PDA

View Full Version : Treating myself to a Noveske N4 Light Recce 16 - Trigger Q's

exotic-toys
02-16-10, 19:31
Good Evening!

I'm 'treating' myself to a 16" N4 Recce Noveske this week to replace a 6920 that I let go a few months ago. Is the Stock trigger just a std AR trigger that I'm going to dislike as much as my old Colt Triggers? Is it worth upgrading to the Geissele SSA Trigger? The only other option I'm having them perform is the A2 FH.

Skyyr
02-16-10, 19:38
Good Evening!

I'm 'treating' myself to a 16" N4 Recce Noveske this week to replace a 6920 that I let go a few months ago. Is the Stock trigger just a std AR trigger that I'm going to dislike as much as my old Colt Triggers? Is it worth upgrading to the Geissele SSA Trigger? The only other option I'm having them perform is the A2 FH.

The stock Noveske triggers are Stag LPK triggers and are about as basic as they come. I had a Recon lower with the Stag trigger and upgraded to an SSA. It was well worth the money.

Belmont31R
02-16-10, 20:02
If you can get an SSA. Well worth it.

exotic-toys
02-16-10, 20:05
If you can get an SSA. Well worth it.

Well worth the $155?

Belmont31R
02-16-10, 20:13
Well worth the $155?

Yes they are...

seb5
02-16-10, 20:15
Well worth the $155?

Very much so. I gave $170.00 each for the two I own and would like to replace my other two with them when fundage allows.

exotic-toys
02-16-10, 20:23
Would you all rate an SSA better or worse than RRA NM trigger?

Skyyr
02-16-10, 20:29

Noticeably better.

Nevermiss
02-16-10, 21:29
I have the N4 Recce 16" as well. I finally got around to sending my lower to JP to have them install their 4.0 lb trigger with the tactical fire control group.

The stock trigger that Noveske uses is GI trigger. It's like sticking cheap retread tires on a Ferrari. However, that being said, I think it makes sense for Noveske to use the GI trigger because most end users of their rifles will probably want to replace it with the precision trigger of their choice and there are many good options.

JHC
02-16-10, 21:41
I have learned here and elsewhere where the "hard use" professionals gather, that the crappy GI triggers are superb for what these carbines are built for. My N4 carbine has such a trigger and yep, it's a basic GI trigger. This has not inhibited good hits in 3 gun, or even brag-able groups from the bench.

The RRA NM 2 stage in a BM lower on which my N4 Recce upper sits, allows slightly prettier groups from the bench but that trigger is "going" and no longer resets quite normally.

seb5
02-16-10, 21:51

I don't think it feels much better, it just doesn't go bad in a 1000 rounds. The difference of $50.00 is a false economy. For those that won't ever shoot 1000 rounds let alone 10,000 the RRA is probably fine. I've had several over the years before knowing any better. My first went many 1000's of rounds before turning into a single stage, the next 2 didn't last long.

TOrrock
02-16-10, 22:30
Good Evening!

Hey man, good to see you over here!

That's going to be a mighty fine blaster. RRA match triggers have a reputation for crapping the bed before they should.

M4Fundi
02-17-10, 00:10
I dumped my N4 trigger and put the Geissele SSA in it. I love the trigger as it feels almost exactly like my FAL and I can't blame long range shot misses on the stock trigger anymore. I would like to have played with the Wilson trigger before the purchase out of curiosity to know what a great single stage feels like, but the Geissele is definitely worth the $:D

Bimmer
02-17-10, 00:32
Well worth the $155?

This is my question, too.

I had Bill Springfield work his magic on my crappy trigger, and now it's wonderful. I can't imagine how a $155 trigger would be $120 better than a $35 trigger job...

Bimmer

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-17-10, 02:44
That's going to be a mighty fine blaster. RRA match triggers have a reputation for crapping the bed before they should.

Is there a good time to crap the bed???

I have Noveske, SSA and High-Speed triggers. I'd have to say that I'm a trigger snob, but I like the SSA the best. Damn nice trigger and you put it in and don't have to monkey or worry about it- just run it. The Noveske in my MPL Reece isn't bad- what I really like is its short, very positive reset.

Eric
02-17-10, 05:17
Is the Stock trigger just a std AR trigger that I'm going to dislike as much as my old Colt Triggers?
Yes. At least you won't end up with .170 pins.

Is it worth upgrading to the Geissele SSA Trigger?
Ultimately that's up to the end user, but I sure dig mine. It's one of the few two-stage triggers that I would even consider in a duty/defensive AR.

I had Bill Springfield work his magic on my crappy trigger, and now it's wonderful. I can't imagine how a $155 trigger would be $120 better than a $35 trigger job...
Glad yours worked. Mine did not.

exotic-toys
02-17-10, 05:20
I have Noveske, SSA and High-Speed triggers. I'd have to say that I'm a trigger snob, but I like the SSA the best. Damn nice trigger and you put it in and don't have to monkey or worry about it- just run it.

FMCDH - Couldn't agree more and is also my sentiments as well

Hey man, good to see you over here!

Tim, I like the site! I like the knowledge! Knew where I wanted to research my new baby. ;)

I have the N4 Recce 16" as well. I finally got around to sending my lower to JP to have them install their 4.0 lb trigger with the tactical fire control group.

The stock trigger that Noveske uses is GI trigger. It's like sticking cheap retread tires on a Ferrari. However, that being said, I think it makes sense for Noveske to use the GI trigger because most end users of their rifles will probably want to replace it with the precision trigger of their choice and there are many good options.

Neveremiss, I attended a Wisconsin shoot not too long ago and had the privileged of shooting an AR with a tuned trigger from JP. It was amazing.

exotic-toys
02-17-10, 05:25
Glad yours worked. Mine did not.

I went with a trigger job on another weapon platform and I wasn't a believer either. Personally, I would've been better served to just put the decent trigger in from the get go. Reason I'm pushing so hard from the start on this.

Gents,
I appreciate all the feedback and I'm very excited to get this Novetske! Haven't been this excited about a 'weapon' purchase in years! I hope this thing 'oozes' the quality that I've read about.

CoryCop25
02-17-10, 05:33
Well worth the $155?

Please tell where they are for sale at $155....

exotic-toys
02-17-10, 05:37
Please tell where they are for sale at $155....

When purchasing a new Noveske you can 'upgrade' for $155.

ColdDeadHands
02-17-10, 07:03
Good Evening!

I'm 'treating' myself to a 16" N4 Recce Noveske this week to replace a 6920 that I let go a few months ago.

Congrats! My Light Reece upper will get here tomorrow. It's going to be a loooong day...