PDA

View Full Version : G&R Tactical's FIRST 1911!!!

C4IGrant
04-09-07, 14:01
Well the first G&R 1911 is finally done! I have composed a list of all the components used in this weapon for everyone to see. The items used were all selected for their quality and durability.

With 1911's, subtle things often times go unnoticed (especially on the internet). The biggest thing that impressed me about this 1911 is how it feels in your hand. Not only does your hand sit higher than most other 1911's, but it it also feels narrower at the grip safety. This feature was very noticeable when I went back and forth between my WC CQB. I also had a local Sheriff in the shop (that was carrying a WC 1911) and he noted the exact same thing (high ride & narrower feel).

Other subtle changes to the weapon is the blending of the light rail into the frame. Much narrower than on my WC and blends nicely into the frame. Even the slide release has been trimmed down to give it a more refined look!

The magwell blending is fantastic and clean looking. The slide/frame are polished so highly that it looks like granite. The barrel and trigger guard also received a lot of polishing and blending.

Being a long time 1911 fan, I can honestly say that I have not seen a 1911 with this list of components with this much polishing/tuning/fitting for this price.

C4

SPECS:

Caspian Slide (Carbon)
Caspian Recon Frame (SS)
Caspian Ejector (SS)
Caspian Extractor (SS)
Wilson Combat Pin Set (SS)
Wilson Combat Slide Stop (SS)
Wilson Combat Magazine Catch (SS)
STI Firing Pin (SS)
Ed Brown Beavertail Grip Safety (SS)
Ed Brown Pin Stop
Ed Brown Tactical Extended Safety
Ed Brown Recoil Spring Plug (SS)
Ed Brown Hammer Strut
Ed Brown Grip Screws (SS)
Cylinder & Slide Hammer
Cylinder & Slide Disconnector
Cylinder & Slide Sear
Wolff Recoil/Hammer/Firing Pin/Safety Block/Plunger Tube & Sear Springs
EGW Barrel Bushing (SS)
Nowlin Plunger Tube (SS)
Greider Precision Match Trigger
S&A Mag Guide
SDM Tactical Target Sight (U Notch)
Novak Front Sight (White Outline Tritium Dot Front)
VZ Aliens in Black & OD (Special order not available to the public)
KART NM Barrel (Polished)
Cerakote (Flat Black)
20LPI Checkering (hand filed and sanded to take rough edges off)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/side%20view1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/Side%20view.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/Top%20of%20slide.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/Magwell.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/light%20rail.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/Grip%20Safety.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/Barrel%20bushing.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/barrel%20bushing%20side%20view.jpg

Holster Courtesy of J.W. O'Rourke www.gun-holsters.com

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/Leather%20holster.jpg

VA_Dinger
04-09-07, 14:06
Very impressive.

I have the feeling I'm going to see this baby run first hand come July.

Hawkeye
04-09-07, 14:08
Does this mean I can be expecting one for T&E???

:D

C4IGrant
04-09-07, 14:11
Does this mean I can be expecting one for T&E???

:D

Yes, yours is coming. Go out to your local FFL and wait for it. :D

C4

Hawkeye
04-09-07, 14:18
Yes, yours is coming. Go out to your local FFL and wait for it. :D

C4

Why do I get the feeling I'd be waiting......a bit..:rolleyes:

How rude.

:p

Seriously, that is a nice looking setup.

rhino
04-09-07, 15:05
Being a long time 1911 fan, I can honestly say that I have not seen a 1911 with this list of components with this much polishing/tuning/fitting for this price.

So . . . what is the price?

And may I ask who builds them for you?

It looks really good!

C4IGrant
04-09-07, 15:30
So . . . what is the price?

And may I ask who builds them for you?

It looks really good!

Price is $2,500 and the builder is "Mr. Smith."

C4

alias
04-09-07, 16:09
GREAT looking gun at a GREAT price!!
This 'Mr. Smith' sure ain't driving this years Escalade.

