PDA

View Full Version : Amazing how quickly the appetite comes back!

rob_s
02-17-10, 09:29
I've started some VERY light weight work in the mornings again after over a year, probably closer to two, off. I was at 180 at my peak of working out, eating right, etc. and am now down closer to 160. Family health issues, my own injuries, and time constraints all contributed to the downtime. When I first stopped working out I noticed the muscle I had turning to fat and so I have reduced my intake in the down time to at least stay trim (I'd rather be "skinny" and out of shape than fat and out of shape).

I'm sitting here at my desk now at 10 AM and already starving, even though my workouts are very, very light so far (almost entirely body-weight stuff) and I've already begun to increase my intake. Yesterday by the time I got home I was STARVING.

I think I'm going to have to get back to my old habits of keeping the desk drawers stocked with things like peanuts and mini cans of tuna. I actually already have a 3-pack of mini cans sitting here right now and I think I'm going to go scarf one down, mayo and relish be damned.

N4LtRecce
02-19-10, 10:12
I always keep something on me to snack on if I get hungry while I'm out. My favorite have been the mini Clif bars that come in an 18 pack from the grocery store. Small, handy, and easy to eat on the go. The tuna cans are good, too, but I prefer the little tuna pouches myself.

I end up eating every 2-4 hours depending on what I'm doing, otherwise I end up starving if I wait for "normal" eating intervals. That way I stay satiated and don't pig out come meal time.

Here's a link to the Clif bars if you're interested, nutrition facts are on the page as well: http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_clif_bar_mini/

rob_s
02-19-10, 10:54
Thanks for the link. Looks good, but I'm not too thrilled with the psyllium in the ingredients list. At least there doesn't appear to be any fake sweeteners on first glance.

Ingredients:

Organic Brown Rice Syrup
Organic Rolled Oats
Soy Protein Isolate
Rice Flour
Barley Malt Extract
Organic Roasted Soybeans
Organic Soy Flour
Organic Evaporated Cane Juice
Evaporated Cane Juice
Unsweetened Chocolate
Cocoa Butter
Soy Lecithin
Natural Flavors
Organic Date Paste
Cocoa
Organic Sunflower Oil
Cocoa (processed with alkali)
Apple Fiber
Organic Oat Fiber
Organic Milled Flaxseed
Inulin [Chicory Extract
Psyllium
Natural Flavors
Sea Salt

Iraq Ninja
02-19-10, 12:49
Clif Bars are about the only good thing we get over here in our dining facilities, totally free of course. We used to get those HOOAH bars but these are much better.

They are very popular with the troops here as well.

Pi3
02-22-10, 16:18
http://www.lance.com/products/sandwich-crackers/peanut-butter-whole-grain

like you said "every 2 to 4 hours". Peanut butter crackers, fruit & nut mix, corn chips, whatever is free in the break room.

VMI-MO
02-22-10, 16:56
Rice cake with peanut butter & bananna slices

Can of tuna

peanut butter & apple

peanut butter, honey, bananna sandwich

all good in my book

PJ

rugbymike
02-23-10, 00:38
Clif Bars and Clif Blocks don't sound enticing at all based on their ingredients, but you may be supprised. And if you are a fat boy like me dip a choclate Clif Bar in peanutbutter.... SO GOOD!!! I'm the last guy to care about things being organic and what not, but don't let the ingredients fool you, Clif Bars are good.

Dos Cylindros
02-23-10, 09:54
Nothing wrong with the stuff in Cliff bars. As long as you are not taking in any type of enriched flours, hydrogonated oils or high fructos corn syrup you are fairly GTG. High fiber, high protien is the best.

rob_s
02-23-10, 11:37
Eating a Clif right now. Found them at Costco for $20/box of 24. This one is Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch and is pretty good. thanks to those that recommended them.

St.Michael
02-24-10, 22:41
Cliff bars are horrid for you, but they do taste great!

02-25-10, 14:19
Rob,
Can't recall where I saw a relatively recent picture of you but you looked too thin. Look on the bright side: you indicate you haven't been leading the healthiest lifestyle since being around 180# and healthy, and you lost weight, not gained. You were obviously still doing something right. I peaked around 1.5 yrs. ago at 195# with heavy cardio and lifting. Appetite was huge. Just made sure I ate healthy. Fast forward to now. Around 20# overweight but back in the groove. Running, plyometrics(can't recommend enough), and weights. Careful on what I eat. Will have it dropped within 6wks. My longwinded reply is that you are starting from a good place. Buy a kitchen scale, measure amounts(if you can deal with it), exercise, and get where you want to be.

