I bought the receiver as NIB/perfect, I would have been satisfied.

-Rainman

Nevermiss
02-23-10, 20:35
The only problem with mine is the amount of money that I am spending to build another AR. My lower is at JP as we speak getting a tactical fire control system installed with their 4.5 lb single stage trigger.

I'm either going to build this into a very light .223 or 6.8 for my 8 year-old daughter.

hokahay
02-24-10, 19:15
I thought I posted this before but I'll do it again. I bought one each of the E series. A blem and a good one or what ever. The only real blemish that bugged me the most was the 2 stamped on the back deck indicating it was a second.