C4IGrant
04-09-07, 16:29
GREAT looking gun at a GREAT price!!
This 'Mr. Smith' sure ain't driving this years Escalade.

LOL, neither is this dealer. Think of this gun as a cost leader in order to get it seen by the shooting public.

C4

rob_s
04-09-07, 16:36
Three questions:
1) Can we see what the rear of the rear sight looks like?

2) Is there any reason you didn't go with the Caspian frame that has the integral magwell?

3) Can we see a pic with the thumb safety engaged?

Nathan_Bell
04-09-07, 17:36
LOL, neither is this dealer. Think of this gun as a cost leader in order to get it seen by the shooting public.

C4

I was looking for a reason to drive down, guess I found it :D

C4IGrant
04-09-07, 17:42
Three questions:
1) Can we see what the rear of the rear sight looks like?

2) Is there any reason you didn't go with the Caspian frame that has the integral magwell?

3) Can we see a pic with the thumb safety engaged?

1. Will get a pic up tomorrow.

2. Yes, the space between the grips and the magwell looks bad (too much space).

3. Will get a pic up tomorrow.

C4

cohiba
04-09-07, 18:07
Grant,

Congrats my friend. Outstanding effort right out of the box. I have no doubt it will be an awesome shooter. If it makes an appearance in July, there may be be another pistol there as well. I'm dying to see a side by side. For the 1911 world, your price is great. I'll be showing this to my gunsmith tomorrow. Good luck!

STS
04-09-07, 18:13
Very nice, and the price makes it extremely competitive - especially considering the components.

alias
04-09-07, 18:17
Without doing any actual work :) , I'd estimate $1400 worth of parts in this pistol. Add $250 for the Ceracoat, $70 to get it back to Grant....
Yikes!!!!
Nevernotevenever ask Mr. Smith about the difference between a pizza and a pistolsmith.
;)

C4IGrant
04-09-07, 18:50
Grant,

Congrats my friend. Outstanding effort right out of the box. I have no doubt it will be an awesome shooter. If it makes an appearance in July, there may be be another pistol there as well. I'm dying to see a side by side. For the 1911 world, your price is great. I'll be showing this to my gunsmith tomorrow. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.

C4

SuicideHz
04-09-07, 19:56
Thanks Grant! I needed to know which safety to get for my SA. That one's it!

I think it looks nice. Not big on the finish because it reminds me of Kimbers.

Oddly enough, the "looks" aspect that appeals to me is what reminds me of the Vickers gun.

*Disclaimer*

I know very little about true quality 1911s past the looks stage :D

LukeMacGillie
04-09-07, 20:43
Price is $2,500 and the builder is "Mr. Smith."

C4

Mr Smith needs to come to Washington!

sjauch
04-09-07, 21:03
WOW Grant, that looks good. I remeber you telling me about these when I paid you a visit. What's going on in July that everyone is going to get to see this?

DrMark
04-09-07, 21:56
Very nice, Grant.

xenophobe
04-10-07, 06:28
Wow... that's really a sweet 1911. Excellent choice of components... I'd only want a short reach trigger, but excellent build!

dubb-1
04-10-07, 08:28
The gun looks very nice, Grant. Though, I wonder why Mr. Smith didn't see fit to do a bit of dehorning on the slide. In the images posted above, that slide looks to be a bit "sharp".

Good features at a popular price point. Good luck, G!

C4IGrant
04-10-07, 08:34
The gun looks very nice, Grant. Though, I wonder why Mr. Smith didn't see fit to do a bit of dehorning on the slide. In the images posted above, that slide looks to be a bit "sharp".

Good features at a popular price point. Good luck, G!

Not sure what part your looking at, but there are NO sharp edges.

We prefer that our 1911's not look like a "wet bar of soap."

