PDA

View Full Version : KNS Pins & SSA Trigger

m1a_scoutguy
02-17-10, 00:49
Hey guys,,maybe a silly question,,but figured I would ask anyways. I just installed a SSA Geissele Trigger in my recent build and used the trigger pins that came with it. I have a set of KNS trigger pins kicking around and wondering if they are compatable with this setup ? I know some trigger guys want you to use only there pins !:confused: Thanks in advance for any info !

oef24
02-17-10, 00:57
The combo has worked for me on a POF lower. Go for it!

O

Paladin4415
02-17-10, 01:39
The KNS pins will work fine with the SSA. They should not be used with the Geissele High Speed adjustable trigger.

kdcgrohl
02-17-10, 09:38
I just put that combo together, function tested fine. Haven't fired it yet though.:mad:

m1a_scoutguy
02-17-10, 11:33
Hey guys,,thanks for the quick response !!! They are going into a new build,,I'll have done in a week or so,,I'll post some pic's and a range report when I'm done !!!! Thanks again !!!!:)

lanceriley
02-17-10, 11:39
worked fine in my ar15 with SSF trigger.

Sir James
02-21-10, 12:16
I have three SSA's all with the KNS pins. Some say that they are not needed in a rifle that is not "Full Auto" but I wanted the added insurance of the pins not working themselves out. No issues with functionality on any of the three so far. The first set has close to a thousand rds on it.

Sir James

threebanger
02-21-10, 15:19
Geissele's come w/fitted pins & I know some of the 2 stage's hammer pins have clips. I would just save the KNS pins for another build unless you really think they will help. I'd call Mr. Geissele and ask.

liaisons
02-21-10, 15:56
Geissele's come w/fitted pins & I know some of the 2 stage's hammer pins have clips. I would just save the KNS pins for another build unless you really think they will help. I'd call Mr. Geissele and ask.

+1... KNS pins are not necessary. To each his own though.

vicious_cb
02-21-10, 16:08
From Bill Geissele himself:

DasRonin,

I didn't see an email from you. It might have got hung up in my spam filter or something.

Here is the deal on non-rotating pins

Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia +/-0.0001
Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size
Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in our triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up.

Yes, our website is a total mess. We have a new one almost ready but I would rather spend time in the shop. We doubled our manufacturing floor space in Dec and am still getting everything set up. BTW - the company has a Facebook page if you guys want to check us out.

I hope this helps, guys. Don't ever hesitate to contact me if questions come up.

lanceriley
02-21-10, 18:20
From Bill Geissele himself:

DasRonin,

I didn't see an email from you. It might have got hung up in my spam filter or something.

Here is the deal on non-rotating pins

Geissele SSA pins are 0.1550" dia +/-0.0001
Holes in the trigger can be 5 tenths over Geissele pin size
Kns pins are either .154 or .1555. So they are either too loose or just about a metal to metal fit in our triggers

Geissele pins are chrome-moly steel that is rough turned, rough ground, heat treated and then centerless finish ground. They are a quality pin.

Why do we not recommend KNS pins? One is that they are the wrong size. Can the smaller diameter pins work? Yes, but they are not the intended size and there can be a 'softer" break to the 2nd stage with them.

But the biggest reason is that the KNS pins are soft. Sometimes when they are installed they pull up a burr that causes havoc with trigger operation. I get calls from frustrated customers where they are totally disappointed in their SSA because it either feels terrible or it hangs up. I spend all kinds of time on the phone wracking my brain trying to figure out what is going on and trying to work the customer through the problem. Finally, I ask the customer to send the trigger in (which I hate to inconvenience the customer with) and the issue is that the KNS pins are jamming the trigger up.

Yes, our website is a total mess. We have a new one almost ready but I would rather spend time in the shop. We doubled our manufacturing floor space in Dec and am still getting everything set up. BTW - the company has a Facebook page if you guys want to check us out.

I hope this helps, guys. Don't ever hesitate to contact me if questions come up.

whoops! I have SSF and KNS. I felt that the KNS was tighter on my frame. I tried inserting both pins in the body and measuring them. KNS was thicker.

m1a_scoutguy
02-21-10, 19:52
Hmmmmm,that is some interesting info for sure Bill,,,thanks for the tips !!! Now when I first put the SSA trigger in the pins did feel very snug and kinda clicked in almost,,very nice fit I thought !!! I just happen to have the KNS pins kicking around & figured I would put them to use. But with all that said,,I guess I will keep a close eye on the setup & maybe take out the KNS,,hit them with the Dial Calipers and see whats up !!! If there small or if there big compared to the Standard Pins !! I'll keep ya posted for sure !!! :)

lanceriley
02-21-10, 22:24
inmy case... my original pins were GI pins so they were on the small side since they were probably built in the 70s. 2nd the geissele pins did measure 1.1535 while the KNS measured 1.155 so I opted to use the kns. but .. i've only shot about 150 rounds thru mine and a few hundred dry fire..