If you're looking at using body weight for most exercises, go with plyometrics. Used by many good athletes. Examples: go to my front brick steps(3 steps high), face them with feet approx. shoulder with, and jump as far back onto flat area in front of door as possible, turn, hustle down steps, turn, repeat. I use a timer, started at 45 secs., each wk. add 15 secs. It will wear you out but has several benefits. Box "jumps"- constructed a wooden box approx. 18in. high. Stand next to box. "Shuffle" so that left leg goes onto box, then bring right leg onto box: now standing on top, move left leg to ground followed by right leg. Movements happen as quickly as possible so you are shuffling up and down the box, from one side to the other. Timed also. Another butt-kicker. Got more if interested. Running-great. Swimming-great. Ever considered getting into martial arts? Pretty sure you have the mentality.

Do you have access to a 'fridge at work? I like to keep veggies around to munch on. It actually takes more calories to digest celery than it contains. I keep baby carrots, celery, cucumber chips, small tomatoes, cauliflower, and add just a little fat free ranch or hummus for taste. Bought a dehydrator to use on lean meat cuts for snacks also. Canned salmon isn't bad either.

rob_s
02-25-10, 14:37
Rob,
Can't recall where I saw a relatively recent picture of you but you looked too thin. Look on the bright side: you indicate you haven't been leading the healthiest lifestyle since being around 180# and healthy, and you lost weight, not gained.

I wouldn't call it unhealthy, I just realized that if I was going to be more sedentary I could either continue to eat at the same volume and let the muscle turn to fat, or I could continue eating the same QUALITY of food but at a lower volume and get thinner. At first it was turning to fat, and I was starting to get a gut and moobs. Reduce intake to match activity level and no more moobs.

I would generally rather be thin than fat, given an equal lack of physical activity.

At my peak I was over 180, probably pushing 185+. I held at that peak for several years over several "plans" and a pretty consistent combination of running in the park across the street and weights in my bedroom. I'm 6' and about 165 right now. However I was 6' tall and 140 lbs in high school after 20+ days in the hospital and recovery time for three collapsed lungs over the span of a little over a year, so I'm very "small boned" (to steal a term from the fatbodies that refer to their fatbody kids as "big boned" :D ).

Like you, I know what I need to do, and am working towards doing it. This time around I'm adding the criteria of not eating a lot of fake sugars, weird chemicals, etc. I will eat sugar, fat, cholesterol, etc. all day long as long as it comes in natural ways and isn't some bio-engineered freak thing.

02-25-10, 17:09
Moobs! Classic.

Dos Cylindros
02-25-10, 20:29
Cliff bars are horrid for you, but they do taste great!

What are you making that statement based on? They do have a bit of sugar, but it is real sugar (not high fructos corn syrup) which is not bad for you at all (as long as it's part of a balanced diet). They are made with real grain as opposed to enriched flours and have no hydrogonated oils. They have a decent fiber and protien content for non body builders and give you plenty of energy. They make great mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. Alot of this can't be said for many of the protien of meal replacement bars at places like GNC. Kashi also makes very good, and healthy bars.

seebee
02-25-10, 20:45
Chewing gum.
tuna at work that's gotta stink!!
what people do to stay in shape surprises the hell outta me.
If hungry and don't want to eat. drink water.. or chew gum.:cool:

randolph
02-26-10, 07:40
cliff bars rock :-)

every endurance racer in the world depends on them to get them thru events, I eat them biking, running, kayaking, good solid, balanced nutrition for energy...

Rob, muscle cant "turn to" fat. I know what you're trying to say, but it doesnt work that way...

rob_s
02-26-10, 09:37
Rob, muscle cant "turn to" fat. I know what you're trying to say, but it doesnt work that way...

I understand that it doesn't simply morph into fat, however if you maintain your intake and decrease your activity level, you're going to (at best) maintain your weight but the muscle with vanish to be replaced by fat and more likely actually wind up gaining even more weight back in fat, depending on just how aggressive your previous intake/activity was.

Stranger45
03-02-10, 15:33
Rob, care to share the workout you’re doing now?

Thanks,