C4

rob_s
04-10-07, 09:00
Gotta go with Dubb on this one. This pic in particular looks awefully un-touched.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/GR%201911/barrel%20bushing%20side%20view.jpg

Contrast that pic with this one from Bob Rodgers site
http://rodgerspistolsmithing.com/stan805.jpg

This is the complete pistol, hardly "bar of soap" looking
http://rodgerspistolsmithing.com/stan802.jpg

dubb-1
04-10-07, 09:49
Not sure what part your looking at, but there are NO sharp edges.

We prefer that our 1911's not look like a "wet bar of soap."

C4

Grant, maybe it is the images, or poor lighting. I don't know. I just see edges that look sharper than what I am used to seeing on a 1911 of this caliber. Perhaps some different pics will show my error.?.? As you know, I thought you were crazy for taking this project on, as the high-end 1911 market is so finnicky and saturated. But I support you today like I did initially. I was just making an observation and posing a question. I though maybe the builder had a reason for performing the dehorn the way I perceive...:cool:

FinalFusion
04-10-07, 10:35
thats one sick 1911 Grant!!! :D

C4IGrant
04-10-07, 10:45
Gotta go with Dubb on this one. This pic in particular looks awefully un-touched.

Contrast that pic with this one from Bob Rodgers site
http://rodgerspistolsmithing.com/stan805.jpg

This is the complete pistol, hardly "bar of soap" looking
http://rodgerspistolsmithing.com/stan802.jpg

It is not dehorned like the one in your pic. The edge however is not sharp as I cannot cut myself on it.

The smith that builds these guns likes the more traditional lines of the 1911. This is simply personal taste and really matters not the functionality of the weapon. 1911's with rounded corners detract from the clean lines of the weapon. Not everyone likes that look nor is it really needed.

C4

C4IGrant
04-10-07, 10:48
Grant, maybe it is the images, or poor lighting. I don't know. I just see edges that look sharper than what I am used to seeing on a 1911 of this caliber. Perhaps some different pics will show my error.?.? As you know, I thought you were crazy for taking this project on, as the high-end 1911 market is so finnicky and saturated. But I support you today like I did initially. I was just making an observation and posing a question. I though maybe the builder had a reason for performing the dehorn the way I perceive...:cool:

I guess my definition of dehorned and yours are different. If I cannot cut or stick myself with the edge then it is GTG. Others like a more rounded edge (which is just fine), but was not the goal with this 1911.

C4

Dport
04-10-07, 11:12
So when does the 9mm version come out.:D

dubb-1
04-10-07, 11:18
I don't think we disagree. Dehorning is not an aesthetic operation for me, but a necessary one to be able to manipulate the weapon under duress, during extended training sessions, etc. I have never been a fan of Clarkesque, bar-of-soap dehorns, though I am open to different takes on dehorning from basic edge breaking, to CT Brian's aggressive bevel, as long as it isn't that bar-of-soap style. You'd have to increase bandwidth to get into a 1911 personal preference conversation.;)

Again, if it doesn't poke, stick, or cut you, then it is, indeed, GTG. If that was the goal, and the end product achieved that, then that is all that matters. The gun is well thought out, and incorporates quality components at a competitive price. Definitely worth a look.:)

C4IGrant
So when does the 9mm version come out.:D

Funny you should say that. I am sending "Mr. Smith" a STI 9mm to be re-worked (body polishing, S&W magwell, Cerakoted, etc). :D

C4

rob_s
It is not dehorned like the one in your pic. The edge however is not sharp as I cannot cut myself on it.

The smith that builds these guns likes the more traditional lines of the 1911. This is simply personal taste and really matters not the functionality of the weapon. 1911's with rounded corners detract from the clean lines of the weapon. Not everyone likes that look nor is it really needed.

C4
While I agree that the gun will still go bang regardless of the edge condition, this is exactly the type of subjective thing that made folks like Dubb and myself warn you about the perils of the $2k+ 1911 market.

Everyone is going to have things they like about this gun, and things they don't. For $2500 though you're going to have to find that 1% who REALLY like EVERYTHING about the gun. Or at least down to things they can easily change (like the grip screws). People are willing to concede alot in the $500 price range, but not so much at $2500.

