PDA

View Full Version : Has there been a price adjustment

yosel
02-16-10, 19:15
I am shopping for a Colt 6920. I have found pricing anywhere from $1,400.00 locally to $ 1300.00 locally and $ 1100.00 both locally and on the net.

Has there been a recent price adjustment so that some dealers are stuck with more expensive guns or is there such a wide range of pricing based upon profit margin? Or is there some way that the cheaper ones are somehow different? I would think that one new 6920 is the same as another 6920.

I have put the $1100.00 one on hold as that seems to be the best price around, and I do not have to pay shipping or pay FFL fees. It comes with 2- 20 round mags and a sling so it sounds legit and two places are offering them in the same ballpark.

Maybe they are overstocked and short of cash in this bad environment

Any advice would be appreciated.

fdxpilot
02-16-10, 19:30
The guys asking $13-1400 may still be stuck in the post-election feeding frenzy mindset of last year. They may have also bought those rifles from another dealer at a high price last year and still hope to make a profit.

yosel
02-16-10, 19:31
That makes sense. Do you know what the approximate cost to a dealer is, just curious, everyone is entitled to make a profit.

M4Guru
02-16-10, 19:39
Depends on what distributor you get it from. However, I don't think the paying dealers here would appreciate listing their wholesale prices for the world to see.

yosel
02-19-10, 21:01
Purchased from a local dealer for $ 1,100.+ tax. I'm happy.
That was the lowest price I had seen anywhere.
I took delivery at a local show. A dealer 2 aisles over had the same gun out for $ 1,400.00.

This is a crazy business, how can anyone make money?

Propblast
02-19-10, 21:54
I can be difficult at time, and down right hard most of the time. Going out on a limb here and saying that the dealer you got it from is probably set up as a distributor and not just a dealer, so he gets volume distributor pricing and not dealer prices.
IT kinda sucks for us small shop guys but that is the way it is.

MarkG
02-19-10, 23:29
Purchased from a local dealer for $ 1,100.+ tax. I'm happy.
That was the lowest price I had seen anywhere.
I took delivery at a local show. A dealer 2 aisles over had the same gun out for $ 1,400.00.

They are losing their ass selling a 6920 for $1100.

cschwanz
02-20-10, 08:27

and hopefully when you need parts/new stuff you'll go back to them and they can make it back then. business 101, get a customer coming back again and again...you'll make money off them.

yosel
02-20-10, 09:55

Maybe, maybe not.

They are a large retail operation and have good sales at the gun shows. They may have enough purchasing power to be able to sell at this level and still profit. Just while I was filling out the paperwork they sold 2 or three handguns. And that was Friday night at a small show without a lot of traffic.

I don't know much about the gun business but I know business.

In any business there are usually multiple price levels at which product can be purchased. What a high volume dealer spends for a product can vary widely from what a low volume dealer spends. This is true for a can of beans, a suit of clothes, a widget or I presume guns.

and hopefully when you need parts/new stuff you'll go back to them and they can make it back then. business 101, get a customer coming back again and again...you'll make money off them.

Maybe that is part of what they are thinking. At any rate you can be certain that they will be the first shop I think of the next time I want to buy.

Something that was interesting to me was they only had the big ticket items, pistols and rifles. They were not selling mags, or accessories. They must know what they are doing. They have been at the shows for five or ten years and always have plenty of people working the tables.