PDA

View Full Version : Stick with Noveske or go with BCM?

jwfuhrman
02-17-10, 08:13
right now I have a 10.5in Noveske barrel that Im trying to sell. I want to go with a tad longer barrel for more velocity on my SBR. I was gonna get the 12.5in Noveske Crusader barrel but, because we all know, times are tough(actually they suck ass), money is hard to come by. I am now thinking maybe just go with a 11.5in BCM barrel to save some money.

I LOVE Noveske, their barrels are AMAZING. But Ive also seen/read/heard great things about BCM products(my SBR has a BCM BCG).

Just trying to get a feel for what I should do.

ColdDeadHands
02-17-10, 08:16
I don't think you gain much by going an inch longer. I say leave it as is. Your wallet will thank you...

Rated21R
02-17-10, 08:19
DD 12.5 inch :D

jwfuhrman
02-17-10, 09:20
Kinda what Im thinking maybe. I have my barrel on gun broker right now, and if I end the damn thing early, it automatically sells to the high bidder. No sure what I want to do. I may end up just selling the KX3 I have and go with a AAC mount as I plan on going the suppressor route when money isnt so tight.....

jwfuhrman
02-17-10, 11:39
Guess I just needed someone else to tell me to save my money and keep what I have cause that's what I decided to do haha. Had been debating if I should or not.

ColdDeadHands
02-17-10, 12:20
I'm glad I could help! :D

spamsammich
02-17-10, 15:24
Originally Posted by BravoCompany

"Q: Why BCM chose the 11.5" SBR over the 10.5"

I get this question a lot. It is a good one. When we spec our program we can build anything we would like, so we sat down and looked at the pros and cons.

First Statement: I know a good 10.5" SBR can run very well. I personally own a semi MK18 type and it runs great. No problems.

A: Dwell time.
Dwell time is the time that your gas operated weapon maintains pressure to continue the cycling of the weapon. It primarily exsists from the time the bullet passes the gas port in the barrel to the time the bullet exits the muzzle. When you pull the trigger and fire the weapon the movement of the bolt carrier group unlocks the bolt, extracts, and ejects the spent casing. Then it cocks the weapon, feeds, chambers the next round, and then locks again. One of the thing that can make SBRs finicky is the dwell time (or lack of).

The 11.5" carbine is approximately 4% longer weapon than its' 10.5" counterpart, but this extra inch gives the barrel a 40% increase in length for dwell time. IMHO, this is an excellent trade off. This additional dwell time (all other things being equal) will allow the carbine to be more forgiving to different ammo types, extremes in air temperature, weak or worn extractor springs, worn extractors, buffer weights, etc.

Last Statement: For those folks who have a 10.5" that works very well, I would reply; me too. (see first statement)

If I had to "go to war" with a AR15 Carbine, I would grab the BCM 11.5".
The BCM 11.5" Runs Like a Dream.

Hope this info helps,
Paul

I had one of BCM's 11.5s w/ FA BCG on a pistol lower for a while and it shot every 55gr variety I could feed through it, even some reloads. Round count was admittedly low, but I was specifically trying to get it to choke and it didn't. I'd get one again if I could own a real SBR, pistols ARs aren't my thing.

MikeCLeonard
02-17-10, 16:51
Going from 10.5" to 11.5" will give you approximately 40% more dwell time. That equals lower chamber pressure and easier/better extraction. While not a huge difference in velocity, the added inch will make for better cycling.

BCM themselves advocate the 11.5" over 10.5" for this reason, so just something to think about.

I think the BCM barrel would be an excellent choice if you want to go a little longer.