Just as one general note, I think you may find that the 25 LPI is gaining increased popularity and will appeal to both 20 and 30 LPI advocates.

Frankly, other than the edges being somewhat sharper than my personal tastes, the frontstrap checkering is probably the biggest thing that would keep me from buying one of these.

I wish you well with the project, I sincerely do.

dubb-1
04-10-07, 11:20
Funny you should say that. I am sending "Mr. Smith" a STI 9mm to be re-worked (body polishing, S&W magwell, Cerakoted, etc). :D

C4

Always some irons in the fire, huh?:D

C4IGrant
04-10-07, 11:24
While I agree that the gun will still go bang regardless of the edge condition, this is exactly the type of subjective thing that made folks like Dubb and myself warn you about the perils of the $2k+ 1911 market.

Everyone is going to have things they like about this gun, and things they don't. For $2500 though you're going to have to find that 1% who REALLY like EVERYTHING about the gun. Or at least down to things they can easily change (like the grip screws). People are willing to concede alot in the $500 price range, but not so much at $2500.

Just as one general note, I think you may find that the 25 LPI is gaining increased popularity and will appeal to both 20 and 30 LPI advocates.

Frankly, other than the edges being somewhat sharper than my personal tastes, the frontstrap checkering is probably the biggest thing that would keep me from buying one of these.

I wish you well with the project, I sincerely do.

I fully understand that people like what they like. It doesn't mean that their opinion is the only one or that it is even the right one. :D

This pistol (if you take all the items used and all the hours of labor) would cost you at least $3K (if you could even find a smith to do the work).

The 20LPI has been "cut down" so it feels like 25LPI (which was the intended goal).

C4

C4IGrant
04-10-07, 11:27
Always some irons in the fire, huh?:D

Too many I am I think. :( This project is an easy one as I don't have to do any of the heavy lifting.
I am working on some economical AR's (complete) that will compete against RRA/Oly/BM, but feature better componets for around $750! :D

C4

dubb-1
04-10-07, 11:28
Too many I am I think. :( This project is an easy one as I don't have to do any of the heavy lifting.
I am working on some economical AR's (complete) that will compete against RRA/Oly/BM, but feature better componets for around $750! :D

C4

You've been holding out on me...:(

C4IGrant
04-10-07, 11:30
You've been holding out on me...:(

LOL, yes I have. You will see some info posted on here as soon as I finish testing them out.

C4

rob_s
04-10-07, 11:33
I fully understand that people like what they like. It doesn't mean that their opinion is the only one or that it is even the right one. :D

I'm not saying that what I want is "right", only that it's right for me. Just in terms of the business of selling these things I think you'd want to try to kind of average out what people want.

ADCO tried something similar, at a lower price point, with their "ADCO-spec" RRA guns. They were "only" $1500+/- and people balked at little individual aspects. Frankly, the front strap treatment was what kept me away from those as well.

I'm using my tastes as an example of what I think you're going to find with alot of people, not that what I want is the only way. Other people will just object to different features than I do.

C4IGrant
04-10-07, 11:36
I'm not saying that what I want is "right", only that it's right for me. Just in terms of the business of selling these things I think you'd want to try to kind of average out what people want.

ADCO tried something similar, at a lower price point, with their "ADCO-spec" RRA guns. They were "only" $1500+/- and people balked at little individual aspects. Frankly, the front strap treatment was what kept me away from those as well.

I'm using my tastes as an example of what I think you're going to find with alot of people, not that what I want is the only way. Other people will just object to different features than I do.

I understand what you are saying. I guess I am not really worried about it, as I have several folks wanting these and can most likley only produce 5 a year.

C4

SuicideHz
04-10-07, 21:04
Can you cut your hand on any 1911? Damn. I wouldn't have thunkit, that's for sure.

Concerning the beavertail photo- does Cerakote always orange peel like that? Is it a necessary step in it's curing/hardening or what? I thought it was supposed to be a lot like Duracoat...

rob_s
04-10-07, 21:17
Can you cut your hand on any 1911? Damn. I wouldn't have thunkit, that's for sure.

Pick up any out-of-the-box Springfield loaded and get back to me.:D

Paulinski
04-10-07, 22:31
Great component selection and good looking 1911 tas well

Fine Work Grant

SuicideHz
04-10-07, 23:21
Pick up any out-of-the-box Springfield loaded and get back to me.:D

Ok Rob. I've got it in my hands. It's 4-5 months out of the box but it hasn't been de-horned or anything.

The sharpest thing is the safety which still hasn't shaved any skin off of my thumb while swiping it up and on.

sparrow
04-11-07, 01:53
Nice work Grant, I've had several custom Govt. models including a Springfield Professional Model and I like the way you've kept the lines intact, I'm not a fan of the "melts" myself.

macman37
04-11-07, 06:35
That is just a work of art... Nicely done!

C4IGrant
04-11-07, 08:35

Concerning the beavertail photo- does Cerakote always orange peel like that? Is it a necessary step in it's curing/hardening or what? I thought it was supposed to be a lot like Duracoat...

There is no "orange peel" feel or look to the touch or human eye. My digital camera basically magnified the finish and it makes it appear like something it is not.

Cerakote makes Durakote look like Krylon in its durability. The down side to Cerakote is that it is EXTREMELY hard to apply properly. Meaning, that Cerakote does not have a self leveling agent in it like other finishes. This means that you have to HIGHLY polish the weapon for Cerakote to look perfect.

Most of your high-end production weapons do not use or would never use Cerakote as a finish because of the amount of polishing needed to be done on the weapon to make it look right.

C4

C4IGrant
04-11-07, 08:37
Nice work Grant, I've had several custom Govt. models including a Springfield Professional Model and I like the way you've kept the lines intact, I'm not a fan of the "melts" myself.

Thanks and nor are we fans of the "melted" weapons. We want our 1911's to look like 1911's (not Glocks).

C4

crowkiller
04-11-07, 09:46
Grant, I can honestly say that I would not change a thing about that 1911. Seriously I like EVERYTHING about this gun you have created imo the perfect 1911. You have good taste my friend and your 1911 has class. I sure wish I had the cash, I need to get a freakin 2nd job to fund my gun habit dang it. :mad:

uranus
04-11-07, 13:00
Grant:

Great choice of components and a beautiful pistol.

I wish you the best success with this model.

SuicideHz
04-11-07, 19:27
Yeah, I guess the texture is a lot smaller than I originally thought. I happen to like fine texture of park- like a chalkboard.

C4IGrant
04-13-07, 12:18
Grant:

Great choice of components and a beautiful pistol.

I wish you the best success with this model.

Thank you.

C4

Lumpy196
04-14-07, 18:08
Thats AWESOME. The parts you spec'd are nearly 100% for the ones I prefer. And not obnoxious front serrations!! Praise The Lord. :D

C4IGrant
04-15-07, 13:16
Thats AWESOME. The parts you spec'd are nearly 100% for the ones I prefer. And not obnoxious front serrations!! Praise The Lord. :D

Glad you like it. Front serrations are goofy as hell and really serve no purpose (which is why they are not on there). :D

C4

Lumpy196
06-02-07, 21:25
Any updates?

the1911fan
06-03-07, 01:27
Looks like a well thought out gun and well worth the asking $$$. One question is the the slide stop flush fit with the frame or does it protrude?

Reminds me of the SA Pro Rail a bit

KevinB
06-04-07, 11:38
Update - it still looks nice. ;)
Sorry Lumpy.

One reason I like edgier (is that a word?) 1911's (and hanguns in general) is if you need to rack the slide off something - its much eaiser to use an edged piece than something round.

I had debated de-horning my 1911 here -- but decided that since it was not really a CCW gun - the edged did not bother my gloves or 6004 at all.